• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Are ENTPs very opinionated and close-minded when they are young/immature? I have a friend who seems to hate a lot of things without ever giving them a chance. She told me she hated oatmeal one time. I made some this weekend and she admitted that she had never actually tried it. We got her to take a bite, and before she could even really taste it, she confirmed that she did, in fact, still hate it. She does this with a lot of things, and I don't think she does it to mess with people.

I remember being like this when I was younger. I was very picky about food, clothes, music, movies, etc, but I mostly grew out of it by becoming a more balanced INTJ and am willing to try just about anything nowadays. Is being extremely critical and close-minded to change just an immature NT thing? I guess I thought that the P in ENTP would make my friend more open to new things. What's the deal?

I was always very open to new things. I also like pretty much everything. And when I say everything I really mean everything. Not just food, but I also like most games, sports, types of music, activities, people, fields of interest, skills to learn, objects etc.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I don't think I've ever had a picky bone in my body. My mum's always raved how, as a kid, I'd eat anything, try anything, go anywhere, talk to anyone, etc.

I do remember, though, having a stint where I intensely disliked raisins and sundried tomatoes because I got it in my head one time while eating them that they felt like big, squishy bugs going down my throat and it made me gag. Every time. So I refused to eat them.

I think that was a negative side-effect of an overactive imagination. Historically as well as now, I don't hate things...and certainly not without a reason or without ever trying them.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm very open to try new things, especially food. Always was.
When I was very little, I ate brussels sprouts and chicory to prove I was not a child any more. Grown-ups eat brussels sprouts, I eat brussels sprouts, I will be seen as a grown-up. Never mind taste.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can I have examples of your extroversion? Does it come across more as socializing with people or is it more about putting your ideas "out there"?

Qre:us

Are ENTPs very opinionated and close-minded when they are young/immature? I have a friend who seems to hate a lot of things without ever giving them a chance. She told me she hated oatmeal one time. I made some this weekend and she admitted that she had never actually tried it. We got her to take a bite, and before she could even really taste it, she confirmed that she did, in fact, still hate it. She does this with a lot of things, and I don't think she does it to mess with people.

I remember being like this when I was younger. I was very picky about food, clothes, music, movies, etc, but I mostly grew out of it by becoming a more balanced INTJ and am willing to try just about anything nowadays. Is being extremely critical and close-minded to change just an immature NT thing? I guess I thought that the P in ENTP would make my friend more open to new things. What's the deal?

I'm willing to try anything once, unless I get a physically aversive reaction to it - I'm very sensitive to smell, so, I have issues with fish. Also, I cannot eat a lot of preparations of chicken, especially if it's not fresh, and not white meat, because it smells to me, and the smell stay on the bones :sick:. I also don't like milk because it has a pungent smell to it, and some kinds of cheese.

I am sometimes picky about textures of food too (it might be the same for your friend, with the oatmeal), in that, it literally won't go down my throat, even if I'm trying to force myself to swallow.

When I was little, each meal took approximately 2 hours for me to finish, even when my mom was helping me eat. She says, it took an average of 7 stories [stretched out with many side-bars], per meal.

I do remember, though, having a stint where I intensely disliked raisins

I also dislike raisins because they're dead, shriveled grapes, and look kind of like mice droppings. I do not like celery because it smells like cat piss to me. I do not like fresh corriander leaves because it smells like Indian cat piss to me. I do not like zucchini because it's a wannabe-cucumber. When offered in food to me, I politely tell people I am violently allergic to all of the above (this is not true, but it's easier then entering a dialogue of "but why? Try it, just once..." etc, etc).

Can I have examples of your extroversion? Does it come across more as socializing with people or is it more about putting your ideas "out there"?

