• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you think it's possible for an S person to develop their Ne? Or an N person to further develop their Ne?

Everyone uses all of the functions, just in different orders of preferences, so yes a person could develop their Ne however some would find it easier than others. A SJ for example would theoretically find it easier than a SP.

Qre:us

Let me rephrase my question

Do you think it's possible for an S person to develop their Ne? Or an N person to further develop their Ne?

Most definitely. What I believe you are aiming to achieve is more easier access to what you've already got.

Ya just gotta learn how to flaut what ya got. :D

We all have access of use of all 8 functions - just in different preferences. You just have to harness it.

Hmm, now, how to harness Ne? That's another question, perhaps to ask an ENTP. :shrug:

:D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Ne is a pattern finding function so I'd imagine an S could; they just might get bored with taking the connections past a point which they deem 'unusable'. As they like things to be more concrete. So to the first, yes. If the first is yes then I suppose it's not possible to say that the second is no. I suppose the N would consider it fine-tuning more than they would developing though, as most who use Ne consider themselves to be great at finding patterns already.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne is a pattern finding function so I'd imagine an S could; they just might get bored with taking the connections past a point which they deem 'unusable'. As they like things to be more concrete. So to the first, yes. If the first is yes then I suppose it's not possible to say that the second is no. I suppose the N would consider it fine-tuning more than they would developing though, as most who use Ne consider themselves to be great at finding patterns already.

It's tertiary function for ESxJ and inferior for ISxJs, of course they can have good use of it, they will still be Sensors is all.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
So can their tertiary function ever override their primary function and replace it?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So can their tertiary function ever override their primary function and replace it?

I wouldn't say that, people can develop functions but their dominant function will always be the most comfortable space backed by their auxiliary and so on. As an ENTP when I develop my Si for example I do it in a manner that supports my Ne-Ti-Fe-Si pattern, Si will never be my most comfortable space but it I would be able to access it in a more positive and productive manner if I develop it.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm, now, how to harness Ne? That's another question, perhaps to ask an ENTP. :shrug:
Ne is, by definition, a wild and random function. I can't "harness" it. I don't know if it is even possible.
One of the fastest and surest ways to shut down my Ne is organizing a brainstorming session or anything else specificially designed to create ideas. I've never understood the purpose of those things, except if they were designed to make you lose time. You can brainstorm while working!

I've learnt some tricks along the way. Ne needs triggering. External input. It's an extraverted function indeed. Here are some of my favourite triggers:
- An unexpected question
- Someone explaining or defending something that strikes me as false
- Comments on my work, especially on my creative projects. "You can do this better" gets me grumpy at first, but very soon I'll start generating ideas about how to improve it and I'll be happy as pie and thank you.
- Reading or hearing about a theory or fact I didn't know before. History is climbing along my 'interesting' ladder.
- Manual work, riding the bike or taking the train,... anything which doesn't require that much attention but still takes the "you've got to generate ideas now" pressure from my mind.
- Trying to sleep. That's not really a favourite of mine, because I want to sleep then and not generate ideas.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I hear a lot from ENTPs about needing to find someone who gets you and understands and can handle your randomness/independence/need to have a billion balls in the air. How willing are you to do the same for your partner if they were to display the ability to meet you halfway? Are you willing to accommodate and make time for someone you have feelings for? Or are you looking for someone to be there when you get through with your projects and distractions?

yes to all.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Let me rephrase my question

Yes, you can develop any function.
As an ENTP, I tested as having a pretty high Se/Si, almost equal to my secondary Ti...but I'd say I'm still Ne dom at the moment. It could change whenever.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ne is, by definition, a wild and random function. I can't "harness" it. I don't know if it is even possible.
One of the fastest and surest ways to shut down my Ne is organizing a brainstorming session or anything else specificially designed to create ideas. I've never understood the purpose of those things, except if they were designed to make you lose time. You can brainstorm while working!

I've learnt some tricks along the way. Ne needs triggering. External input. It's an extraverted function indeed. Here are some of my favourite triggers:
- An unexpected question
- Someone explaining or defending something that strikes me as false
- Comments on my work, especially on my creative projects. "You can do this better" gets me grumpy at first, but very soon I'll start generating ideas about how to improve it and I'll be happy as pie and thank you.
- Reading or hearing about a theory or fact I didn't know before. History is climbing along my 'interesting' ladder.
- Manual work, riding the bike or taking the train,... anything which doesn't require that much attention but still takes the "you've got to generate ideas now" pressure from my mind.
- Trying to sleep. That's not really a favourite of mine, because I want to sleep then and not generate ideas.

