• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Has there ever been a point that you could easily test as an J at all? I would have thought it nearly impossible unless you're a specific kind of ENTP, yet I know a dude who I think is misstyped himself as an ENTJ. I always thought there was a big difference between ENTJs and ENTPs... It may just be an E8 thing... maybe...

I initially tested as INTJ (unless it's a function based test I come out as INTP now), I think this is mostly as I was raised in a strong J house: mother ESFJ, big bro ENTJ and sis INFJ, many of the traits that show themselves in my natural ENTPness were considered negative things that I had to overcome not embrace and work with, when I didn't finish something I started I was "lazy" and when I wanted fun over work I was "immature" and so on, I believed it, that combined with the fact that I often live in a state where my Si has control resulted in testing as INTJ.

I'm an enneagram 7w8 and the ways I can relate to my big bro are numerous but the main and glaring difference that has always been there is his goals, aspirations and passions are all related to some bigger scheme that fits into his life goals and often relate back to some money making venture. All of which he follows through on, if he doesn't suceed he learns something and continues in a slightly different but related area. He's productive at all times. Me on the other hand, most of my passions have absolutely nothing to do with anything practical, I love getting head first into things like geography, history, sociology, music and sports but not in a way that could generate income and without lasting interest, when I lose interest in one goal my next interest generally has no link to my last one.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, you're right, getting things done isn't the criterium for J-ness.
J = methodical, planning,...
I've got some J characteristics, but I won't mistake myself for one. I've also got this impression there is a big difference between ENTJ and ENTP, more than eg. between ENTP and INTP; or ENTP and ENFP. The ESTP-ENTP difference also seems a big one to me.
Maybe it has to do with the functions. The ENTP's NeTi is totally different from the ENTJ's TeNi; while NeTi and TiNe, well, that's just a bit shifting. ENTPs and ENFPs share Ne-dom while ESTPs and ENTPs only share Ti-aux.
But I'm also biased. I can find myself in the ENTP and the INTP descriptions (with slightly more E), and share some characteristics with the ENFP too. ENTJ? No, that's not me. At all.

I wonder if there are any ENTPs who lean towards ENTJ (or vice-versa).

The only one that comes to mind is Cloud on here. I think there's a lot of similarity between ENTP and ESTP really. The biggest difference is that ENTPs can out-drink ESTPs at the university level :alttongue:. I think it's mainly the attitude that's similar, which is often that of an asshole or nice and bright-sparkling positive.

I initially tested as INTJ (unless it's a function based test I come out as INTP now), I think this is mostly as I was raised in a strong J house: mother ESFJ, big bro ENTJ and sis INFJ, many of the traits that show themselves in my natural ENTPness were considered negative things that I had to overcome not embrace and work with, when I didn't finish something I started I was "lazy" and when I wanted fun over work I was "immature" and so on, I believed it, that combined with the fact that I often live in a state where my Si has control resulted in testing as INTJ.

I'm an enneagram 7w8 and the ways I can relate to my big bro are numerous but the main and glaring difference that has always been there is his goals, aspirations and passions are all related to some bigger scheme that fits into his life goals and often relate back to some money making venture. All of which he follows through on, if he doesn't suceed he learns something and continues in a slightly different but related area. He's productive at all times. Me on the other hand, most of my passions have absolutely nothing to do with anything practical, I love getting head first into things like geography, history, sociology, music and sports but not in a way that could generate income and without lasting interest, when I lose interest in one goal my next interest generally has no link to my last one.

I would have thought that the difference you've described is more related to Sensing. You know, jumping from one interest to another seeminly unrelated interest => an intuitive leap? Percievers however do supposedly tend to be more distractable, even INTPs suddenly drop everything and change careers (albeit after like 5 whole years lol).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol nobody outdrinks ESTPs, except sometimes ESFPs. Se dominant, come on!

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't know if the source of that information was decent, but supposedly ENTPs are more likely to drink too much on campus. That might be because ENTPs are over-representated at Uni though. There may need to be a contest in the near future :yes:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would have thought that the difference you've described is more related to Sensing. You know, jumping from one interest to another seeminly unrelated interest => an intuitive leap? Percievers however do supposedly tend to be more distractable, even INTPs suddenly drop everything and change careers (albeit after like 5 whole years lol).

You mean Se? How so?

I have lousy-lousy Se, it's quite embarrassing how lousy it is, Ne however is my constant state of mind, that's what I see driving my constant need for new material to hold my interest and as an E7 I want to be constantly in a state of high excitement about life. What I delve into generally has no real life use or practicality though.

What happens with me is I get excessively interested in something new, indulge in it and attempt to learn every single thing there is to know about it, but get bored with it before I do so cause it's no longer new so I move onto something else that appears shiny and exciting, reverse and repeat. How long I remain interested often depends on how intricate it is. This doesn't mean to suggest that I can't finish anything, just that in my personal-time hobbies I like to keep them new and fresh.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean Se? How so?

I have lousy-lousy Se, it's quite embarrassing how lousy it is, Ne however is my constant state of mind, that's what I see driving my constant need for new material to hold my interest and as an E7 I want to be constantly in a state of high excitement about life. What I delve into generally has no real life use or practicality though.

What happens with me is I get excessively interested in something new, indulge in it and attempt to learn every single thing there is to know about it, but get bored with it before I do so cause it's no longer new so I move onto something else that appears shiny and exciting, reverse and repeat. How long I remain interested often depends on how intricate it is. This doesn't mean to suggest that I can't finish anything, just that in my personal-time hobbies I like to keep them new and fresh.

Sorry if that wasn't clear enough lol, I think your ENTJ bro might be a sensor, given that his descisions and choices are closely linked together. I'm probably terribly wrong here though, seeing as I don't know the dude ;)

I've heard that E7 is also a deeply physical type, they like to please the physical senses as much as their minds. I'm really wondering how well this fits in with the whole Intuitive dominant thing?? :thinking:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sorry if that wasn't clear enough lol, I think your ENTJ bro might be a sensor, given that his descisions and choices are closely linked together. I'm probably terribly wrong here though, seeing as I don't know the dude ;)

Ahh, he's definitely ENTJ, I was focusing on the differences but the similarities we have are numerous, we definitely share the NTness, he's just proficient and has follow through where I don't. We have the same kind of excitable interest in intellectual pursuits that others think we're crazy for, he's pretty abstract and a calculated risk taker. I'm more like my brother than anyone in my family.

To explain him better: as a kid he had built a pigeon cage and raised hundreds of birds, he soon turned it into a business venture realising it was self sustainable by selling the baby birds to pay for the keep of the rest and make a profit.

He then got his first car, did it up, sold it for a profit, got another better one and so on. Then it was property, bought low, sold high.

He had an interest in photography so got proficient then turned it into a business photographing weddings, now many years later he turned it into a EBay hobby importing photography equipment from Asia and selling it at a fair mark-up, which has then lead to another job. It goes on and on, he thinks outside the square and has hundreds of other interests like accounting, law, music and so on that have all taken what I see as hard work in his spare time to become proficient but has then turned around into something that is relevant in one way or another.

I've heard that E7 is also a deeply physical type, they like to please the physical senses as much as their minds. I'm really wondering how well this fits in with the whole Intuitive dominant thing?? :thinking:

I often ignore/forget about my senses =/

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why would we want to?
I'm the one who remembers everything from the first salary party at work. I can be funny and enjoy such parties without being drunk myself (I've got a Ne). Moreover, watching drunk people is fun in its own. Last but not least, the day after the party you are more alert, awake and productive than your boss.

To a N, there are always at least two goals accomplished with the same decision.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why would we want to?
I'm the one who remembers everything from the first salary party at work. I can be funny and enjoy such parties without being drunk myself (I've got a Ne). Moreover, watching drunk people is fun in its own. Last but not least, the day after the party you are more alert, awake and productive than your boss.

To a N, there are always at least two goals accomplished with the same decision.

I'm going to mark my calendar: Today is the first time I've ever heard a Russian E__P extol the virtues of abstaining from alcohol consumption.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh...I guess I made that up. Tamske sounded Russian I guess?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh...I guess I made that up. Tamske sounded Russian I guess?
There is actually a link. Tamske comes from the board game Tamsk, which is created by someone I know and... named "in the style of those Russian cities like Tomsk"

Any more questions?

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
hi ENTPs,

i hear ENTPs come in all shapes and sizes (figuratively), is this true?

clarhck

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
?
i signed up to this sight just to post in here.i have never taken the mbti test but came to the conclusion i must be an entp after reading about the different types.after reading through this thread i am even more sure.

reading this has helped me understand a lot of my own behavoirs.when was young i used to thing i was crazy or lazy or something.i always constantly jump from idea to idea and it has the effect of me not finishing a lot of things.i get super excited about my ideas for a little while and then an even better one always comes along.i always have more than i know what to do with.

i aslo get bored really easily.i get a kick out figuring things about but once i do all the thrill is gone.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi Clarhck,
that sounds quite ENTP-ish indeed. Join the club!

Lightyear

-Once I figure something out, regardless of if I've finished it or not, I instantly lose interest and can't, for the life of me, get excited about it again.

Is that the reason why ENTPs seem to be fascinated by INFJs, because we are hard to figure out and have this whole mysterious thing going on?

Funnily enough as an INFJ I can relate to the above quote, once I have done something I will move on to the next thing, for example I will hardly ever go on holiday to the same place twice unless I have a good reason to (visiting friends and family etc) since I need fresh input. Same goes for people, if I feel like I can figure you out within half an hour I lose interest, I will be kind to you but you won't become anything more than an aquaintance.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
...for example I will hardly ever go on holiday to the same place twice unless I have a good reason to (visiting friends and family etc) since I need fresh input. Same goes for people, if I feel like I can figure you out within half an hour I lose interest, I will be kind to you but you won't become anything more than an aquaintance.
The ENTP level of that is much higher... We don't reserve that for holidays, for starters. My whole life is governed by peak interests, from my "mechanical clock" interest in kindergarten to my current interest in constructive 3D geometry. MBTI was my previous one, and it still lingers on.