User Tag List

First 43839192939495103143 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

You're the only ENTP I've come across whose said so. Very encouraging So please don't go changing your type

Do you know your Enneagram?
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am not too good with it, but the tests I did, backed up by skylights opinion on this forum gave me a 7w6
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Figures. Would be interesting to see what 7w8's have to say on the matter...

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    ENTP's often end relationships out of sheer boredom with their partner. How do you combat this tendency? Or don't you experience this problem at all?
    Ending a relationship out of boredom doesn't ring true to me, ending it because of lack of growth would be closer to the truth but is a very different way of seeing things, and naturally that would require an attempt on the ENTPs behalf to move forward and resistance from the other partner. Relationships need constant growth and development.

Figures. Would be interesting to see what 7w8's have to say on the matter...
    I agree with entropie, my history is very different to his though, I have ended all of my relationships because I could see that I was unable to be the person they wanted me to be and therefore the relationship was surface and doomed. I have never callously dumped someone, and I have never felt good about ending things but when I was younger I certainly didn't do things the right way.

A window to the soul

ENTP's often end relationships out of sheer boredom with their partner. How do you combat this tendency? Or don't you experience this problem at all? I hope you don't consider my asking terribly innappropriate or offensive.
    I don't know if it's boredom. I haven't totally figured it out yet. I guess I don't feel much of any emotions as far as the relationship is concerned when it happens, which may be the root cause or the contributing factor. My eyes focus in on the horizon and I can hardly wait to see what's up ahead. So I'll tell you that you're welcome to come with me, but I can see you're so complacent here. No, it's not a game.

Those are my old ways. I think. Is there a bored ENTP support group around here??

ENTP's often end relationships out of sheer boredom with their partner.
    No, ENTPs often do not. It's a gross stereotype.

Or don't you experience this problem at all?
    Not really. Ending relationships were more likely motivated by my feeling constricted, as if in a steel box, while I continued to expand and grow, but the box wasn't malleable with me, thus, it was trapping, suffocating, me.

I know how to make "boring" stuff NOT boring, if I care enough (and if I've committed to a relationship, that means I care enough). Making boring stuff not boring is a fun challenge for me. So, "boring" is not the issue.

It's the lack of growth, lack of challenge, to the point of feeling like I'm being constricted. Like the person is slowly draining me dry. It's, in a way, painful, thus, I escape/avoid. Boring - I meet head-on.

(I am pretty quick to know which personalities/types of people, would not be compatible with my way of being, long-term, so "boring" doesn't really become an issue of a character trait in the other, but an external state of being between us/the moment, thus, easily changeable, if we both are willing)

I hope you don't consider my asking terribly innappropriate or offensive.
    Nah, it gives us an opportunity to break down stereotypes, one at a time.

I'm 7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Come on now, let's be real. Many Ne-dom's by their very nature are moving on to bigger and better things as we speak. What do relationships offer us? Routine? Commitment? It's no surprise that ENTP's as a whole have earned that stereotype. Don't you think the junior level ENTP is going to be pretty dang flakey until their Auxiliary and Inferior functions become more developed over time? For Ne, isn't the chase the prize? I'll be long gone before it gets too serious.
    If we're representing the average ENTP, then, statistically speaking, those less than or equal to, mid-twenties, are much less representative of the proportion of ENTPs out there, than the rest.

As such, what you say above, as you pointed out, is likely a "junior ENTP" phenomenon, until they get more skilled with using their other functions, and not a slave to their NE. So, speaking of the general ENTP, I would wager it is NOT APPLICABLE.

You in your teens or early twenties, I'm guessing? The flippancy will not seem so "cool" anymore.

Edit, to add: and that's not even taking into consideration the confounding effect of those in that age-range having much less of a likelihood of having experience in serious relationships, in the first place.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Come on now, let's be real. Many Ne-dom's by their very nature are moving on to bigger and better things as we speak. What do relationships offer us? Routine? Commitment? It's no surprise that ENTP's as a whole have earned that stereotype. Don't you think the junior level ENTP is going to be pretty dang flakey until their Tertiary and Inferior functions become more developed over time? For Ne, isn't the chase the prize? The chase being the challenge, being the interesting part. I'll be long gone before it gets too serious and becomes routine. That's not a game, as I mentioned before, so boredom is starting to make more and more sense to me.

If we're representing the average ENTP, then, statistically speaking, those less than or equal to, mid-twenties, are much less representative of the proportion of ENTPs out there, than the rest.

As such, what you say above, as you pointed out, is likely a "junior ENTP" phenomenon, until they get more skilled with using their other functions, and not a slave to their NE. So, speaking of the general ENTP, I would wager it is NOT APPLICABLE.

You in your teens or early twenties, I'm guessing? The flippancy will not seem so "cool" anymore.
    No. I still struggle with this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Ending a relationship out of boredom doesn't ring true to me, ending it because of lack of growth would be closer to the truth but is a very different way of seeing things, and naturally that would require an attempt on the ENTPs behalf to move forward and resistance from the other partner. Relationships need constant growth and development.
    Since the most growth in relationships tend to happen earlier on, once this slows down, what then? Do you direct your attention elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    My eyes focus in on the horizon and I can hardly wait to see what's up ahead. So I'll tell you that you're welcome to come with me, but I can see you're so complacent here. No, it's not a game.
    So as long as your So is willing to follow you on all of your adventures, you'll stick it out with them?

Just to clarify, I'm not going by what other types have said. I've gone straight to the source... many ENTP's have stated this is the case. Glad to hear you're not one of them

Not really. Ending relationships were more likely motivated by my feeling constricted, as if in a steel box, while I continued to expand and grow, but the box wasn't malleable with me, thus, it was trapping, suffocating, me.

I know how to make "boring" stuff NOT boring, if I care enough (and if I've committed to a relationship, that means I care enough). Making boring stuff not boring is a fun challenge for me. So, "boring" is not the issue.

It's the lack of growth, lack of challenge, to the point of feeling like I'm being constricted. Like the person is slowly draining me dry. It's, in a way, painful, thus, I escape/avoid. Boring - I meet head-on.
    But what if there's nothing to work on for a spell? I guess I shouldn't really worry, my kind being so high maintenance.

A window to the soul

So as long as your So is willing to follow you on all of your adventures, you'll stick it out with them?
    Yes! Without a doubt.