User Tag List

First 1151596061626371111 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Its weird because when I get asked these probing questions by ENTPs, I answer them and afterwards feel curious about the reason for it because I don't get direct feedback. You can sense the cogs turning in their head and I wonder what sort of picture are they are building of me.
    Ask, it's likely they'll be willing to explain at least part of what the Q&A linked to in their mind. Every answer or lack there of tells us something and re-shifts our perspective, Ne moves the image each time you tell us something new.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jwill View Post
    Are ENTPs very opinionated and close-minded when they are young/immature?
    I can appear to be fussy to someone who doesn't know me. I usually try everything once or twice and am pretty open. But some things, well, I think about them. And I poke that image of it in my head from all angles - sometimes for months. Then once I make up my mind, it normally can't be changed. I've thought way too much about it and I know your arguments already.

You don't need to actually smoke the crack to know it's not for you.

Oatmeal may have simply looked unappealing. So your friend thought about it, may have smelled it and seen it and even imagined what it tasted like. Not interested. As a show of good faith, a bite was taken - and with that, the conclusion was confirmed. And even though the conclusion was already 99% there, there was still a certain amount of open mindedness to allow that one bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people or intentionally creating conflict?
    What the others have said.

Also, sometimes weight is assigned where there is none. I got yelled at for "grilling" someone on their dietary habits. I was told that I was making my friend uncomfortable, as if I was judging her choices and therefore judging her.

I was just trying to plan dinner.

MBTI
    ENTP

This testing or probing of people... I don't do that, at least not consciously. I'd analyse things, I'd ask about motivations or tell about some ideas ("I think you do that because...") but there's never the intention of pushing the other person's buttons. I tend to forget people aren't as curious and analytical about such things as I am.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I've got to remind myself to slow down a bit whenever I get into the interrogator mode. It's usually not out of malice, but I do know how it can seem harsh. Of course, that's what makes trial work fun!

Anew Leaf

I kind of like the "interrogator" quality with ENTPs I meet... at least at first... eventually though it becomes sensory overload for me and I think, OMG can't we just move onto something else for the love of god?

So maybe a question could be, Would a "safety word" work with you guys? Where if I say it, you have to cease and desist asking questions?

I tried it with my ex and it was actually quite amusing to watch him squirm and TRY so hard to behave, but I could see the wheels turning franticaly.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I kind of like the "interrogator" quality with ENTPs I meet... at least at first... eventually though it becomes sensory overload for me and I think, OMG can't we just move onto something else for the love of god?
    Ahhh, the "interrogator" quality.... is this what is meant by the testing/prodding of people? Drat.... I'm just hopelessly addicted to asking questions about everything, and people are no exception. I'm usually really careful not to be too nosy about stuff, but I will slip up on occasion and then I probably end up with the 'annoying' stamp

So maybe a question could be, Would a "safety word" work with you guys? Where if I say it, you have to cease and desist asking questions?
    A simple *poke poke* "you're doing that questioning thing again" is probably sufficient to snap us out of it. But yes, don't expect it to be easy for us to suddenly cease and desist. The squirming, wheels turning, and "butbutbut, there's just this one more thing..." are perfectly natural, and sadly other than letting us carry on I don't know the cure for it yet....

MBTI
    entp

I can recall the last time I gunned down someone with questions,

Me: "so, where did you go to college at?"
    Victim: "I studied in Ind-"
    Me: "India? interesting! what'd you major in?"
    Victim: "uh, Mechanical Engineering."
    Me: "So what part of India exactly did you grow up in?"
    Victim: "Chennai..."
    Me: "What was it like living there???"
    Victim: "Life was good..."
    Me:*he's awfully quick to answer; is he hiding something? He must be!* "What exactly are you trying to hide!?"
    Victim:
    Me::steam:
    Victim:

Most of the time people think I'm intentionally trying to mess with them, yet nothing could be farther from the truth. There are just some things I'm interested in knowing, tis' all.

Oh, it would work! We might forget the safety word sometimes, though.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Ahhh, the "interrogator" quality.... is this what is meant by the testing/prodding of people? Drat.... I'm just hopelessly addicted to asking questions about everything, and people are no exception. I'm usually really careful not to be too nosy about stuff, but I will slip up on occasion and then I probably end up with the 'annoying' stamp

A simple *poke poke* "you're doing that questioning thing again" is probably sufficient to snap us out of it. But yes, don't expect it to be easy for us to suddenly cease and desist. The squirming, wheels turning, and "butbutbut, there's just this one more thing..." are perfectly natural, and sadly other than letting us carry on I don't know the cure for it yet....
    Haha! Well, that insatiable curiosity is VERY attractive about NTPs in general... however, there is a line. It's like you guys (gender neutral) put your blinders on and are oblivious that no one else wants to play this game.

Two of my best friends are married to each other. He's an ENTP and she's an InTJ (thought she was F but just recently had an epiphany, go me!). Anyways, it is hilarious to watch them together when he's in full on ENTP information gathering mode. He will say anything and everything to gather info... and she will usually not be in the mood for this sort of thing. (Something about having 2 small children and a job as a nurse practioner might have a tiny bit to do with it.) One of my favorite exchanges was this one, before they got married:

ENTP: So what do nurses do exactly?
    INTJ: You're kidding right. They heal people.
    ENTP: How do they heal people?
    INTJ: Magic powers.
    ENTP: What kind of nurse are you going to be?
    INTJ: Practioner
    ENTP: What's that?
    INTJ: OK I'm done here, we have an audience....
    ENTP: Well, What kind of nurse is an RN?
    INTJ: *sigh* RN is Registered Nurse.
    ENTP: OK, and you aren't an RN.... hmmm.... What type puts on that little outfit and dances in your lap for $5?

Good times!

ENTP: So what do nurses do exactly?
    INTJ: You're kidding right. They heal people.
    ENTP: How do they heal people?
    INTJ: Magic powers.
    ENTP: What kind of nurse are you going to be?
    INTJ: Practioner
    ENTP: What's that?
    INTJ: OK I'm done here, we have an audience....
    ENTP: Well, What kind of nurse is an RN?
    INTJ: *sigh* RN is Registered Nurse.
    ENTP: OK, and you aren't an RN.... hmmm.... What type puts on that little outfit and dances in your lap for $5?
    This seems eerily familiar.

You should hear me whenever I go to the doctor.

- What's that? What exactly does this do?
    - [while getting an ultrasound on my hands]: why do you have a box of condoms in your office? If they're here to get an ultrasound of their baby, why do you need to be handing out condoms? Why is this a scent-sensitive area? [pointing to the ultrasound screen] Does that image mean anything to you?
    - [while getting an MRI]: how much energy does it take to operate that big magnet? Have you every gotten an MRI? Is that, like, standard procedure for any doctor operating an MRI machine? Why do they call it MRI "dye" when it's not at all coloured? How does it change the image? What is it made of?
    - [while getting blood taken]: what's the gel in the bottom of that tube do? Have you ever not taken that rubber band thing off in time and had blood spurt out of the person's veins all over the place? Is it more difficult to find veins in people with darker skin?

And on and on and on. And that's just when I go to the doctor...

MBTI
    ENTP

^ Heh. I was asking the nurse what frequency the ultrasound used, if the jelly was needed to conduct the waves etc... I was preparing lessons about waves right then!
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women