User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: P Perfectionism

MBTI
    INTP

Default P Perfectionism

I was going to call this "INTP Perfectionism", but hey, all Ps are welcome. But, eh, mostly NTPs I expect. Hence, NT forum. Whatever.

Story time! I'll bold the important parts because this is really long.

Once, I had a school project to make a board game based on medieval life. Pretty much the only instruction we had was that it had to include questions for the players to answer. Well, I spent all night making a very elaborate game board--shaped like a cross, very detailed, beautiful Gothic lettering, hand-drawn pieces that looked like little pilgrims. It was called Pious Pious Pilgrims, and it was based on Pretty Pretty Princess. Instead of jewelry, there were capes and hats for you to collect and wear. But? I didn't make any questions. I didn't forget, I just didn't feel like it. When I finished the board around 3 am, I said, "Screw the questions, my awesome board makes up for it," and went to bed. Of course, people who followed directions but put in a lot less effort than me got a higher grade. I still got a B or something though, so no regrets.

The topic of my college admission essay was a project I did at summer camp when I took a fashion design class, something I stayed up all night doing just because, when I could have finished it in an hour--or not done at all, considering it was a summer class that didn't matter at all. Again, something I made ridiculously elaborate when I didn't stand to gain anything from it.

There were a lot of things my teacher and admission counselor took issue with when I wrote that essay--for example, I made a point to write that I had never put that amount of effort into a school project that was actually required of me. When I was talking to my teacher, and she tried to help me temper it into something more attractive to the people who were going to read my applications--she kept making suggestions like, "Say how you thrive under pressure. You like working against a deadline," while I would answer, "But... that's not true." I wish I'd saved a copy of the original draft, not the edited one I turned in, because that first one was much better and truer, I think.

It ended up working out fine--she still thought I was sending out a "dangerous" essay, while I was regarding the essay as more of a way for me to weed out colleges I didn't want to go to (since my SATs were far above the range for any of the schools I was applying to and my grades were fine). For example, UCLA rejected me, and thank god, because I would have hated it there. (But, uh, I don't like the institution I did end up in so much so maybe it wasn't a perfect strategy.)

A recent project I had was to design a church, pretending to be Borromini, designing something he would have made. Well, I hated this. Now, this is partially because I am just really, really lazy, and the only way to do it right was to do a lot of research. Partially because I am really, really resistant to extrinsic motivators, and therefore can never enjoy any school project. So you can call this rationalization for my laziness, but part of what made me have such a hard time was that the project was sort of doomed to failure--of course I couldn't make anything that was really Borromini, no matter how much research I did, because I'm not him. Similar to my issue with when I had to write a paper on the synoptic gospels last year--how many times in the past 2000 years has this been done before, much better than I will be able to? Or any paper lately--I have to pretend to be an expert, when I'm not, and don't tell me I just need to do more research, because I could live in the library for the next two months and not be an expert--people have dedicated lifetimes to this topic!

Okay. Less of me whining. Tell me your stories about weird NTP perfectionism.

MBTI
    ENTP

I guess mine would be cooking,

As a kid I was fanatical about cooking ad getting recipies right. I would practice if I had to make something i was unsure about.

Now-a-days I practice small quantitites if I'm making something for a big party of the equivelent. I made Chocolate Nemisis for a bring and share party, and I practiced it about 4 time sin order to ensure it came out right.

After that there is little I recognise to be perfectionisim, but in reality there are LOADS of things I am really fusy about the standard off.

I find buying bad quality offends me, and spending money on things I don't think are up to scratch, which I sometimes have to do at work... it bugs me

MBTI
    xxxx

This is where the skill of "bullshitting" comes in handy. I never did school projects beyond what I needed to do. Sure, I never got a single bonus point for creativity/style, but I saved a fair deal of time. I had friends with roughly my same coursework, but I slept an average 2 hours more per night than they did. I'm not enough of a masochist to think that the only justification for my existence is suffering by overdoing everything.

I shall admit that there was a period of time in which I fell into some sort of perfectionism trap. However, after I came to the conclusion that output, not input, was the key to any sort of "success," I got out of that trap.

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    and therefore can never enjoy any school project.
    Wait, those were designed to be enjoyed?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I get really perfectionistic (I'm coining that word for the time being) when writing papers. I want to make sure I find the best words to accurately express my thoughts on the matter.

Also, I tend to get perfectionistic with video games. I always want to uncover all the little secrets and tricks, and this requires the utmost attention to detail.

Honestly, I invest a lot of my time in any tasks that I really care about and find enjoyable, and usually these warrant a self-desired stellar performance from me.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Also, I tend to get perfectionistic with video games. I always want to uncover all the little secrets and tricks, and this requires the utmost attention to detail.
    Ah yes, video game perfectionism. Unlocking every little nuance, complete every small task. I'd guess that for this reason video game designers started allowing one to continue playing AFTER the final boss and/or level was defeated. (to the makers of Zelda, please take note)
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hm. I don't know if I aim for perfectionism, but just doing a good job in general. I have to throw these "life is a game" tricks in my head to get things done some times, and when I see something as a challenge, I don't want to beat it, I want to dominate it.

Maybe dominate is a bad word. I like to put in a lot of creativity into the project. I remember working on a presentation for my English class with a bunch of SJs, and when I proposed these crazy ideas that would have our teacher's jaw on the floor (which I was willing to do), my group looked at me funny and asked, "what? Why?" I was tempted to answer, "why the hell not?"
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    eNFP

I'm a mess with this. Take all of those perfectionist qualities, and then add them to a person who's a complete and utter procrastinator.

Project? Throw it together at midnight the night before. Paper? Sleep until two a.m., then wake up, then write the paper until five a.m. Presentation? Make it up. On the spot. What can I say, I'm resourceful.

The thing is, I've done this since before I can remember. I've gotten damn good at improvisation, because everything I make comes out damn good. I can't make myself do things until they have to be done, then I kick some serious project ass.

Some people think that's a good thing, but it stresses the heck out of me.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I thought perfectionism was more of an xNTJ trait.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTP

Wise words:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    J's are somewhat anal retentive about many things. P's are very anal retentive about few things.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ectionist.html

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

^

And?
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.