User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: P Perfectionism

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    I thought perfectionism was more of an xNTJ trait.
    P's are perfectionists when it comes to procrastination.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, there have been threads on this topic before, I started a new one because I was hoping to hear stories.

But... traditional perfectionism is a J trait, but Ps have our own twisted form of perfectionism. I think the usual motivation for extreme procrastination is a form of perfectionism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah I think there is NP perfectionism in things that we care about. My house could be a wreck, I could be late for work, I could have my hair still damp from the shower and thrown up into a clip, and I could give flying fuck about spelling and grammar...BUT if I'm writing a paper for a class, it must be "just so" and I'll stress myself out sometimes even before I start because I want the paper to be so great...even if it's just for some class and I'm not likely to publish it or anything. I also hate for people to smoke cigarettes in my house. They can wear their shoes in the house, drop their cake crumbs on the carpet, and try on my cosmetics, but if somebody lights up a cig I'm instantly like, "go out on the porch NOW."

From what I understand NP perfectionism always sort of takes that tone - it's only for certain, random things we are strongly interested in or care about.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I'm a mess with this. Take all of those perfectionist qualities, and then add them to a person who's a complete and utter procrastinator.

Project? Throw it together at midnight the night before. Paper? Sleep until two a.m., then wake up, then write the paper until five a.m. Presentation? Make it up. On the spot. What can I say, I'm resourceful.

The thing is, I've done this since before I can remember. I've gotten damn good at improvisation, because everything I make comes out damn good. I can't make myself do things until they have to be done, then I kick some serious project ass.

Some people think that's a good thing, but it stresses the heck out of me.
    I'm exactly like this too, and as I mentioned, sometimes it's because I'm afraid to start.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    ENTP

In school, I always try to do the least effort I possibly can. School is already too much stress, and I'd rather spend 45 minutes to get a B, than to spend 4 hours to possibly get an A, but then instead receive a D. I had a physics class with a teacher that hated everyone...but she liked me and 3 other students who actually found loopholes in her directions and exploited them to save time.

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I get really perfectionistic (I'm coining that word for the time being) when writing papers. I want to make sure I find the best words to accurately express my thoughts on the matter.

Also, I tend to get perfectionistic with video games. I always want to uncover all the little secrets and tricks, and this requires the utmost attention to detail.

Honestly, I invest a lot of my time in any tasks that I really care about and find enjoyable, and usually these warrant a self-desired stellar performance from me.
    Exactly. I would say for me, it would also come for when I'm trying to articulate my true viewpoint on something, even in speech.

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I get really perfectionistic (I'm coining that word for the time being) when writing papers. I want to make sure I find the best words to accurately express my thoughts on the matter.

Also, I tend to get perfectionistic with video games. I always want to uncover all the little secrets and tricks, and this requires the utmost attention to detail.
    Hah, yessss. These would be mine as well.

The vocabulary thing also comes into play in everyday conversation for me sometimes. When someone's not making sense, I like to clarify their ideas for them. Most SJ's get pissed off when I do this.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by paintmuffin View Post
    Hah, yessss. These would be mine as well.

The vocabulary thing also comes into play in everyday conversation for me sometimes. When someone's not making sense, I like to clarify their ideas for them. Most SJ's get pissed off when I do this.
    Yes! This is one thing I do most often.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

In high school botany, we had to make an educational board game, so I designed it as a pseudo-Jeopardy-meets-Chutes-and-Ladders. Basically, you moved forward or back depending on if you got questions right or not...maybe we had a die, but I can't remember.

Anyway, I designed the board in such a way that the game itself was unbeatable, but it was cleverly designed to look as though you could. Ahahaha, we had other kids play our games and I cackled in sadistic glee as they masochistically continued to try to beat my game. In my defense, by having an unbeatable game to work as a study guide, you would eventually learn all the answers to the trivia. :evil:
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    In high school botany, we had to make an educational board game, so I designed it as a pseudo-Jeopardy-meets-Chutes-and-Ladders. Basically, you moved forward or back depending on if you got questions right or not...maybe we had a die, but I can't remember.

Anyway, I designed the board in such a way that the game itself was unbeatable, but it was cleverly designed to look as though you could. Ahahaha, we had other kids play our games and I cackled in sadistic glee as they masochistically continued to try to beat my game. In my defense, by having an unbeatable game to work as a study guide, you would eventually learn all the answers to the trivia. :evil:
    You're smart.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Hahaha I love you.