User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I feel your pain.

The best thing to do, if you have ANY good ideas at all, is to start your own business. Preferably something that you can start off doing via a website, maybe attract people and get some ads clicked on.

There's plenty of unused talent out there right now willing to work cheaper than usual due to the dearth of jobs. In fact, I daresay this economy is a great opportunity for the right kind of entrepreneur.

If I had any good ideas, maybe some start-up funds, and could convince some investors, get someone competent to handle PR and HR, I'd start one myself.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Short answer: networking

Longer answer: Write a letter to several experienced higher ups that are in the field your interested in (I'm assuming graphic and web design). Make the letter professional and don't ask them for a job. Instead say you'd like to meet for lunch and get their advice about the career, because you are just starting out. A few days after you write them, give them a call and set up the lunch if they are willing.

During the lunch ask them questions about their career and about the field in general and what it's like in your local area. Then if ask if they know if anyone is hiring or if they know of other people that you can contact. Give them your resume if they are willing to take one. Once you get more names just keep repeating the process. Your name will be known in the local area, and you'll likely be hired before some company advertises that their looking for someone in a formal ad.
    Hey man I like this a lot!

Thanks, I see what is being done here; simple networking.

I gotta remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinel View Post
    Just one website is not enough for a portfolio. If you are going into design, you should try to make more stuff that you can show to employers. Show everything you've got, if you can take good pictures show them, if you can write show them, your talents are your ammo, use them.
    I only have one, I did have others, but I turned them to other developers who took over and re-did the designs; but never touched the foundation of the themes and stuff.

And yeah, I too believe my talents are the ammo, but there's only so much you can put. I actually did a lot of cut back on my resume as the hiring manager I knew told me to keep it to one page. Short and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I feel kind of guilty. I've got a couple interviews. And I'm not even seriously looking.

I'm in E. Bay.

Like others said, networking. Try meetup dot com. There are all types of groups there. Toastmasters is another option.

If you apply conventionally, you'll be competing against many.Think of other ways of finding those opportunities.
    Networking, networking, networking.

Alright got that...

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Join the military. You'll get life experience you'll hate while your in, but will be glad when it's over. Coming from experience, the military definately made me more social...and more patient. Plus free cruises if you join the Navy, HOW GREAT IS THAT!!
    Man, that's the LAST thing I would ever do. If, the time came where I had zero options left, I would join the Air Force, or at least the National Guard. The only thing I'll give my life up for is NASA and contributing to advance mankind in someway.

But man, an ENTP in the military? That's like having a wet sponge in the middle of a desert.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Network. Shamelessly whore yourself out. I hate looking for jobs just as much as you do.

Only have to worry about that slight risk of taking a bullet to the head on some godforsaken mountain pass on the other side of the world...
    Or worse, by this guy!

P.S. Networking, networking, networking. K!

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

I feel your pain.

The best thing to do, if you have ANY good ideas at all, is to start your own business. Preferably something that you can start off doing via a website, maybe attract people and get some ads clicked on.

There's plenty of unused talent out there right now willing to work cheaper than usual due to the dearth of jobs. In fact, I daresay this economy is a great opportunity for the right kind of entrepreneur.

If I had any good ideas, maybe some start-up funds, and could convince some investors, get someone competent to handle PR and HR, I'd start one myself.
    Yeah, the other business idea I had was some of my designs I made for clothing, not simple t-shirt stuff, but actual quality designs. I already have the whole plan, and line of wear set to start, I just need a good foundation of money; I rather do it by myself (this is over half the reason why I'm looking for work); then if all goes well, I'll get some investors and the whole nine yards.

So much for being an ENTP: Fashion, Computers, Business, Photography, Astronomy... Aah!

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Lie. By the time they have figured it out (if they do) you'll know something. Seriously it's how I got a job years ago I wouldn't have gotten otherwise and if Id have done it recently I'd have a better job instead of going down the ladder. Employers in the end will f their employees when they choose so it's justifiable.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

I almost forgot, but I just wanted to say thanks everybody.

I finally landed one!

P.S. TickTock, I did it without lying I'd never compromise my integrity and principles for anything.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    So, fellow ENTPs (or whoever really) what ideas do you have in mind to get this 24-year old to work? ...Besides prostitution or selling cocaine!
    How about selling MDMA? It's easier to conceal.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I almost forgot, but I just wanted to say thanks everybody.

I finally landed one!

P.S. TickTock, I did it without lying I'd never compromise my integrity and principles for anything.
    Good for you.

... you want to send an ENTP into the military?

unless he gets to kick ass while wearing a sentient robotic exo-skeleton, I imagine that it wouldn't be a very good idea...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If money is what you're worried about you could volunteer abroad. You'd get some great life experience... and AFAIK the people you volunteer for provide everything for you.

If that's not the case then forgive my ignorance.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP

I feel your pain! I've been looking for a part-time or full-time job for the past 6 months or so, long story short, just to have something to do. Anyway this is what I've heard....

Employers who are hiring are promoting from the inside and opening up entry-level jobs. (they are able to pay at around entry-level pay for a more seasoned employee, fully taking advantage of the recession) As well, they are getting an over load of applications for every job posting. So, to make your application stand out you need to be very realistic about salary requirements. Look up average pay rates for the job you're applying to and undercut the amount as much as you can when asked about your salary requirements. Employers right now can afford to be very picky about their candidate. And a lot are getting more bang for their buck.

So basically it's all $$$$ folks.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    ... you want to send an ENTP into the military?

unless he gets to kick ass while wearing a sentient robotic exo-skeleton, I imagine that it wouldn't be a very good idea...
    Whatever, I did fine.

This misconception about the military is getting old, boot camp is only for the first 6 or 9 weeks. Its not like that all the time. It's like any other job (with way better paid training) and traveling. Any other job you have to show up at a specified time and do the specified work, the military is the same. If you can't make it there, than you're going to have more problems in any civilian job you go to.

And for the most part you get to pick your career field. The military can be a great decision for a lot of people. I find it hard to believe an ENTP couldn't thrive in that environment. They might butt heads with a few people, but thats going to happen anywhere.