User Tag List

First 123

Thread: P Perfectionism

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    In high school botany, we had to make an educational board game, so I designed it as a pseudo-Jeopardy-meets-Chutes-and-Ladders. Basically, you moved forward or back depending on if you got questions right or not...maybe we had a die, but I can't remember.

Anyway, I designed the board in such a way that the game itself was unbeatable, but it was cleverly designed to look as though you could. Ahahaha, we had other kids play our games and I cackled in sadistic glee as they masochistically continued to try to beat my game. In my defense, by having an unbeatable game to work as a study guide, you would eventually learn all the answers to the trivia. :evil:
    DEFINITELY something I would do!! Hell, I'll have to try that sometime....
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a musician, and I'm a die-hard perfectionist.
    Every guitar tone needs to 'hit the spot'
    Every vocal note needs to be ridiculously perfect.
    Every layer, every nuance, every little bit of detail needs to be handled.

It gets annoying, and sometimes being too much of a perfectionist saps the soul from the task at hand. Sometimes, you just need to go with the flow (I believe INFPs are particularly good at this). Other times, however, perfectionism will place you a head and above others, will separate you from the mediocre; it's all a matter of knowing when to apply your idiosyncrasies!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by astroninja View Post
    I'm a musician, and I'm a die-hard perfectionist.
    Every guitar tone needs to 'hit the spot'
    Every vocal note needs to be ridiculously perfect.
    Every layer, every nuance, every little bit of detail needs to be handled.

It gets annoying, and sometimes being too much of a perfectionist saps the soul from the task at hand. Sometimes, you just need to go with the flow (I believe INFPs are particularly good at this). Other times, however, perfectionism will place you a head and above others, will separate you from the mediocre; it's all a matter of knowing when to apply your idiosyncrasies!
    This was the bane of my musical life. I used to beat myself up endlessly trying to find the right tone, note, feel, effect, blahblahblah...
    I've decided that the pursuit of perfection is always destructive. Now I try to achieve 'excellence'. Perfectionism doesn't let you breathe freely.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Two main things:

First off, I'm a lethargic perfectionist. I want everything to be flawless, but don't want to invest the effort to make it so. Yeah... we can see how that works just fine XD

That being said, I do actually put excessive effort into things I enjoy, but I've also come to the second conclusion... perfectionism is pointless; it takes 10 times the effort to get that last 5-10%. Being 90-95% perfect at something and then diverting yeur time and resources into something else allows yeu to be excellent at a great many things very quickly. Striving to reach that 100% in a single field is generally a waste of time as most people can't tell the difference anyway, and it's practically useless in virtually all situations. I'd rather just be excessively good at everything than godlike at a single thing and fail forever at everything else.

Also, school is not about perfection; it's about memorization. If yeu have a good memory, yeu do well in grade-high school. Skill's only appreciated in post-secondary, and even then alot of the time it's not.