User Tag List

First 1050585960616270110 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Pee on it while he's in the room.

Gross absurdities invented by entps can only be met with grosser absurdities invented by entps
    LOL!

The ENTP I dated told me the grossest stories about himself in college. Including how he got mad at one of his roommates so to get back at him he peed into the guy's tobasco sauce bottle. (The guy had been getting emo over people using his food.)

My ENTP never ever told him but said that he always got a huge grin on his face whenever the guy would use the tobasco sauce.

And lots of other stories where he convinced all of their roommates to do stuff to the guy - most of them strangely involving urine....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    Any other ENTPs agree with this statement?

"Jf people are boring, bland and aren't relevant to the situation why bother?"
    I may think this way, but I don't act this way. If I find myself thinking this about a person, I'll still be cordial and try to be nice to them. Doesn't mean I'll give a rats ass about them and go out of my way to get to know them more, but I'll give maybe half a rat's ass to not be mean to them and unnecessarily hurt their feelings by completely not bothering at all.

Even boring, irrelevant people deserve to be bothered.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people or intentionally creating conflict?

How does it work in real life situations? Can you give some everyday examples of where you've done it - positive and negative? What are you intentions when you do it? Is it for just for fun and to make someone squirm or do you do it to learn something new about that person? Is it always obvious or is it often so gentle and subtle that people don't notice it? Do you think others misunderstand this on the internet and perceive it as trolling even when its not?
    The examples I can think of are positive. I sometimes ask people questions that I already know the answers to. That helps me understand where someone is at intellectually and gives me a comfort level (or trust) with their answers to questions that I don't know the answers to. I might ask a question, instead of making a statement to help someone consider the alternatives, but I'm most often pushing for a collaborative effort and generating more ideas.

I've prodded someone until they squirmed, sure. Like my sister's boyfriend. I'd like to think people walk away stronger. It's all in fun and I usually learn something from the process. My ESTP brother-in-law is cool because he handles it well and his retorts are awesome. The most recent thing we joked about is how he hates mushy food. I'm curious, so I asked him: Don't you think most food is mushy? What qualifies as mushy? How mushy is too mushy? Are there mushy exceptions? What if you're starving? Then when he eats and breaks one of his mushy rules, I joke with him about that.

My curiosity helps me understand and often helps me in the future. Like this weekend. All of that questioning helped me decide on what I'm cooking for a family party for Easter. I want everyone to be happy, so I cook a variety of things to facilitate that.

How do ENTPs go about that whole characteristic behaviour of prodding and testing of people or intentionally creating conflict?
    I test the limits, though I'm not looking to create conflict for the sake of it.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Some ENTPs might not act like this, but I don't test people per se, more like toy with them and test there reaction. Mainly just giving a certian response in a situation or just randomly asking them questions, Observation or just frankly reading there personailtys. Then I like using that against people in latter days. I don't like conflict, but I like winning "debates" So yeah she's likely a ENTP.
    This is what I thought it must be like: it can sometimes be playful but mainly its just to build a picture of someone. So what sorts of things are you interested in finding out about others? And why do these things pique your interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    It's constant and automatic. I am always interpreting other people's reactions to things and the most interactive and telling way of doing so is being the person throwing out statements or questions. It's not a bad thing it's about knowing where they stand and where I stand with them. I do it because I want to understand where they're coming from and therefore the best approach I should take with them, can I joke about with them, are there subjects I shouldn't raise with them, do they understand my sarcasm, are they in a bad place today, can I push to a deeper place, anything/everything. For me it's a combination of calling on Fe as well as understanding how I fit into things.

The time I do it the most is when I'm unsure or insecure about how I'm seen in their eyes and I want to be seen in a positive way, this means romantic relationships are the place where I throw out testing questions/comments and push buttons the most.
    Interesting. So you see it as a way to test: a) what areas of conversation you need to be on your guard about; b) whether you click with that person and to what degree they get you; c) how much you can be your relaxed self around them? Its weird because when I get asked these probing questions by ENTPs, I answer them and afterwards feel curious about the reason for it because I don't get direct feedback. You can sense the cogs turning in their head and I wonder what sort of picture are they are building of me.

