User Tag List

First 44849293949596104144 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    No. I still struggle with this.
    That's sad.

I know a lot of the other ENTPs on this site, and the mature group of us (age-wise), are not likely to find resonance in this. As evidenced by Kasper's similar sentiment. Jenocyde, who is in a serious LTR. Tamske, etc. From the males, da MOUSE, Liquid_Laser, entropie, Visaisahero (youn'in but has been in a LTR for a while), and, substitute, comes to mind.

It likely kicks in when one reaches a sense of peace with themselves, and their sense of identity, rather than Ne always searching outwards, without any internalization, for an identity that will do......for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    But what if there's nothing to work on for a spell? I guess I shouldn't really worry, my kind being so high maintenance.
    I do not like pessimistic, defeatist attitude. THAT would be more of an issue than boredom. So, if my SO were to tell me this:

But what if there's nothing to work on for a spell?
    It would likely piss me off, and make me frustrated.

As...there's ALWAYS something to work on, you just can't sit and wait for it to reveal itself. You must go out and search, rather than become complacent to stagnancy. So, unless you're dead, you're constantly a work in progress, and thus, so are your relationships around you.
    Last edited by Qre:us; 07-14-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: names are droppin' like fliessss

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    That's sad.

I know a lot of the other ENTPs on this site, and the mature group of us (age-wise), are not likely to find resonance in this. As evidenced by Kasper's similar sentiment. Jenocyde, who is in a serious LTR. Tamske, etc.
    I understand. I'm not there yet, which is why it's nice to hear your thoughts. I'm still working on this.

That's sad.

I know a lot of the other ENTPs on this site, and the mature group of us (age-wise), are not likely to find resonance in this. As evidenced by Kasper's similar sentiment. Jenocyde, who is in a serious LTR. Tamske, etc.

It likely kicks in when one reaches a sense of peace with themselves, and their sense of identity, rather than Ne always searching outwards, without any internalization, for an identity that will do......for the moment.
    I think it's a separate issue from identity formation, as any type without a formed identity will likely experience difficulty in maintaining a relationship.

Despite being 40 and married to the same person continuously for 17 years, I often experience challenges with Ne as it relates to relationship issues. Whether Ne is first or second in my cognitive functions is certainly debatable though.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I think it's a separate issue from identity formation, as any type without a formed identity will likely experience difficulty in maintaining a relationship.
    Very true.

Despite being 40 and married to the same person continuously for 17 years, I often experience challenges with Ne as it relates to relationship issues. Whether Ne is first or second in my cognitive functions is certainly debatable though.
    True. But, I would go further to say that this phenomenon is likely to occur in any type, where their Dom-fx is feeling suppressed in expressing itself freely, and being understood, validated, and appreciated. So, an ISFJ with an ENTP would likely experience challenges with Si, as it relates to relationship issues with their ENTP. I.e., an ISFJ can get utterly bored by their ENTP's constant impractical flights of fancy.

Btw, welcome to the dark-side.

Fellow ENTPs, what are the stereotypes about ENTPs that you find does not really resonate with you, and why?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Come on now, let's be real. Many Ne-dom's by their very nature are moving on to bigger and better things as we speak. What do relationships offer us? Routine? Commitment? It's no surprise that ENTP's as a whole have earned that stereotype. Don't you think the junior level ENTP is going to be pretty dang flakey until their Tertiary and Inferior functions become more developed over time? For Ne, isn't the chase the prize? The chase being the challenge, being the interesting part. I'll be long gone before it gets too serious and becomes routine. That's not a game, as I mentioned before, so boredom is starting to make more and more sense to me.
    This is pretty much the standard explanation I've come across concerning this issue with ENTP's. I appreciate the honesty, btw.

I do not like pessimistic, defeatist attitude. THAT would be more of an issue than boredom.
    If that's how you see it, fair enough. That wasn't what I was implying though. I'm referring to the times where you and So are simply in agreement, or debates haven't come up and you're just enjoying one anothers company. I'm constantly working on myself, which affects my relationships, but I don't think it's possible to constantly be working on solving issues/problems with your So. Every word we exchange can't be based on an argument. Or....?

So, if my SO were to tell me this:

But what if there's nothing to work on for a spell?
    It would likely piss me off, and make me frustrated.

As...there's ALWAYS something to work on, you just can't sit and wait for it to reveal itself. You must go out and search, rather than become complacent to stagnancy. So, unless you're dead, you're constantly a work in progress, and thus, so are your relationships around you.
    I tend to take life a little too seriously, so I enjoy when someone pulls me out of that mindset and we just piss around. I thought your kind was good at this Anyway, I'm all for growth (I am an INFJ after all), but I don't think it's realistic to say there is always something to work on. I haven't experienced a relationship so far where there is no breathing period. Still, I appreciate your perspective.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Fellow ENTPs, what are the stereotypes about ENTPs that you find does not really resonate with you, and why?
    The one we're talking about now. I've always been a serial monogamist. It takes a lot for me to commit to a relationship at the get-go, but once I do I put a lot of energy into it.

But it's gotta be someone I'm sure will give energy back in these matters. I dislike stagnation in anything, but it takes a certain amount of energy to make sure it doesn't happen in a long-term relationship.

I'm pretty cautious when it comes to relationships. For flirting/dating/friendships? Not at all.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I know how to make "boring" stuff NOT boring, if I care enough (and if I've committed to a relationship, that means I care enough). Making boring stuff not boring is a fun challenge for me. So, "boring" is not the issue.
    Exactly. I was going to add something like this... then got distracted

Boring is easy to overcome.

Since the most growth in relationships tend to happen earlier on, once this slows down, what then? Do you direct your attention elsewhere?
    Growth never ends, it just moves to deeper levels. What ends is the excitement phase, what comes is way more challenging, it's starting to see the other person with their faults not just the good stuff.

A window to the soul

I do not like pessimistic, defeatist attitude. THAT would be more of an issue than boredom.
    THAT. I have little patience for that.

Extremely extroverted, godless, loveless, nerdy looking jokers that throw people under the bus. That doesn't describe me most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Boring is easy to overcome.
    Yes!!! You're right.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Growth never ends, it just moves to deeper levels. What ends is the excitement phase, what comes is way more challenging, it's starting to see the other person with their faults not just the good stuff.
    Agreed I wasn't trying to imply that it ever did.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)