• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Aw :wubbie:

Well, since this thread was, I'm honored and surprised to say, inspired by the one I started, I might as well ask a question too!

What inspires you ENTPs to do things so differently? Is it that you trust your own judgment more than you trust the system? That you get bored with the "traditional" route?

LiquidLaser's post is very to the point, but I'll add my ideas too.

In the didactics course I took last year, a "problem" was defined as something to which you didn't know the answer/solution immediately.
Eg. to me, computing an integral is not a problem, because I know how to do it. It's a routine. To others, computing an integral would be a problem indeed. On the other hand, finding my way when driving is a hard problem for me and would be not a problem for someone else.

If the question is not a problem, I will solve it the traditional way. The integral will be computed right away. If I'm doing dishes, you wouldn't be able to discern me from an SJ. (I will have to correct this picture and will do this soon.)

But when I'm solving problems... I'll get a million ideas first and test them out before some reason (Te?) kicks in and tells me to look it up, to ask,... and then I ignore it because my way was just so much more fun.

If there aren't any problems in my life, I create them, because life without problems is boring. I'll ask for problems. Eg. starting the "ask an ENTP" thread is one of these. Your question is not easy and I'm solving it now in the ENTP way, writing down all sorts of ideas. Afterwards, I will edit the post and check consistency. And I'm really happy with such questions as I'm doing the thing I do the best while at the same time helping others. (So not only Ne and Ti are happily at work, but Fe too...) I will start all sorts of crazy projects to keep myself happy.

Now correcting the dishwashing Tamske picture - you WILL be able to discern me from an SJ. The SJ will wash dishes, and when they are ready, he will start something new. I will wash dishes on automatic pilot, while three quarters of my attention is solving problems or devising stories or imagine what ESTJ hubby will say when the dishes are done ... Suddenly, I will jump away from the sink and jot something down.

The only way for me to do routine work is putting a problem into my head first and start doing the routine. The nicest thing is if there is a problem I NEED to solve - like, composing exam questions. It's hard for an ENTP with current MBTI interest to create non-MBTI related ideas. I've done this already a few times with success: first read the handbook or the learning goals and then start doing dishes (cleaning the house, work in the garden, ...)

Because one of my very good friends, who is an ENTP, makes a point of doing everything the opposite way of what you'd expect. (Plus, being an ESTJ, I can't relate to that sort of behavior very well... :cheese: :doh:)

Uh... I'm not making a point of doing things differently. If there is a problem, I just rush ahead before checking if it wasn't already solved.

I can get the ESTJs (and ISTJs) doing their work in the accustomed manner. I wish I would be able to do that too, and get the boring work out of the way and be totally free to work on all those projects. But... when the work is done, they don't start creating things!! :doh: I can't get how they fill in their leisure time - why would you lose your time watching television or playing Railroad Tycoon when you could use it better?
Sigh. You can't get both sides, it seems. Either you can get the work done first like a good SJ and you have a lot of leisure time but no ideas, or you have all sorts of creative ideas like the NPs but no real leisure time because there is always work that still needs to be done.

Edit. I still need to do this: Thanks for the compliment, EJCC!

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
isn't there such a thing as 'acting tired' you could refer to or something' ?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know... like anyone, probably? Everything goes more slowly, you want to go to sleep... I get a bit less talkative, too.

SecantSquared

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
are you all insane, crazy people that act like they've been drinking nothing but highly caffeinated drinks their whole life, or is that just my ENTP?

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
are you all insane, crazy people that act like they've been drinking nothing but highly caffeinated drinks their whole life, or is that just my ENTP?

That's what I'm like when I'm very excited about who I'm with or where I am, so you should take his behavior as a compliment. :)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't know about others but... yes. I never drink anything with caffeine in it. Still, it's Sunday morning here, and I'm up from 6.00u with a head bursting with ideas. I am still tired. I want to sleep. But I lie in bed widely awake with lots of things turning around and around... and then I get up.

Functions of mine? Would you please get NeTamske away from that imaginary coffee?!?

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

When I'm in the zone, I can be like that; but that's usually in a bar, club, or party. I get more hyper then a ESTP on crack. But 90% of the time I chill and kick back.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Why do you spite the colonel with you're journalist crap, making fun of his persona?. This displeases the colonel greatly.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why do you spite the colonel with you're journalist crap, making fun of his persona?. This displeases the colonel greatly.
I don't understand this question. Are we making fun of any colonel? Where? When?
Maybe I should say I'm sorry - but what for? :huh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Just say "I am sorry" gets you out of anything :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just say "I am sorry" gets you out of anything :D
I know. For an easy way out, there is always good Fe at our service.
Nevertheless, if there is a real problem, I want to really solve it! That's why I want to know...

Other questions?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
How do you guys deal with cats?

I tried the toilets, but they're too big!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
An ENTP answer:
Put them in a box and proclaim they are dead and alive at the same time, like Schrödinger!

My real answer:
I don't know. I try to avoid them, as I'm allergic.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Fire it is! :laugh:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's a question to the other ENTPs.

How do you deal with stress?

When I'm stressed (like now, exam time at school), I tend to create even more and even crazier ideas than when I'm not. I become a lot more active. In addition to doing the things I ought to do (like composing and correcting exams now), I will do lots of other things (like creating MBTI comics and pages for my website). I'm unable to sleep, because I've got this drive to realize everything at once.
So, actually, I combat stress by creating more stress. I'm really productive in a stressful period.
When the stressful period is over (the exams corrected, the deadline met,...) I fall in a black hole. I'm frustrated because, now I have time AND all those nice ideas, and I just can't get myself up to realize them because I'm too tired!