• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
129030836679369783.jpg

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is there anyway to help an ENTP out of drug/alcohol abuse?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Depends on the stadium. If he is not aware of his condition yet, you could try provoking his ego and mirror him what a drunkard he has become. If that doesnt work and he is further, it'd consider professional help

A

A window to the soul

Well, the goal should be to trigger his natural desire for self-improvement without making him feel controlled or coddle.

Straight-up tell him in a calm tone, for example, "It hurts me to see you like <this>, I can’t be around you right now. I want to be around people that aren’t under the influence of <x, y, z> substances; I enjoy people in their ‘natural’ state of mind, so I'm going out of town with my girlfriends for the weekend."

That speaks of your unhappiness, the impending doom of the relationship, and failure. It should get him thinking about his behavior in terms of the big picture without feeling controlled, attacked, or completely rejected. The last thing an ENTP wants is to fail!

If he’s in too deep, then like entropie said, he’ll probably need professional help; in which case, you might have to throw him in a straight jacket and carry him kicking & screaming into rehab.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I am sorry for your friend/relative.

This is entirely my subjective take on what this means for an ENTP and I might be terribly wrong. Take with a grain of salt.
Is there really One answer?

Unfortunately how other people perceive us and what is right and wrong might not be enough of a motivator to yank an ENTP out of a bad place. Even though we have Fe it is in no way as important to us as to you.

Falling apart and reinventing oneself is a normal process of mental and spiritual growth. It protects us from stagnation and helps our inner world to find peace with our changed situation. As we lack conscious Fi we might not take our inner peace into consideration when making decisions.

I believe that even though this is a normal process an ENTP more than other types need a vision for the future to follow - something to explore with a lot of promises and challenges, but little stagnation and "same old". A promise for an open future to explore.

The internal morals (F) is not that much taken care of and at some point needs to come apart and rearange to fit the new place/person one has come to (be).

Right?

Trying to save an ENTP is trying to preserve their old dysfunctional self that might be a teenager in a grown-ups body.

Have faith in the natural flow of things. From a derelict of a human either a new more beautiful person will emerge, or they'll die (perhaps only on the inside).

It's definitely a great thing to have a Fe dom in such moments. As support. Not a handler :)

A

A window to the soul

Is there really One answer?
Nobody said there was one answer.

Unfortunately how other people perceive us and what is right and wrong might not be enough of a motivator to yank an ENTP out of a bad place. Even though we have Fe it is in no way as important to us as to you.
What is your novel solution? Many solutions could fit into the 'right' solution category, if they work.

Falling apart and reinventing oneself is a normal process of mental and spiritual growth. It protects us from stagnation and helps our inner world to find peace with our changed situation. As we lack conscious Fi we might not take our inner peace into consideration when making decisions.
Correct, but the ENTP under discussion has a substance abuse problem, which is not a normal process of falling apart and reinventing oneself for the purposes of mental and spiritual growth.

I believe that even though this is a normal process an ENTP more than other types need a vision for the future to follow - something to explore with a lot of promises and challenges, but little stagnation and "same old". A promise for an open future to explore.

The internal morals (F) is not that much taken care of and at some point needs to come apart and rearange to fit the new place/person one has come to (be).

Right?

lolz, wrong! The ENTP will not want to submit his will to drugs, if it means catastrophic fail in his relationships, job, etc. That's Ne-Ti big picture thinking. If he should become extremely stressed and go there, then...

What's the quickest way to rearange an addict's world?
Novel answer: take away the things he loves.

Have faith in the natural flow of things. From a derelict of a human either a new more beautiful person will emerge, or they'll die (perhaps only on the inside).

Have faith in the natural flow?? That's your novel solution? Come on!! I am disappointed in you ENTP. That is not a novel solution to this problem. The ENTP under discussion is no longer functioning under the influence of Ne-Ti.

It's definitely a great thing to have a Fe dom in such moments. As support. Not a handler :)

Rule 1: Do not coddle someone with an addiction lest you become the co-dependant.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am disappointed in you ENTP.

My life has no meaning now.

I used to dream of the moment I could make you proud, now I have to live with the shame of disappointing you. I refuse. I'll kill myself. Forgive me :cry:

Or turn to booze and drugs.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what were you guys like as kids? do/did you have poor impulse control? do you have a quick firey temper? what do other people/ or your parents do to make you crazy? what did you wanna be when you grew up? did you do better with structure? clear guidelines? do you need to know the why behind the rules for them to be of any value?

R

Riva

what were you guys like as kids?
Lost in head.

do/did you have poor impulse control?
Yes

do you have a quick firey temper?
Yessssssssss
Not anymore :).

what do other people/ or your parents do to make you crazy?
Ask too many questions. That still pisses me off.
And giving direct orders as if I was in the army, without considering that I'm not a robot. (My ESTJ father still does this.)

what did you wanna be when you grew up?
Not a soldier.
A detective like Sherlock Holmes :).

did you do better with structure? clear guidelines?
No.
Still don't.
But I play my cards right (creativity, excuses, etc), and manage to just do fine.

do you need to know the why behind the rules for them to be of any value?
Structure/familiarity is safety is it not?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=8543]Nerd Girl[/MENTION], [MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION], [MENTION=13880]Istbkleta[/MENTION], thanks for your responses, I appreciate you guys and gals! We actually had a talk today about it today, he himself brought it up :). He wants to tone it down big time so that is great news!!! I supported him and put in my two cents as well. The thing that sucks is that he has said this 3 times before, and ends up in the same old cycle a month or 2 later... I guess we will see what happens this time around, crossing my fingers :)!

R

Riva

Tell him you love him. Make sure he knows that you really really love him. As ENTPs it's hard not to love people who loves you though ENTPs don't show this much. And if a person an ENTP loves tells that their actions are hurting you, ENTPs would change their ways. Might not readily admit they were wrong, but do realize.

This would surely work on me and I would surely try to change.

Good luck :).

You should also suggest rehab.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
We actually had a talk today about it today, he himself brought it up :). He wants to tone it down big time so that is great news!!! I supported him and put in my two cents as well. The thing that sucks is that he has said this 3 times before, and ends up in the same old cycle a month or 2 later... I guess we will see what happens this time around, crossing my fingers :)!

Aw, sorry to hear that, Sparrow. :hug:

Can you think of what the temptation trigger was that sucked him back into it the last few times? Is there a way for him to remove himself from that temptation?

(Think of it like getting all the chips, cookies, and ice cream out of the house when you decide you want to lose weight and keep it off. If someone else in the house is a junk food junkie and keeps tons of that stuff around and eats it in front of him, that is going to make it very difficult.)

If it's his friends and they always party like that, that is going to make it really difficult to break free for good. He needs to think long and hard about how to avoid those tempting scenarios in the future.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey ENTPs, What's more awesome? Sauce or AWESOMESAUCE?

A

A window to the soul

Tell him you love him. Make sure he knows that you really really love him. As ENTPs it's hard not to love people who loves you though ENTPs don't show this much. And if a person an ENTP loves tells that their actions are hurting you, ENTPs would change their ways. Might not readily admit they were wrong, but do realize.

This would surely work on me and I would surely try to change.

Echoes that. I :heart: you and your post, Riva. Does this mean you heart me too? :D [LOL]

:hug:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
.........:hug:.........:hug:
.....:hug::hug:...:hug::hug:
...:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: