• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: Jobs during the recession

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm stuck.

I've tried many well over a hundred, almost going to reach the 200 applications mark. I barely got 2 interviews out of those; Macy's and Apple Inc. I tried retails, companies, corporations from UPS to Starbucks. I even went down the corporate ladder to re-apply 3 times at McDonalds/Burger King etc. over the span of the year—and even they aren't hiring!

Since I have been a full-time student on financial aid, I have virtually no official experience. I lost this (Fall 2009) semester due to no money and financial aid being cut, and I don't want to lose the next semester.

I do have skills though in being a tech (hardware & software) computer aid, graphic and web designing. Better then some of the Apple guys! My people skills are not sharpened enough though.

So, fellow ENTPs (or whoever really) what ideas do you have in mind to get this 24-year old to work? ...Besides prostitution or selling cocaine!

Sincerely,

Timeless in San Francisco, California.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Can you contact agencies that help you look for work.
I doubt there is 0 jobs avalible in the market, even in recession.
Do you know why people are not hiring you and what qualifications you are missing?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
How are you marketing yourself? I agree with cloud that there is always a job somewhere. Have you had some other people look over your resume to make sure it isn't either arrogant or wishy-washy?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm stuck.

I've tried many well over a hundred, almost going to reach the 200 applications mark. I barely got 2 interviews out of those; Macy's and Apple Inc. I tried retails, companies, corporations from UPS to Starbucks. I even went down the corporate ladder to re-apply 3 times at McDonalds/Burger King etc. over the span of the year—and even they aren't hiring!

Since I have been a full-time student on financial aid, I have virtually no official experience. I lost this (Fall 2009) semester due to no money and financial aid being cut, and I don't want to lose the next semester.

I do have skills though in being a tech (hardware & software) computer aid, graphic and web designing. Better then some of the Apple guys! My people skills are not sharpened enough though.

So, fellow ENTPs (or whoever really) what ideas do you have in mind to get this 24-year old to work? ...Besides prostitution or selling cocaine!

Sincerely,

Timeless in San Francisco, California.

If you are that hard up then you might want to consider working for cash side jobs. Clean houses, detail cars, do light landscaping, fix people's PCs at their house, teach computer classes, etc.

For 3 years I worked full time as a software business analyst and worked the following side jobs: (1) waited tables at a BBQ place 15 hours per week, (2) Cleaned 2 people's houses every other weekend, (3) DJ'd at a local bar, (4) light landscaping (bush/tree/planting, mulching, etc.) All these were cash jobs, and I needed the money as I had two young kids at home with their Mommy.

Create your own work if you can. You set your hours and you set your pay, and make it in cash. :newwink:

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Can you contact agencies that help you look for work.
I doubt there is 0 jobs avalible in the market, even in recession.
Do you know why people are not hiring you and what qualifications you are missing?

I think it's because have zero customer service experience, retail experience, people experience, or plain lo' experience in general.

As for qualifications and what I think I'm missing; probably the heavy duty flash-based, or coding skills that most web developers have. That I don't have yet, but I still feel pretty confident one what I can do; besides I learned all this when I was a kid out of curiosity!

Check this out, I did this site for the family: Café Argüello

I just didn't make the entire website, I hand-took all the pictures, made the logo, menu, and event templates from scratch, and on top of that provided my own input for marketing and advertising campaigns. That site actually got voted most visually appealing twice by different editors. Sadly the restaurant has shut down (2000-2009).

Yes, that's on my resume.

P.S. Thanks for the reminder about the job agency, I gotta look for one now...

How are you marketing yourself? I agree with cloud that there is always a job somewhere. Have you had some other people look over your resume to make sure it isn't either arrogant or wishy-washy?
Since this has been a new field to me, the way I think I'm marketing myself is pretty simple. I don't try to come off as anything, I just be me, then again I do get a tad bit nervous when meeting managers and potential co-workers. When I'm alone that happens more often, when I'm with friends that rarely happens.

For example, when I was at the Macy's interview, I was competing against 40 other candidates, and at the Apple store it was 30. I was expecting a one-on-one interview, but nah, I had to kill the opposition which isn't in my loving nature. :laugh: Besides, I could not stand the fakeness in the air and mores be apart of that; to force it.

Anyhow—yeah, almost all of my friends, and their friends, whom all have jobs looked over my resume. I even had this guy who worked as a hiring manager for various corporations help me tweak it.

I improved it a lot. That's for sure.

If you are that hard up then you might want to consider working for cash side jobs. Clean houses, detail cars, do light landscaping, fix people's PCs at their house, teach computer classes, etc.

For 3 years I worked full time as a software business analyst and worked the following side jobs: (1) waited tables at a BBQ place 15 hours per week, (2) Cleaned 2 people's houses every other weekend, (3) DJ'd at a local bar, (4) light landscaping (bush/tree/planting, mulching, etc.) All these were cash jobs, and I needed the money as I had two young kids at home with their Mommy.

Create your own work if you can. You set your hours and you set your pay, and make it in cash. :newwink:
Yeah, I actually had that idea to start my own neighborhood tech/consulting/web start-up business. I just don't know what to actually "label" that type of business.

I've also check out that site craigslist every now and then, but most are just gigs, I'm looking for something steady. But I don't turn them down. I give it a go when I have the chance.

A couple of friends recommended I volunteer, I was initially resistant tot the idea at first, but I gave in and thought about it; where would I want to give my free time too? Only a few places came to mind; NASA Ames Research Center, the zoo and and probably youth-mentoring; no word from them so far...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Short answer: networking

Longer answer: Write a letter to several experienced higher ups that are in the field your interested in (I'm assuming graphic and web design). Make the letter professional and don't ask them for a job. Instead say you'd like to meet for lunch and get their advice about the career, because you are just starting out. A few days after you write them, give them a call and set up the lunch if they are willing.

During the lunch ask them questions about their career and about the field in general and what it's like in your local area. Then if ask if they know if anyone is hiring or if they know of other people that you can contact. Give them your resume if they are willing to take one. Once you get more names just keep repeating the process. Your name will be known in the local area, and you'll likely be hired before some company advertises that their looking for someone in a formal ad.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
As for qualifications and what I think I'm missing; probably the heavy duty flash-based, or coding skills that most web developers have. That I don't have yet, but I still feel pretty confident one what I can do; besides I learned all this when I was a kid out of curiosity!

Check this out, I did this site for the family: Café Argüello

I just didn't make the entire website, I hand-took all the pictures, made the logo, menu, and event templates from scratch, and on top of that provided my own input for marketing and advertising campaigns. That site actually got voted most visually appealing twice by different editors. Sadly the restaurant has shut down (2000-2009).

Yes, that's on my resume.

Just one website is not enough for a portfolio. If you are going into design, you should try to make more stuff that you can show to employers. Show everything you've got, if you can take good pictures show them, if you can write show them, your talents are your ammo, use them.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Join the military. You'll get life experience you'll hate while your in, but will be glad when it's over. Coming from experience, the military definately made me more social...and more patient. Plus free cruises if you join the Navy, HOW GREAT IS THAT!!

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I feel kind of guilty. I've got a couple interviews. And I'm not even seriously looking.

I'm in E. Bay.

Like others said, networking. Try meetup dot com. There are all types of groups there. Toastmasters is another option.

If you apply conventionally, you'll be competing against many.Think of other ways of finding those opportunities.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Network. Shamelessly whore yourself out. I hate looking for jobs just as much as you do.

Join the military. You'll get life experience you'll hate while your in, but will be glad when it's over. Coming from experience, the military definately made me more social...and more patient. Plus free cruises if you join the Navy, HOW GREAT IS THAT!!

Only have to worry about that slight risk of taking a bullet to the head on some godforsaken mountain pass on the other side of the world...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:hug:

I feel your pain.

The best thing to do, if you have ANY good ideas at all, is to start your own business. Preferably something that you can start off doing via a website, maybe attract people and get some ads clicked on.

There's plenty of unused talent out there right now willing to work cheaper than usual due to the dearth of jobs. In fact, I daresay this economy is a great opportunity for the right kind of entrepreneur.

If I had any good ideas, maybe some start-up funds, and could convince some investors, get someone competent to handle PR and HR, I'd start one myself.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Short answer: networking

Longer answer: Write a letter to several experienced higher ups that are in the field your interested in (I'm assuming graphic and web design). Make the letter professional and don't ask them for a job. Instead say you'd like to meet for lunch and get their advice about the career, because you are just starting out. A few days after you write them, give them a call and set up the lunch if they are willing.

During the lunch ask them questions about their career and about the field in general and what it's like in your local area. Then if ask if they know if anyone is hiring or if they know of other people that you can contact. Give them your resume if they are willing to take one. Once you get more names just keep repeating the process. Your name will be known in the local area, and you'll likely be hired before some company advertises that their looking for someone in a formal ad.
Hey man I like this a lot!

Thanks, I see what is being done here; simple networking.

I gotta remember that.