Sometimes it is manifested as socializing with people, but, I'm not really a social person. I can be, and I'm pretty good in social situations, at engaging in, and/or directing conversations, but I much rather soak everything in [this is how my extroversion really manifests, with curiosity in everything that's going on around me, the dynamics going on around me, sans my influence]. I just get energized deciphering patterns/cause-effect in the world around me, in any aspect of the world (human or otherwise). One-on-One is where I am more naturally social, while in a group (unless with close friends), in some ways, I feel as if I'm playing a part, and there is definitely a level of mental exhaustion (keeping up the "Fe").

I definitely like to bounce ideas off of people, or muck about with ideas thrown at me, and for that, of course, people are useful. But, I can be just as entertained interacting with an animal, a small child [they're especially fun for the Ne, cuz they can be ridiculously random, which is always :happy2:], as with a grown adult. I had a lengthy conversation with a 5 years old, which was utterly entertaining for me, because she had pretty much mauled her doll's face, and when asked why, she said that she was turning her into a robot. So, we pretty much made up this fantasy world where robot dolls would rule and all the superpowers they would have, and their one weakness was broccoli (she hates broccoli), so I said that if robot dolls live in a robot world, then their vegetables would be robots too, and it would be watered by oil. Robot broccoli. Which, to mere humans tastes like broccoli, but those who have the superpower of the robotic world, it tastes like pizza! She requested broccoli that night (much to her mom's surprise), and her and I had a great conspiratorial grin over dinner, while eating our broccoli-pizza.

In the end, I just need external stimulus that gets my mind whizzing [that external stimulus doesn't necessarily have to be another human being].

I also love just going to a place and just watching something unfolding - like how the birds are interacting with their flock to avoid the cat they see roaming about, the calls they make to each other, the pursuit of the cat, its dissatisfaction in itself when its mission failed [a while storyboard is going off in my head, including inputting funny dialogue for the creatures, be they other humans, animals or objects, when I watch such things].

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people or intentionally creating conflict?

How does it work in real life situations? Can you give some everyday examples of where you've done it - positive and negative? What are you intentions when you do it? Is it for just for fun and to make someone squirm or do you do it to learn something new about that person? Is it always obvious or is it often so gentle and subtle that people don't notice it? Do you think others misunderstand this on the internet and perceive it as trolling even when its not?

I don't mean all this in a negative way. I have a friend that (I think) is an ENTP who hardly ever uses it for 'devious' reasons (and even when she does its usually pretty funny :D ) and it makes me wonder about the other times she may be doing it. Its seems to me its mainly just asking interesting questions that others might not think to ask, in a disarming manner. This doesn't fit with the stereotype (which I don't necessarily believe in) that exists in regards ENTPs on the net. It made me wonder to what degree this whole aspect has been exaggerated or misconstrued - and of course such things play out quite differently IRL.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll answer some this

"How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people or intentionally creating conflict?"

Some ENTPs might not act like this, but I don't test people per se, more like toy with them and test there reaction. Mainly just giving a certian response in a situation or just randomly asking them questions, Observation or just frankly reading there personailtys. Then I like using that against people in latter days. I don't like conflict, but I like winning "debates" So yeah she's likely a ENTP.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any other ENTPs agree with this statement?

"Jf people are boring, bland and aren't relevant to the situation why bother?"

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people?

It's constant and automatic. I am always interpreting other people's reactions to things and the most interactive and telling way of doing so is being the person throwing out statements or questions. It's not a bad thing it's about knowing where they stand and where I stand with them. I do it because I want to understand where they're coming from and therefore the best approach I should take with them, can I joke about with them, are there subjects I shouldn't raise with them, do they understand my sarcasm, are they in a bad place today, can I push to a deeper place, anything/everything. For me it's a combination of calling on Fe as well as understanding how I fit into things.

The time I do it the most is when I'm unsure or insecure about how I'm seen in their eyes and I want to be seen in a positive way, this means romantic relationships are the place where I throw out testing questions/comments and push buttons the most.

How do ENTPs go about ... intentionally creating conflict?

I don't think I've ever intentionally created conflict, mischief all the time, conflict never. I do it for the LOLs and amusement.

A

Anew Leaf

Pee on it while he's in the room.