I love how you put this. I never thought of it as "triggers" but more as inspirations. Mine are very similar to yours, and I've just recently realized I need them to get me going sometimes.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is a verrry long thread so I'm not sure if someone has asked this already but...

My boyfriend is an ENTP, we live together. I've read about ENTPs being great at putting off chores/housework with their ability to make a joke and brush it off, say they'll do it later, and never ever get around to it. This is absolutely true when it comes to him. Now I'm not saying I'm Susie Homemaker over here, procrastination & laziness is my problem too. But I wouldn't feel so reluctant to clean if he did more than take the garbage out every now & then after I've already asked him a couple of times to do it.
I gues I'm venting a little but my question is,
Is there anything someone can do to motivate an ENTP to do some housework or do chores more often?

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This is a verrry long thread so I'm not sure if someone has asked this already but...

My boyfriend is an ENTP, we live together. I've read about ENTPs being great at putting off chores/housework with their ability to make a joke and brush it off, say they'll do it later, and never ever get around to it. This is absolutely true when it comes to him. Now I'm not saying I'm Susie Homemaker over here, procrastination & laziness is my problem too. But I wouldn't feel so reluctant to clean if he did more than take the garbage out every now & then after I've already asked him a couple of times to do it.
Is there anything someone can do to motivate an ENTP to do some housework or do chores more often?

Well I'm not an ENTP, but and ENFP. I struggle with that kind of stuff, and have yet to figure out a a surefire way to deal with it, BUT pressure makes it worse, and makes me more likely to never get to it. I do more when my husband or myself doesn't pressure. I'm not sure if it's the same for ENTPs.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I love how you put this. I never thought of it as "triggers" but more as inspirations.
Lol! T vs F language?

Putting off things that aren't challenges? Yes, indeed. It also sounds a bit like the typical wife's complaint that she has to nag the husband in order to get him to do the chores...

One of the most surefire ways to get me doing chores is starting to do them yourself, or starting to work on something else. If my husband is "working" or at least doing something I find boring (like watching sports), I always feel guilty because I should have done them while he was at his job! And I try to out-chore him and make sure he didn't do most of the chores. Of course, this only works if he sees (some of) the chores as "his" task.

I also try to see them as source of inspiration. See one of the triggers above. Mindless works gets the "need to be creative" pressure of my mind. I've discovered this not so long ago, and I'm still trying to reprogram myself into "starting chores" whenever I'm waiting for inspiration. Inspiration flood and chores get done! If that isn't an ENTP solution :D

Nagging? Don't know. For me the blunt Thinker method works quite well. "I want you to do this before Monday."
Give a deadline. I need a deadline. Not just "Aren't you going to do this?" because that doesn't give a scope of time. "Do this now!" will only result in protest - it isn't needed right now! and "Why do I have to ask such a many times before you do anything?" has the answer "Because you keep on asking. If you only asked once, I would have done it too, even if you didn't ask me seven times in the time between you asked first and now."
An ENTP doesn't want to break his train of thought just to put the garbage out. I think the nagging problem is actually a misunderstanding problem.
If the nagger asks "Do this" he/she means "Do this now" and thinks the other hasn't heard him/her. The other did hear, but doesn't want to think about it right now.

An ENTP actually never wants to think or talk about chores. Doing them, no problem, but why not discuss and think about more interesting things? I'm an expert at discussing physics or philosophy or literature while doing dishes.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol! T vs F language?

Putting off things that aren't challenges? Yes, indeed. It also sounds a bit like the typical wife's complaint that she has to nag the husband in order to get him to do the chores...

One of the most surefire ways to get me doing chores is starting to do them yourself, or starting to work on something else. If my husband is "working" or at least doing something I find boring (like watching sports), I always feel guilty because I should have done them while he was at his job! And I try to out-chore him and make sure he didn't do most of the chores. Of course, this only works if he sees (some of) the chores as "his" task.

I also try to see them as source of inspiration. See one of the triggers above. Mindless works gets the "need to be creative" pressure of my mind. I've discovered this not so long ago, and I'm still trying to reprogram myself into "starting chores" whenever I'm waiting for inspiration. Inspiration flood and chores get done! If that isn't an ENTP solution :D

Nagging? Don't know. For me the blunt Thinker method works quite well. "I want you to do this before Monday."
Give a deadline. I need a deadline. Not just "Aren't you going to do this?" because that doesn't give a scope of time. "Do this now!" will only result in protest - it isn't needed right now! and "Why do I have to ask such a many times before you do anything?" has the answer "Because you keep on asking. If you only asked once, I would have done it too, even if you didn't ask me seven times in the time between you asked first and now."
An ENTP doesn't want to break his train of thought just to put the garbage out. I think the nagging problem is actually a misunderstanding problem.
If the nagger asks "Do this" he/she means "Do this now" and thinks the other hasn't heard him/her. The other did hear, but doesn't want to think about it right now.

