• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: Jobs during the recession

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's like any other job (with way better paid training) and traveling.
huh? the fact that one could very likely be called to literally kill or be killed for their paycheck negates the idea that being in the military is like any other job.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
huh? the fact that one could very likely be called to literally kill or be killed for their paycheck negates the idea that being in the military is like any other job.

That is not what I was talking about but will explain anyway.

That is not ALL of the military. And you can avoid choosing infantry positions. Yes, the stereotype of the military is that they are all meatheads going in to kill/be killed. It is simply not true. Many hold jobs that don't go near a battlefield but are trained to use a weapon in case they are put in that position. Chaplains, firefighters, scientists, cooks, medical persons, the list goes on and on etc. Or Of course you can be put in the line of fire and could be killed or have to kill in the military, but that is not what I was talking about.

The military is like a town. You can get a job in any part of the town. Of course you could be killed working as a police officer or as a stay at home mom who is hit by a bus walking across the street.

But again, that was not what I was talking about. The misconception that certain types won't work in the military because they wouldn't be able to listen to superiors or follow the chain of command because of their type is what I was referring to. Yes, the ENTP has a mind of their own. But if they can't follow military command or would not be fit because they'd have to do something super cool like what I quoted earlier and the simpler jobs would be just too awful for them (and it is often said condescendingly and have people who were in before rolling their eyes)..... than that ENTP likely can't survive in the real world either. The military is quite like any other job, you have to show up on time, you have to do your assigned duties, just like a civilian job. It IS the same thing as a civilian job and not boot camp 24/7.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
... you want to send an ENTP into the military?

unless he gets to kick ass while wearing a sentient robotic exo-skeleton, I imagine that it wouldn't be a very good idea...

I must emphasize immediately that I meant this in light-natured (and perhaps inappropriate) jest. I'm a young, brash and frivolous ENTP who's often stubborn and uncomfortable with authority. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anybody in the military anywhere in the world. It is in fact to me one of the most respectable careers possibly fathomable; to risk your lives so that others may sleep peacefully at night.

I myself, being a Singaporean, will face 2 years of mandatory military service (I'm due to enlist in about 4 months time). I don't relish the idea, but I intend to approach it with an open mind and learn as much as I can from the experience. I am confident that I will have a good time and be able to adapt and survive accordingly, and I'm sure that anybody of any MBTI type would be able to do the same with the right attitude. All I meant was that an ENTP would probably prefer to be in a situation where he has free reins- I must emphasize again that that does not mean that we "can't do it". That is everything to do with attitude, discipline and EQ and little to do with your type itself.

To anybody who has served in the military and fought the good fight- you have my respect and gratitude. (Though what you would do with the respect and gratitude of a loudmouth know-it-all nobody, I wouldn't know either. :D)

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
But again, that was not what I was talking about. The misconception that certain types won't work in the military because they wouldn't be able to listen to superiors or follow the chain of command because of their type is what I was referring to. Yes, the ENTP has a mind of their own. But if they can't follow military command or would not be fit because they'd have to do something super cool like what I quoted earlier and the simpler jobs would be just too awful for them (and it is often said condescendingly and have people who were in before rolling their eyes)..... than that ENTP likely can't survive in the real world either.

I agree completely. Let's move on from there- once you've established that you are capable of following military command or doing simpler jobs, what do you do then? You said you "did fine" in the military (Respect to you, Sir!), so does that mean you're not in the military anymore? Do you mind if I ask why?

I think you will agree with me when I say that we must draw a clear distinction between a type being "unable to do X" and "most comfortable and effective when doing Y". My view (which I did not describe effectively, my apologies) is that you should always strive to do what you are most comfortable and effective at doing- for the sake of your own sanity and personal development. I once worked a menial labour job during some difficult times and I was treated like dirt by my supervisors, who did not know (or care) that I was more educated then them. It was a humbling experience that I learnt a lot from. I managed to grit my teeth and pull through, so in my case I am indeed able to do X- but I would still prefer to do Y, any day.

Of course, if X is the only option left, then you should go for it! You never know what you might learn about yourself and the world around you in the process. The inherent role chaos plays in life only makes things more exciting.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think the main idea is always, subjecting certain minds to a military command could be a waste of them. Doesnt tho mean that despite the military command they aint wasted from the start :)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
First of all, you're living in the worst place to be without a job.

Secondly, talk to all the real grown-ups and successful people. Tell them you're looking for work. Not looking for a job. Everyone has something they need someone to do. Having a real job is overrated. I work for myself. Health insurance is cheap if you have a high deductible and are young.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree completely. Let's move on from there- once you've established that you are capable of following military command or doing simpler jobs, what do you do then? You said you "did fine" in the military (Respect to you, Sir!), so does that mean you're not in the military anymore? Do you mind if I ask why?

I think you will agree with me when I say that we must draw a clear distinction between a type being "unable to do X" and "most comfortable and effective when doing Y". My view (which I did not describe effectively, my apologies) is that you should always strive to do what you are most comfortable and effective at doing- for the sake of your own sanity and personal development. I once worked a menial labour job during some difficult times and I was treated like dirt by my supervisors, who did not know (or care) that I was more educated then them. It was a humbling experience that I learnt a lot from. I managed to grit my teeth and pull through, so in my case I am indeed able to do X- but I would still prefer to do Y, any day.

Of course, if X is the only option left, then you should go for it! You never know what you might learn about yourself and the world around you in the process. The inherent role chaos plays in life only makes things more exciting.

Hey, I'm a lady!!!! Haha...anyway, yes I did separate from the military. I did my time, I had a child and being a single person w/child in the military wasn't a very good option. And I wanted to move on.

The military is really like any other job. You learn to follow the chain of command, you start off entry level, then work your way on up. So yes, I started out entry level in my field than "promoted" to higher jobs within the same career field. (and actually my gender really helped out here since this was a male dominated field and the very few females were desperately needed to do parts of the job the males couldn't do) And this is how it works with the rest of the military (a few exceptions.) Say you're working in the post office...first a sorter, than a stamper, than a supervisor of sorter/stampers etc. Very much the same.

So my point was really, if you got someone who is looking to work at a fast food joint for lack of any other options than they don't really have an intellectual high ground as an ENTP to look down on other jobs lol. I really didn't mean to pick at you, I've just seen this expressed on the board a few times and thought I'd say something.