User Tag List

123 Last

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default INTP and being sentimental

So I was thinking about how much you think the introverted sensing has to do with INTPs having bouts of sentimental and melancholic moods.

I have them plenty, the older I get and I seem to attribute songs to different people in a melancholic way. Like for my deceased grandparents and when I listen to them the emotions stirs up in me and I enjoy it. I actually enjoy the feelings of melancholia more than I enjoy feelings in the present moment.

I understand this can be universally attributed to all types but I just want the INTPs view on this.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Well, I'm an ENTP with inferior Si, and I still feel sentimental about silly little things. This is really one of the only ways that I experience my Si. I don't get sad though; it's kind of comforting.

MBTI
    xxxx

I've gotten less sentimental as I've gotten older. That, or maybe I've merely tried to make more sense of those connections. I've seen many sentimental connections as nothing more than inhibition, holding onto a past by whose memory nothing more can be brought to the present. I've tried to break every such connection I have, some not successfully. I've reasoned that it's probably not a good idea to sever those connections that allowed for my normal attachment and subsequent normal development when I was younger. Ignoring those, I've tried to kick attachment to all the little things that make any decision regarding them nigh impossible.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I am reverse sentimental about things that remind me of not nice things... like how I had to get rid of all the books and papers from high school as soon as I graduated. I think that's the main way I experience Si, in relation to negative things. My inability to tolerate cold definitely has emotional roots.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Hot and cold with me.

Some of the most touching moments I am dead inside.

Then there is a silly interaction and im all mushy fuzzy warm and teary eyed.

Then I notice I hurt someone’s feelings I love or like allot and think its funny the twisted look on their face as they look like their insides just got twisted out of them (rare but poignant enough to be off-putting)

Fe inferior is messed up trick.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I get sentimental about things relating to family - especially my immediate family. I'm kind of a sucker for memories that remind me of a bygone pleasure of my youth (video games tend to bring me back - Secret of Mana reminds me of happy times in middle school, for instance).

Nostalgia is normal, so long as it doesn't distract from the present.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've always enjoyed melancholia and bittersweet feelings, and nowadays at my age I get a lot of nostalgic feelings when I go places where I grew up or I listen to the music I listened to when young or play games I did when young or read books, etc.

It's actually sort of cool to feel things and not just dismiss them. I don't need to feel threatened just because I feel something, it's just part of my life that I can embrace and enjoy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I've been searching for nostalgia since I was in the third grade. =\

Although, this weekend I downloaded a torrent of 250 songs from the 90's and I've been having a blast swimming in nostalgia.

I wish I was a little bit taller
    I wish I was a baller
    I wish I had a girl that looked good
    I would call her

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala.

B^)
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Wow, I always wished I could be sentimental. I save a lot of crap just because I am too lazy to organize anything, so if you call that pile on the floor "saving"...

When I do get around to organizing, I have been known to toss anything that adds more clutter to my life or requires dusting. My INTP cousin has gasped at me shredding cards and letters people have sent me, chucking baby teeth and mix tapes. Out with the old and in with the new, I always say. Inferior Si, ftw.

My INTP bf has a crazy amount of toys collected from his youth. I just don't get it.

The one thing I hold on to is photographs. But it's more about the morbid curiosity I have about the aging process. I've taken photos of people obsessively since I was a kid, basically to document how people age and to see if my theories are correct (e.g. - I have a theory that whatever hair pattern a baby boy is born with is the same one he'll end up with and I haven't been proven wrong yet as I watch my brother and cousins lose their hair in the same balding patterns they had at birth). So, yeah.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Wow, I always wished I could be sentimental. I save a lot of crap just because I am too lazy to organize anything, so if you call that pile on the floor "saving"...

When I do get around to organizing, I have been known to toss anything that adds more clutter to my life or requires dusting. My INTP cousin has gasped at me shredding cards and letters people have sent me, chucking baby teeth and mix tapes. Out with the old and in with the new, I always say. Inferior Si, ftw.

My INTP bf has a crazy amount of toys collected from his youth. I just don't get it.

The one thing I hold on to is photographs. But it's more about the morbid curiosity I have about the aging process. I've taken photos of people obsessively since I was a kid, basically to document how people age and to see if my theories are correct (e.g. - I have a theory that whatever hair pattern a baby boy is born with is the same one he'll end up with and I haven't been proven wrong yet as I watch my brother and cousins lose their hair in the same balding patterns they had at birth). So, yeah.
    I'm the same. I've always been known for not giving a crap about keeping my old records, art, writings, photos, toys, or anything that most people would keep for sentimental reasons. It's kind of bitten me in the ass here recently, because I've been looking for tokens from my past that might lend some insight to my type, and I don't have anything. Ah, well.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness