User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I'd say that being around people fuels my creativity. I don't need to be around people while I am in the process of completing a task, but when it comes to generating ideas, people in my vicinity can be quite helpful. Other people offer a stimulus with which I can work. Somebody says X, I hear it, and it causes a cascade of ideas to go off in my mind, leading to Y to Z to AJK!#AJ%$GD&RI. Then I can talk about my ideas and have them critiqued/enhanced by an outsider's perspective.

It's definitely more helpful when I know the people too; with new groups and acquaintances, I'm more focused on analyzing and understanding than I am on generating my own novel thoughts.

However, people are usually a distraction once I am actually working through the nitty-gritty process of realizing an idea (ie writing papers, researching, carrying out a project). I'm pretty easily sidetracked, and if somebody says or does something that sets off a creative cascade, I'll subconsciously convince myself that the time spent focusing on my explosion of new ideas is worth the time not spent on the original task. It kind of sucks when I actually have a deadline, but it's ultimately more fun that way.

When I'm alone, I often find myself desperately seeking for something or someone to fuel my mind and set me off on some nonsensical tangent. I'm more content when my mind has some kind of buddy around.

MBTI
    ENTP

am I the only ENTP who is not mad keen on brainstorming? I like to have individuals to think with, but I find groups actually prohibitive because they get in the way of the flow. If i have to go to one, I'll try and rock up in the last 15 minutes and double or tripple the list...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    This is embarrassing, because it feels like a form of weakness, but I have a lot of difficulty getting work done if people aren't there. I don't need to talk to them or know them or involve them or anything. I just need them around and visible or else my brain turns to sludge.
    If it makes you feel better, I'm literally the opposite: with people around I can't get anything done. I shine best when I'm alone often. If people are around, it can be so draining and distracting even if they're not doing anything.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    am I the only ENTP who is not mad keen on brainstorming? I like to have individuals to think with, but I find groups actually prohibitive because they get in the way of the flow. If i have to go to one, I'll try and rock up in the last 15 minutes and double or tripple the list...
    Well, obviously it depends on the group. If I'm around a bunch of SPs, I'm probably not going to have a particularly great brainstorming session because their ideas are just so mundane to me (as are mine to them), and we just operate on completely different wavelengths.

The same is kind of true for SJs; I'll say one thing, and they just start asking all these specific questions, and I'm like "LETS JUST WORRY ABOUT THAT LATER OK!? I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A BRANCHING-OUT SESSION RIGHT NOW!" These guys definitely "get in the way of the flow."

Other NPs and INxJs are great though; they value the same kind of abstract thought processes that I do, and I find them extremely enjoyable to work with.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Well, obviously it depends on the group. If I'm around a bunch of SPs, I'm probably not going to have a particularly great brainstorming session because their ideas are just so mundane to me (as are mine to them), and we just operate on completely different wavelengths.

The same is kind of true for SJs; I'll say one thing, and they just start asking all these specific questions, and I'm like "LETS JUST WORRY ABOUT THAT LATER OK!? I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A BRANCHING-OUT SESSION RIGHT NOW!" These guys definitely "get in the way of the flow."

Other NPs and INxJs are great though; they value the same kind of abstract thought processes that I do, and I find them extremely enjoyable to work with.
    LOL you might have caught me out on why I avoid brainstorms these days....

I have a bro who when he was 3 - 6 ears old use to watch Tom and Jerry cartoons on the TV and scream thats not possible.....

Brainstormign with people who don't get the question - wull spend 50% of their time decoding the question rather than generating ideas. SO fructrating, so once they ahve navel gazed for half the time......

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

You didn't mention ENFJ's and ENTJ's. Out of curiousity, how do you find the interaction with those types? More in-line with the SJ's? Or somewhere in between the NP's and the SJ's?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    You didn't mention ENFJ's and ENTJ's. Out of curiousity, how do you find the interaction with those types? More in-line with the SJ's? Or somewhere in between the NP's and the SJ's?
    Interactions with ENxJs are fun for a bit, but I think I start annoying them in the long-run. They don't take me seriously, and most think I would be a lot more "productive" if I took more action. This is especially true of ENTJs. It always turns into "Ok that's a good idea. You want to go try it out now?" ENTJs are also kind of prone to dissecting all the errors inherent within my ideas, and that makes brainstorming less fun some times.

ENFJs also get tired of the constant banter, but they are at least pretty good at humoring me; though eventually it becomes just that: them humoring me.

I guess when it comes to actually getting something done, it's good to have ENxJs around though. They are smart AND focused, so they help to keep me focused, even though they can be annoying. I'd never marry an ENTJ, but I might take one in as a business partner

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Interactions with ENxJs are fun for a bit, but I think I start annoying them in the long-run. They don't take me seriously, and most think I would be a lot more "productive" if I took more action. This is especially true of ENTJs. It always turns into "Ok that's a good idea. You want to go try it out now?" ENTJs are also kind of prone to dissecting all the errors inherent within my ideas, and that makes brainstorming less fun some times.

ENFJs also get tired of the constant banter, but they are at least pretty good at humoring me; though eventually it becomes just that: them humoring me.

I guess when it comes to actually getting something done, it's good to have ENxJs around though. They are smart AND focused, so they help to keep me focused, even though they can be annoying. I'd never marry an ENTJ, but I might take one in as a business partner
    I'd have to agree with your assessments all the way through (SP's, SJ's, and all the N's). While I agree with you and can definitely relate, I'm not sure I could have ever articulated it as well or clearly as you did, probably for the simple fact that I typically only have my Ne shoes on for about 20 hours/week.

But yeah, ENxJ's definitely have my respect. They're just harder to goof around with.

MBTI
    eNTP

ABSOLUTELY. Study groups, writing papers over the phone, video chat, you name it -- it's the only way I can focus! I can't sit down and concentrate on something in a closed environment. Such... a short ... attention span.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And while it's extremely difficult for me to do any sort of manual or physical task without music, I cannot deal with people speaking to me in those moments. I simply can't have someone talking to me when I am doing the dishes or cleaning the house because it takes me out of the zone. If I'm puttering around, chances are that you should not be speaking to me because I don't want to get distracted from my main goal.
    sounds EXACTLY like me.
    and for this reason, me + manual tasks = fail.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.