Just one website is not enough for a portfolio. If you are going into design, you should try to make more stuff that you can show to employers. Show everything you've got, if you can take good pictures show them, if you can write show them, your talents are your ammo, use them.
I only have one, I did have others, but I turned them to other developers who took over and re-did the designs; but never touched the foundation of the themes and stuff.

And yeah, I too believe my talents are the ammo, but there's only so much you can put. I actually did a lot of cut back on my resume as the hiring manager I knew told me to keep it to one page. Short and simple.

I feel kind of guilty. I've got a couple interviews. And I'm not even seriously looking.

I'm in E. Bay.

Like others said, networking. Try meetup dot com. There are all types of groups there. Toastmasters is another option.

If you apply conventionally, you'll be competing against many.Think of other ways of finding those opportunities.
Networking, networking, networking.

Alright got that...

Man, that's the LAST thing I would ever do. If, the time came where I had zero options left, I would join the Air Force, or at least the National Guard. The only thing I'll give my life up for is NASA and contributing to advance mankind in someway.

But man, an ENTP in the military? That's like having a wet sponge in the middle of a desert. :laugh:

Network. Shamelessly whore yourself out. I hate looking for jobs just as much as you do.

Only have to worry about that slight risk of taking a bullet to the head on some godforsaken mountain pass on the other side of the world...

Or worse, by this guy!

vlcsnap4397274ws8.png

P.S. Networking, networking, networking. K!

:hug:

I feel your pain.

The best thing to do, if you have ANY good ideas at all, is to start your own business. Preferably something that you can start off doing via a website, maybe attract people and get some ads clicked on.

There's plenty of unused talent out there right now willing to work cheaper than usual due to the dearth of jobs. In fact, I daresay this economy is a great opportunity for the right kind of entrepreneur.

If I had any good ideas, maybe some start-up funds, and could convince some investors, get someone competent to handle PR and HR, I'd start one myself.
Yeah, the other business idea I had was some of my designs I made for clothing, not simple t-shirt stuff, but actual quality designs. I already have the whole plan, and line of wear set to start, I just need a good foundation of money; I rather do it by myself (this is over half the reason why I'm looking for work); then if all goes well, I'll get some investors and the whole nine yards.

So much for being an ENTP: Fashion, Computers, Business, Photography, Astronomy... Aah!

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Lie. By the time they have figured it out (if they do) you'll know something. Seriously it's how I got a job years ago I wouldn't have gotten otherwise and if Id have done it recently I'd have a better job instead of going down the ladder. Employers in the end will f their employees when they choose so it's justifiable.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I almost forgot, but I just wanted to say thanks everybody.

I finally landed one!

P.S. TickTock, I did it without lying :) I'd never compromise my integrity and principles for anything.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

How about selling MDMA? It's easier to conceal.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I almost forgot, but I just wanted to say thanks everybody.

I finally landed one!

P.S. TickTock, I did it without lying :) I'd never compromise my integrity and principles for anything.

Good for you.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
... you want to send an ENTP into the military?

unless he gets to kick ass while wearing a sentient robotic exo-skeleton, I imagine that it wouldn't be a very good idea...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If money is what you're worried about you could volunteer abroad. You'd get some great life experience... and AFAIK the people you volunteer for provide everything for you.

If that's not the case then forgive my ignorance.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel your pain! I've been looking for a part-time or full-time job for the past 6 months or so, long story short, just to have something to do. Anyway this is what I've heard....

Employers who are hiring are promoting from the inside and opening up entry-level jobs. (they are able to pay at around entry-level pay for a more seasoned employee, fully taking advantage of the recession) As well, they are getting an over load of applications for every job posting. So, to make your application stand out you need to be very realistic about salary requirements. Look up average pay rates for the job you're applying to and undercut the amount as much as you can when asked about your salary requirements. Employers right now can afford to be very picky about their candidate. And a lot are getting more bang for their buck.

So basically it's all $$$$ folks.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
... you want to send an ENTP into the military?

unless he gets to kick ass while wearing a sentient robotic exo-skeleton, I imagine that it wouldn't be a very good idea...

Whatever, I did fine.

This misconception about the military is getting old, boot camp is only for the first 6 or 9 weeks. Its not like that all the time. It's like any other job (with way better paid training) and traveling. Any other job you have to show up at a specified time and do the specified work, the military is the same. If you can't make it there, than you're going to have more problems in any civilian job you go to.

And for the most part you get to pick your career field. The military can be a great decision for a lot of people. I find it hard to believe an ENTP couldn't thrive in that environment. They might butt heads with a few people, but thats going to happen anywhere.