I don't think I've ever intentionally created conflict, mischief all the time, conflict never. I do it for the LOLs and amusement.
    Yeah, the mischief is funny. To give an example of my ENTP friend: we were doing a guided tour through a cave which was lit up with artificial lighting that the tour guide turned on in sections as we went along. The tour finished and we were individually making our way out at our own pace. We got about half way out and a kid of about 14 was waiting next to a light box. There were about 10 people further back in the cave out of sight.

ENTP (mischievously): Hey kid. You should switch the lights off.
    (the kid looks at her blankly)
    ENTP: Come on, it'll be so funny.
    (the kid looks at the light switches)
    ENTP: It will only be for a few seconds.
    (the kid continues to look at the switches and begins to waver)
    ENTP: No one will know it was you.
    (kid continues to waver)
    ENTP: I swear I won't tell anyone.
    Kid (timidly): No... I better... go back to my Mum.
    (he slinks off)
    ENTP (calling back to him): Well, just in case you change your mind, I'll pretend I didn't see you here.
    (we walk away)
    ENTP (to me): Damn. I really thought he was gonna do it for a second there.

Seriously, she was like the devil on his shoulder whispering evil deeds in his ear
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

A window to the soul

Any other ENTPs agree with this statement?

"Jf people are boring, bland and aren't relevant to the situation why bother?"
    I agree.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

This is what I thought it must be like: it can sometimes be playful but mainly its just to build a picture of someone. So what sorts of things are you interested in finding out about others? And why do these things pique your interest?
    What ever is useful, what ever isn't useful. Things that should't be said, personailty flaws in the target (Suck up, Narcissism, General A**hole ectra) frankly what ever about them I can learn.

A window to the soul

What ever is useful, what ever isn't useful.
    Are you saying you're full of shhh... oh never mind.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Are you saying you're full of shhh... oh never mind.

:P To a degree im just some evil guy who wants to learn how to control people better. *evil laugh*

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    LOL!

The ENTP I dated told me the grossest stories about himself in college. Including how he got mad at one of his roommates so to get back at him he peed into the guy's tobasco sauce bottle. (The guy had been getting emo over people using his food.)

My ENTP never ever told him but said that he always got a huge grin on his face whenever the guy would use the tobasco sauce.

And lots of other stories where he convinced all of their roommates to do stuff to the guy - most of them strangely involving urine....
    Ya, to Freud ENTPs would have been a great pleasure
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    The examples I can think of are positive. I sometimes ask people questions that I already know the answers to. That helps me understand where someone is at intellectually and gives me a comfort level (or trust) with their answers to questions that I don't know the answers to. I might ask a question, instead of making a statement to help someone consider the alternatives, but I'm most often pushing for a collaborative effort and generating more ideas.

I've prodded someone until they squirmed, sure. Like my sister's boyfriend. I'd like to think people walk away stronger. It's all in fun and I usually learn something from the process. My ESTP brother-in-law is cool because he handles it well and his retorts are awesome. The most recent thing we joked about is how he hates mushy food. I'm curious, so I asked him: Don't you think most food is mushy? What qualifies as mushy? How mushy is too mushy? Are there mushy exceptions? What if you're starving? Then when he eats and breaks one of his mushy rules, I joke with him about that.

My curiosity helps me understand and often helps me in the future. Like this weekend. All of that questioning helped me decide on what I'm cooking for a family party for Easter. I want everyone to be happy, so I cook a variety of things to facilitate that.

I test the limits, though I'm not looking to create conflict for the sake of it.
    So for you its an effort to understand others' personalities and interests in a pure form by refraining from clouding their understandings/opinions with your own? It interesting that you are so committed to the 'idea' in itself that you will avoid influencing it by including yourself in the picture.

I do recognise that sort of humour too. I love those on-going in-jokes with ENTPs - its how you know they love you

What ever is useful, what ever isn't useful. Things that should't be said, personailty flaws in the target (Suck up, Narcissism, General A**hole ectra) frankly what ever about them I can learn.
    It makes me nervous to think I'm being so closely studied. Go easy on me ENTPs

So when do you use all these stored up insights? Do you save it up until that person has a go at you and then unleash your brutal wrath?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte