User Tag List

First 6789101858108 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    Similar to how you put it. How about the opposite of stress? If I'm left with only a few or one simple task I'll find it hard to motivate myself to complete it and I'll procrastinate. But doing so actually makes sense from the standpoint that stress = motivation. So motivation = a lack of time + a lot of work, which is why I'll in many cases wait until the very last minute to do something. Is that lazy or just really unmotivated by easy tasks?
    Isn't this called 'perceiving'?
    Judging = getting easy (and hard) tasks out of the way first and then being lazy.
    Perceiving = procrastinating and creating new tasks/projects until you've got enough stress to actually fulfill them.

I remember being really frustrated when I was with my cousin.
    Me: "What are we going to play?"
    Cousin: "Nothing." (She wanted to rest)
    Me: "But we have only four hours of playing time! We can't just idle that away!! Why don't we bake a cake? Why don't we make a marble labyrinth? ... Why do I always have to nag you for three hours before we can have fun?!"
    I never really understood that last one... I can understand that people have to nag because you don't do your work. Work is boring, so you need the nagging. But play is fun - everybody should say yes from the first time when you are allowed to play, no?
    Playtime = time to be active! Why would you do "nothing" when you actually can do everything you want? And no, "resting" is not something you'd possibly want to do (*). That's something you need to do sometimes - but as little as possible...

(*) Now I know better. There are people who see 'resting' as a valid way to spend playtime. But I'm not one of them.
    Last edited by Tamske; 12-11-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Replace wrong word (niece -> cousin). English...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP

How would you tackle the process of writing a research paper?

MBTI
    ENTP

Assuming you've done the research and have the data...?

I like writing. I write research papers the same way as I write stories.

First write everything you want to say. Don't worry about inconsistency or the order in which you want to present your results. To me, writing generates writing ideas. When I don't have any idea how to formulate something, I just write down what I want to say - in a very bad, ununderstandable English that certainly needs to be corrected. But even if I scratch the whole part, the first try helped me to get it right in the end.

Then I try to make a consistent whole out of it. I think of it like a story: first there is this, this and that knowledge. There is the gap we want to fill. This is our starting question.
    To solve it, we use this data and that method and... These are our results. These are the implications. This needs more research. This is different from previous results. This confirms that theory.

In short, I create the body of the article first. Then I write the introduction. Lastly the abstract.

Another trick: read it out loud. This helps to make your sentences simpler. The content of a research paper is usually very difficult, so why make your language difficult as well? (There are a lot of very difficultly written research papers in my field - as if when something is difficult, you have to use difficult words too!)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

These are really good tips for writing! I'm currently stuck on a paper due in a couple days. I'll constantly hit little roadblocks because I try to write what's perfect in the latest sentence, but just free writing the ideas then synthesizing them is a fantastic idea.

You may have saved my paper. Can I call you research Jesus?
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    A question for ENTPs
    What do you think of ENTJs, INTPs and INTJs?
    INTP's are good pals. We think very similarly, and only our passions seem different. The things that really excite INTP's seem only somewhat interesting to me and vice versa.

INTJ's I think are fascinating. I just love how they're thinking is totally warped, and yet they try to express it in a factual or matter-of-fact manner. They entertain me to no end, which is ironic, because most people probably find me more entertaining than your typical INTJ. I guess I really like how we both can come up with off the wall ideas, and yet personality wise we seem like almost opposites. Also even though they are being totally serious I often laugh at the stuff they say and they seem to like that I'm laughing at them (even if they do look a bit confused). I guess they just like the attention and that I'm not running in horror.

ENTJ's are a mixed bag. The bad ones seriously rub me the wrong way as they can come across as imperious control freaks. On the other hand the good ones are like partners in crime. We have a different approach to the world and yet have very similar interests and a fairly similar ideas about what is important. I think there is a mutual respect of each other's differences there.

Anyway that is my take based on my experiences with the three types.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

Do ENTP's get attached quickly?
    Do they feel it is really hard for people to "understand" them?
    Is it unusual for an ENTP to be artistic above "thinking and rational"?

