• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Ne can't conjure up something out of nothing. That's more Ni really. Ne needs external stimulation, and without that...boredom ensues fast.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you kidding me?

There have been countless threads on ENTP ennui. You should check them out sometime. Believe me, I'm already bored with this conversation and my Ne is more than half-decent, thank you very much.
I'm sorry if I offended you. My question wasn't meant like "you can't be an ENTP if you are bored!" but was meant as a real question... I'm just interested in how ENTP fits with boredom, as I can't relate to that at all.

Just because you generate ideas doesn't mean you don't get bored. :doh:
How many of these ideas do you see to fruition?
About one in a million, probably. :D

Don't you ever get bored by something before you've even started working on it, simply because you've thought about it to death already?
Yes, but then I don't start working on that one. It's one of my methods for filtering out ideas that won't get finished before I start working on them.
There are ideas enough. Work on the good ones, and the good ones are the ones that still interest you after thinking them through. Or the ones that come back and back to haunt you.
I wouldn't be able to write a novel (my current project) if all my time is devoted to that novel. If I get bored by the novel, I start working on something that doesn't require creativity and needs to be done. Really boring SJ work. My mind will reel, I will long for the task to be finished so that I can write... this scene where the Main struggles with her fear of heights while... and I'm interested in my novel again!

How many projects have you left unfinished because you were simply too bored to continue?
I've got lots of unfinished projects, true. But mostly they are unfinished because I get interested in something new. The old project would bore me indeed, but *I* am not bored because I'm working on the new one.
I don't really worry about those unfinished projects. As long as some projects get finished...

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ne can't conjure up something out of nothing. That's more Ni really. Ne needs external stimulation, and without that...boredom ensues fast.
Indeed. Don't mistake yourself for an introvert and get out to get that stimulation :D

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm sorry if I offended you. My question wasn't meant like "you can't be an ENTP if you are bored!" but was meant as a real question... I'm just interested in how ENTP fits with boredom, as I can't relate to that at all.

Oh, I wasn't offended, just taking the piss.

I've got lots of unfinished projects, true. But mostly they are unfinished because I get interested in something new. The old project would bore me indeed, but *I* am not bored because I'm working on the new one.
I don't really worry about those unfinished projects. As long as some projects get finished...

Sometimes there is just not enough to feed the beast... that's when the problems start. The drinking or partying or trolling or reckless relationship patterns or the job-hopping or the incessant traveling - anything to shake things up a bit. I get so bored. I don't know how old you are, but when I was younger I thought I was just so clever and exciting. But now, looking back on all the people I have trampled all over on I realize that I have spent my whole life trying to fill this void... this need for more new now. Nothing exciting or clever about that.

I can't tell you how many degrees I've racked up, how many companies I've started and abandoned, how many countries I've lived in...

I was so worried about embarking on my current relationship because I care for him so much that I didn't want to subject him to my whims and fancies. But thankfully, he's INTP and he gets me. And like the NTs we are, we planned out the worst case scenarios and came up with a billion ways to combat them. But believe me, boredom is a black cloud that hangs over my head. Constantly. I'm actually terrified to have kids because I'm afraid I'll neglect them the minute something better or more interesting comes along.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
^^ Yup. Constancy = death. In a very literal way too: without newness, without growth, we are just waiting our turn to spin off the mortal coil. It's terrifying.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm 29.

I've always been a "good girl": finishing studies, getting a job... My crazy projects seem to be on a lower scale than the ones of you guys... the sort of things you can do in your free time without upsetting your job.
Constancy? After a few years of graduate studies, I suddenly longed for getting settled, have a fixed job and everything!
And now that I have a quite nice job (teaching), of course I long for becoming a professional writer. Even if I know that, when I become a professional writer, I will probably long for something else and my life will not be a dream without problems.
In the meantime, I've got only a part-time job (I'm searching for a full-time), which means I can write in the spare time. Actually, I've got already what I want... because, knowing myself, if I become a professional writer, I would do well to keep some teaching job to get my dose of interaction.

Maybe I'm just lucky... I've got this constant shift from "interaction and idea-generating time where you can't realise them" and "free time where you don't get new ideas but are able to realise the ones that you generated before". The latter is short enough to combat the boredom that - indeed - would ensue if I have to work on them for a long time.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
When you feel at ease with your date and think a life with him/her would actually suit you well? I'm happily married, so it's possible.