An ENTP actually never wants to think or talk about chores. Doing them, no problem, but why not discuss and think about more interesting things? I'm an expert at discussing physics or philosophy or literature while doing dishes.

I think a deadline/schedule type of deal would be a great idea. As long as he was okay with it. Our biggest conflicts stem from him being so perceiving and me being so judging. But he's told me that as long as I dont automatically assume that he has agreed to my "plan" (as long as I ask if he wants to be included in the plan first) that its alright.
Maybe also doing things together would work because then we could talk and it would be more fun. The nicest dinners we've had have been when we were both cooking together so doing the same thing but with cleaning would probably work out.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

This was one thing that drove my INFJ sis crazy when we were living together. I'm slack with housework but even when I made an effort it always felt like it wasn't enough so I figured why try if she was going to get upset anyway. Nagging isn't an effective way to motivate me. Plus I could go for longer than her before I felt the need to clean.

There are several approaches you can take:

1. If it's financially an option hire a cleaner to come in once a week/fortnight, get your ENTP to pay, it's quite probable that he'd be more willing to pay for someone else to do it than do it himself.

2. Give him a Fe guilt-trip. Let him know how his lack of action is affecting you and ask him to make more of an effort. That one can be hit or miss.

3. Make it fun. When it comes time to doing housework do it when you're both home on the weekend, turn the music up way loud, plan to go out to lunch after or something and get him to get stuck into it at the same time as you. The idea is to make cleaning the distraction so he sticks at it, normally everything else is a distraction that is ten times more enticing than cleaning.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
This was one thing that drove my INFJ sis crazy when we were living together. I'm slack with housework but even when I made an effort it always felt like it wasn't enough so I figured why try if she was going to get upset anyway. Nagging isn't an effective way to motivate me. Plus I could go for longer than her before I felt the need to clean.

There are several approaches you can take:

1. If it's financially an option hire a cleaner to come in once a week/fortnight, get your ENTP to pay, it's quite probable that he'd be more willing to pay for someone else to do it than do it himself.

2. Give him a Fe guilt-trip. Let him know how his lack of action is affecting you and ask him to make more of an effort. That one can be hit or miss.

3. Make it fun. When it comes time to doing housework do it when you're both home on the weekend, turn the music up way loud, plan to go out to lunch after or something and get him to get stuck into it at the same time as you. The idea is to make cleaning the distraction so he sticks at it, normally everything else is a distraction that is ten times more enticing than cleaning.

Well we don't have money for that and its a small apartment anyway, and I'm not into giving guit trips it would most likely just backfire anyway.. So I'll try to just make things casual and fun. Hopefully he'll go along with it.

Qre:us

do it when you're both home on the weekend, turn the music up way loud, plan to go out to lunch after or something and get him to get stuck into it at the same time as you. The idea is to make cleaning the distraction so he sticks at it, normally everything else is a distraction that is ten times more enticing than cleaning.

This. :yes:

I abhor, nay, detest doing anything involved with little detail-oriented [often repetitive] daily living skills - like cooking, cleaning, etc.

If you can turn it into a game, with some fun competitions thrown in the mix - trust me, you'll both wanna be cleaning up together. Team-effort! :static:

Sock skating on the wooden floor while brooming [he had foresight to tell me to wear old socks]. Grocery, a race to find X & Y item and make it to the cart before the other. Ah...INTJs.

Motto: Find an angle to make it seem like a stimulating and fun activity versus a chore :)sick:). <- this psychology incidentally also works as well with a 3 years old. :D

S

Sniffles

Well this explains alot.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Our biggest conflicts stem from him being so perceiving and me being so judging.
Same here, but I'm the perceiver. I've read along this forum that the S-N conflicts are the hardest, but I've never seen one, despite me being extremely N (more than P) and he being quite an S. I actually don't see why S vs N would lead to hard conflicts. A bit of misunderstanding, yes, some facepalming and "what are you talking about now? Does that have anything to do with your previous sentence?" and lots of laughing, that's what our S vs N is.