Gross absurdities invented by entps can only be met with grosser absurdities invented by entps :D

LOL!

The ENTP I dated told me the grossest stories about himself in college. Including how he got mad at one of his roommates so to get back at him he peed into the guy's tobasco sauce bottle. (The guy had been getting emo over people using his food.)

My ENTP never ever told him but said that he always got a huge grin on his face whenever the guy would use the tobasco sauce.

And lots of other stories where he convinced all of their roommates to do stuff to the guy - most of them strangely involving urine....

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Any other ENTPs agree with this statement?

"Jf people are boring, bland and aren't relevant to the situation why bother?"

I may think this way, but I don't act this way. If I find myself thinking this about a person, I'll still be cordial and try to be nice to them. Doesn't mean I'll give a rats ass about them and go out of my way to get to know them more, but I'll give maybe half a rat's ass to not be mean to them and unnecessarily hurt their feelings by completely not bothering at all.

Even boring, irrelevant people deserve to be bothered. :biggrin:

A

A window to the soul

How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people or intentionally creating conflict?

How does it work in real life situations? Can you give some everyday examples of where you've done it - positive and negative? What are you intentions when you do it? Is it for just for fun and to make someone squirm or do you do it to learn something new about that person? Is it always obvious or is it often so gentle and subtle that people don't notice it? Do you think others misunderstand this on the internet and perceive it as trolling even when its not?

The examples I can think of are positive. I sometimes ask people questions that I already know the answers to. That helps me understand where someone is at intellectually and gives me a comfort level (or trust) with their answers to questions that I don't know the answers to. I might ask a question, instead of making a statement to help someone consider the alternatives, but I'm most often pushing for a collaborative effort and generating more ideas.

I've prodded someone until they squirmed, sure. Like my sister's boyfriend. I'd like to think people walk away stronger. It's all in fun and I usually learn something from the process. My ESTP brother-in-law is cool because he handles it well and his retorts are awesome. The most recent thing we joked about is how he hates mushy food. I'm curious, so I asked him: Don't you think most food is mushy? What qualifies as mushy? How mushy is too mushy? Are there mushy exceptions? What if you're starving? Then when he eats and breaks one of his mushy rules, I joke with him about that.

My curiosity helps me understand and often helps me in the future. Like this weekend. All of that questioning helped me decide on what I'm cooking for a family party for Easter. I want everyone to be happy, so I cook a variety of things to facilitate that.

I test the limits, though I'm not looking to create conflict for the sake of it.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Some ENTPs might not act like this, but I don't test people per se, more like toy with them and test there reaction. Mainly just giving a certian response in a situation or just randomly asking them questions, Observation or just frankly reading there personailtys. Then I like using that against people in latter days. I don't like conflict, but I like winning "debates" So yeah she's likely a ENTP.
This is what I thought it must be like: it can sometimes be playful but mainly its just to build a picture of someone. So what sorts of things are you interested in finding out about others? And why do these things pique your interest?

It's constant and automatic. I am always interpreting other people's reactions to things and the most interactive and telling way of doing so is being the person throwing out statements or questions. It's not a bad thing it's about knowing where they stand and where I stand with them. I do it because I want to understand where they're coming from and therefore the best approach I should take with them, can I joke about with them, are there subjects I shouldn't raise with them, do they understand my sarcasm, are they in a bad place today, can I push to a deeper place, anything/everything. For me it's a combination of calling on Fe as well as understanding how I fit into things.

The time I do it the most is when I'm unsure or insecure about how I'm seen in their eyes and I want to be seen in a positive way, this means romantic relationships are the place where I throw out testing questions/comments and push buttons the most.
Interesting. So you see it as a way to test: a) what areas of conversation you need to be on your guard about; b) whether you click with that person and to what degree they get you; c) how much you can be your relaxed self around them? Its weird because when I get asked these probing questions by ENTPs, I answer them and afterwards feel curious about the reason for it because I don't get direct feedback. You can sense the cogs turning in their head and I wonder what sort of picture are they are building of me.