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

MBTI
    ENTP

^
    Well it's bit weird for me. I do get attached to people relatively fast, but i also detach away pretty fast. (This may explain why I hardly have any friends from the past)

I don't think it's hard. if there's a group of 30 people, always at least 3-4 knows what i'm saying. Half the people know i'm saying something but they don't really get it. And a quarter thinks i'm bullshitting nonsense. But to find someone i can really connect is relatively difficult. For that reason i need to live in big cities. like NYC.

I believe utilizing both feelings and logic. Both has their advantages and disadvantages. Every situation calls for different solutions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by alexx View Post
    I'll focus on anything that engages my curiosity. I'm not sure if you could call that attachment, because I can become unattached just as quickly. There have been many people and subjects that have stood the test of time for me, so I'd say I'm attached to them ... sure.

I don't think I'm hard to understand, but people tell me I am. People either get where I'm coming from or they just don't at all. But the ones who don't often come to an understanding the longer they know me.

I'm an artist, so no. Ne is our primary function just like it's yours, and that's applied to everything. This is an internet forum and I'm in the mode of addressing a specific topic (mbti), so this doesn't paint an accurate picture of what I'm like. At all times, I'm working on creative projects ... the scientist label doesn't apply to me (though I did love science as a kid, particularly physics).
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

You can... but I'd rather like you just call me Tamske
    I'm really glad I can help you!

As for me... no. I'm very chatty around strangers but I don't like to make aquaintances because I just can't remember names. I've had more awkward moments than I can count. ("Hi Tamske! Don't you know me any more? Why, we've met there! You still don't know me? I guess you didn't find me that interesting then." Me, thinking "I know that person... we've discussed about that... it was very interesting... but what's his/her NAME?!?! Crap!!!")
    If I remember your name, you are my friend. Or my enemy. For ever. You can change between these two, though.

No, why? I'm quite open and easy to understand... I think. You should ask other people about that...

I don't know - but I would call myself "creative" and even "artistic" before "rational". To me, the word "rational" has a nuance of planning and coherence (this can be due to a wrong understanding - English third language - just say so if this is the case).
    I guess ENTPs are more 'wild', sometimes hitting on great insights, most of the time combining things that lead to nowhere.
    Yes, ENTPs can be artistic and if they can not, I will renounce my ENTP status before I deny my artistic drive!

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I'm an artist, so no. Ne is our primary function just like it's yours, and that's applied to everything. This is an internet forum and I'm in the mode of addressing a specific topic (mbti), so this doesn't paint an accurate picture of what I'm like. At all times, I'm working on creative projects ... the scientist label doesn't apply to me (though I did love science as a kid, particularly physics).
    I combine science and art :-) Mostly my art stems from 'what-if' questions or represent theories... look at my drawings of the functions . My novel project is based on a system of alternative laws of physics allowing a fifth, 'magical' force.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Here's a question to the other ENTPs.

How do you deal with stress?
    I blow up at a certain friend of mine... who I give permission to ignore me if they would like
    or
    Fume silently...
    or
    take it out on a paperclip or somthing...

Not particularly...

1) In order to "attach" to anything, I have to fall in love with the Idea in my mind first. Which could be quick, or it could take a long time... that sounded like a cop out.

2) I don't know.

3)psh... art IS thinking and rational. Mastery of any art takes an awefull lot of time and commitment and study.
    For example, I like to write music. Which requires a lot of thinking.
    I sing and play the piano... those also take a lot of quick thinking...
    The playing of any instrument, takes a lot of thinking to do well.

These are really good tips for writing! I'm currently stuck on a paper due in a couple days. I'll constantly hit little roadblocks because I try to write what's perfect in the latest sentence, but just free writing the ideas then synthesizing them is a fantastic idea.

Don't ask me, I suck at writing compared to the people I associate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    A question for ENTPs
    What do you think of ENTJs, INTPs and INTJs?
    ENTJ: I love my brother. I also love the one other ENTJ I know.

INTP: from the one I know... I wish she'd be a little more secure about her thoughts... they're brilliant... I also don't understand why she hates being hugged.

INTJ: My best friend is an INTJ...