I don't know. Ask an ESFJ?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I find that I can sometimes generate new ideas without stimulation, but they are not nearly as fun and exciting as the ones that are inspired by something in my environment. The ideas that I get without stimulation might be "interesting" but that is far as I'd go. These ideas I must be generating with Ni rather than Ne.

Now the thing I haven't figured out yet is why the ideas generated by Ne are more fun and exciting. Do I find them thrilling because I'm ENTP? Or is it because Ne ideas tend to be more fun and exciting and that is what an ENTP is drawn to?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that I can sometimes generate new ideas without stimulation, but they are not nearly as fun and exciting as the ones that are inspired by something in my environment. The ideas that I get without stimulation might be "interesting" but that is far as I'd go. These ideas I must be generating with Ni rather than Ne.

Now the thing I haven't figured out yet is why the ideas generated by Ne are more fun and exciting. Do I find them thrilling because I'm ENTP? Or is it because Ne ideas tend to be more fun and exciting and that is what an ENTP is drawn to?

Hmmm, I generate entirely random ideas that seem to come from nowhere... a pink ego box, a dwarf moving it's mouth like a fish, lightsabers and all sorts of other crazy shit as a means of combating boredom. I've looked into some of these ideas before by drawing a picture full of random thoughts, they have really really distant connections with things I know. But that should be obvious, you can't make something out of nothing, not even Ni can do that. You can try to draw a completely original alien, and fail. You will only be able to take something else and distort it or combine it with something else.

I don't think I do enough about my boredom, I get restless and start thinking out of the box... but I never have enough resources and/or options to make it turn out right. I also know that everytime I start something new, it's never going to be finished, so I consider not doing it. Really... I think I need to look at the means rather than the goal... I think I may be too intuitive. I am soooo gonna fix that.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Preferring Ne ideas to eg. Se experiences is precisely the thing that makes you an ENTP :D

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

I think what we call "Ne ideas" are a representation of NeTi. As such, not only are they unique, they're also accesible by all others, existing in the tangible realm. Everyone likes the unexpected, but familiar, and that's exactly what these connections are

sleepy

Because ENTPs are not the same as INTPs.
Okay, I will try on the E then.

How to connect more with your surroundings, especially people? For me as I sometimes can get jealous of the social butterflies. How to shine in the spotlight. Is the E learned, or is it an inherent quality?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, I will try on the E then.

How to connect more with your surroundings, especially people? For me as I sometimes can get jealous of the social butterflies. How to shine in the spotlight. Is the E learned, or is it an inherent quality?

I'm inclined to believe that everybody has a certain level of predisposition towards a degree of E or I. I believe that the variations in young children who are exposed to the same influences confirms this.

Secondly, it's important to note that simply being a strong E or I doesn't directly influence your ability to connect with others. There are people who are strong E's who are simply really noisy and irritating to be around, and there are I's who are polished, refined and indispensable as the life of the party. You don't need to talk a lot or be unnecessarily loud or flamboyant to socialize effectively. You need confidence, self-esteem, poise and an effective understanding of social dynamics amongst other things.

It may seem that E's are inherently effective at this sort of thing, but mostly it's just because they spend a lot more time and energy trying to be. To use a fitness analogy- If you work out every day, you're highly likely to get fitter, provided you do it effectively and correct any mistakes you might be making along the way. You can still be fit without being a workaholic, provided you work smart and know (if not, learn) what you are doing. Some people are naturally gifted, of course, but everybody can be fit if they put in the effort. It's the same with "connecting".

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
why would someone ask an entp if theyr not the same as intps? :huh:

Nobody asked anybody that. To rephrase the question and answer in a clearer way:

Q: Why ask an ENTP anything that could be asked of an INTP?
A: Because you will get different answers, considering that ENTPs and INTPs are different.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nobody asked anybody that. To rephrase the question and answer in a clearer way:

Q: Why ask an ENTP anything that could be asked of an INTP?
A: Because you will get different answers, considering that ENTPs and INTPs are different.

but intp ansver is the correct one if entp says otherwise. so why ask an entp when you can just ask an intp?