I don't think I've ever intentionally created conflict, mischief all the time, conflict never. I do it for the LOLs and amusement.
Yeah, the mischief is funny. To give an example of my ENTP friend: we were doing a guided tour through a cave which was lit up with artificial lighting that the tour guide turned on in sections as we went along. The tour finished and we were individually making our way out at our own pace. We got about half way out and a kid of about 14 was waiting next to a light box. There were about 10 people further back in the cave out of sight.

ENTP (mischievously): Hey kid. You should switch the lights off.
(the kid looks at her blankly)
ENTP: Come on, it'll be so funny.
(the kid looks at the light switches)
ENTP: It will only be for a few seconds.
(the kid continues to look at the switches and begins to waver)
ENTP: No one will know it was you.
(kid continues to waver)
ENTP: I swear I won't tell anyone.
Kid (timidly): No... I better... go back to my Mum.
(he slinks off)
ENTP (calling back to him): Well, just in case you change your mind, I'll pretend I didn't see you here.
(we walk away)
ENTP (to me): Damn. I really thought he was gonna do it for a second there.

Seriously, she was like the devil on his shoulder whispering evil deeds in his ear :laugh:

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is what I thought it must be like: it can sometimes be playful but mainly its just to build a picture of someone. So what sorts of things are you interested in finding out about others? And why do these things pique your interest?

What ever is useful, what ever isn't useful. Things that should't be said, personailty flaws in the target (Suck up, Narcissism, General A**hole ectra) frankly what ever about them I can learn.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you saying you're full of shhh... oh never mind.

:run:

:p To a degree im just some evil guy who wants to learn how to control people better. *evil laugh*

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
LOL!

The ENTP I dated told me the grossest stories about himself in college. Including how he got mad at one of his roommates so to get back at him he peed into the guy's tobasco sauce bottle. (The guy had been getting emo over people using his food.)

My ENTP never ever told him but said that he always got a huge grin on his face whenever the guy would use the tobasco sauce.

And lots of other stories where he convinced all of their roommates to do stuff to the guy - most of them strangely involving urine....

Ya, to Freud ENTPs would have been a great pleasure :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The examples I can think of are positive. I sometimes ask people questions that I already know the answers to. That helps me understand where someone is at intellectually and gives me a comfort level (or trust) with their answers to questions that I don't know the answers to. I might ask a question, instead of making a statement to help someone consider the alternatives, but I'm most often pushing for a collaborative effort and generating more ideas.

I've prodded someone until they squirmed, sure. Like my sister's boyfriend. I'd like to think people walk away stronger. It's all in fun and I usually learn something from the process. My ESTP brother-in-law is cool because he handles it well and his retorts are awesome. The most recent thing we joked about is how he hates mushy food. I'm curious, so I asked him: Don't you think most food is mushy? What qualifies as mushy? How mushy is too mushy? Are there mushy exceptions? What if you're starving? Then when he eats and breaks one of his mushy rules, I joke with him about that.

My curiosity helps me understand and often helps me in the future. Like this weekend. All of that questioning helped me decide on what I'm cooking for a family party for Easter. I want everyone to be happy, so I cook a variety of things to facilitate that.

I test the limits, though I'm not looking to create conflict for the sake of it.
So for you its an effort to understand others' personalities and interests in a pure form by refraining from clouding their understandings/opinions with your own? It interesting that you are so committed to the 'idea' in itself that you will avoid influencing it by including yourself in the picture.

I do recognise that sort of humour too. I love those on-going in-jokes with ENTPs - its how you know they love you :D

What ever is useful, what ever isn't useful. Things that should't be said, personailty flaws in the target (Suck up, Narcissism, General A**hole ectra) frankly what ever about them I can learn.
It makes me nervous to think I'm being so closely studied. Go easy on me ENTPs :puppy_dog_eyes:

So when do you use all these stored up insights? Do you save it up until that person has a go at you and then unleash your brutal wrath? :devil: