User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Default NT Extroverts - Do you need other people around to be most productive?

This is embarrassing, because it feels like a form of weakness, but I have a lot of difficulty getting work done if people aren't there. I don't need to talk to them or know them or involve them or anything. I just need them around and visible or else my brain turns to sludge.

Does anyone else get ten times more work done around people than alone? Should I buy some cardboard cutouts?
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

The only NT type that this rings particularly true for is ENTP, but yes, it's absolutely true for me as well.

I guess it is a weakness in a way, but it's also a strength. I have trouble self-motivating without other people to bounce ideas off of. I chalk it up to Ne never really knowing if its ideas are any good without external validation.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The only NT type that this rings particularly true for is ENTP, but yes, it's absolutely true for me as well.

I guess it is a weakness in a way, but it's also a strength. I have trouble self-motivating without other people to bounce ideas off of. I chalk it up to Ne never really knowing if its ideas are any good without external validation.

So what is the strength? Ideas with more real world validity? (that doesn't even sound right to me, and I wrote it)
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

Really? I'm the opposite. But then I'm smack in the middle on the E/I scale.
    When I have work to do, I must be alone and shut my door.
    Then when someone dares interrupt my concentration by yelling upstairs I get pissed.
    My voice escalates in volume as I yell "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!"

I have never been able to figure out why the hell people go to Starbucks with their laptop to work.
    If I am around people, the noise alone will cause me to read the same damn sentence over and over and over.
    I mumble, "Fuck me!" and I get up and leave.

Lol.

I am exactly the other way around . (if we generalize)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My voice escalates in volume as I yell "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!"

I imagined your avatar doing this. It was funny.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I perefer to have some stimulation, definitely. It can be people, music, or just background noise.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Sometimes I sink too far into Ni daydreaming if there isn't some sort of environmental stimulus to keep me in the here and now.

I can't concentrate on my work when there's just one conversation going on around me, but yes, a cafeteria buzz or a coffeshop with music and lots of talking is actually helpful. That being said, I prefer to work in my bedroom at home because then all of my resources are always with me (I tend to synthesize lots of sources into a paper, so when my Ni draws it in I get frustrated when what I want to add into my paper is not there to flesh out the idea).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I just need them around and visible or else my brain turns to sludge.
    I'm also the opposite. The more people that are around, the more my brain seems to turn to sludge. What I can relate to, is often times I need the TV or talk radio on in the background if I'm doing some form of productive work. It's kind of like you said - I don't need to be talking to the person, but I want someone talking in the background (preferably a radio/TV because I won't be required to talk back or interact).

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I can't concentrate on my work when there's just one conversation going on around me, but yes, a cafeteria buzz or a coffeshop with music and lots of talking is actually helpful. That being said, I prefer to work in my bedroom at home because then all of my resources are always with me (I tend to synthesize lots of sources into a paper, so when my Ni draws it in I get frustrated when what I want to add into my paper is not there to flesh out the idea).
    Interesting. I'm in my own head so much, that I really enjoy "going out" and hearing the sounds of city life as you mention, but not for the sake of Ti. If I take a book or my laptop to a coffee shop, for instance, I just can't concentrate. I like the "buzz" around me in these places, but I'd rather just sit and casually read a newspaper and sip some coffee. I guess I'm too self aware (plus I like to people watch) to really get deep into something when others are around.

Even when I go to the library or a bookstore, I'm there only to pick out a book, not to stay and read it. I get my book, go home, close the door and read without any form of distraction. Seems to be the only way I can really take in what I'm reading in a way that I can process it clearly and make sense out of it. When others are around, I can read the book, but I'm so aware of everything else that's going on (hey there's that cute girl I saw last week!, what the heck is that guy doing?, the lady making coffee looks depressed), that it breaks up any kind of flow to what I'm reading. Maybe public outings are my chance to practice Si.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I can't get work done alone, but I also can't get work done when there are people around either. So I settle for getting half-assed work done around other people.