• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
What is your INFP Mom like? I think my Mom is INFJ, but then there are times I think she's INFP or INTJ. I see a lot of what looks like Fi. Some Fi attitudes translate as selfishness to me. Like quietly walking out of the room disturbed when she doesn't like where a conversation is going. Selfishness is not a quality I see in my Dad. My Mom is very sweet and thoughtful too; there's just something there I can't quite put my finger on, but I wish I could. I want to understand what cognitive function the behavior is associated with.

Sometimes, she sees the simplest things that my Dad and I totally miss. I can't even describe it, it's so impressive when she does it and hilarious! Hilarious because she's so quiet and just when it looks like she's not listening, out of nowhere, she'll interrupt the discussion I'm having with my Dad and say something that can only be described as *brilliant*.

Yeah, sometimes Fi looks selfish to me, too. My mom is sweet, but she can be very impatient, and has been spoiled by my sweet dad. He does so many overly considerate things for her without her asking him to, that she expects it and gets annoyed when he doesn't do them. I think she is unfair to him sometimes, and I wish he would stand up for himself.

I sometimes have boundary problems as well, and I think I got it from him. My hub thinks my whole family is too nice, and that I am also, because of it. He's good at helping me figure out how to respond appropriately to situations that confuse me when I need to set boundaries and stand up for myself.

Anyway, she is also very creative, and used to help me come up with ideas for what to write about in school. She always wanted to be a writer, but stayed home to look after us kids instead. She did publish a few stories in magazines, though, but she didn't make a living of it. I think she has talent, but her writing was a bit too simple. She probably could have made it if she'd gone to school beyond high school.

She's also very talented in flower arranging and other kinds of crafts. She did the flowers for our wedding, and she did a gorgeous job. She trained herself how to do it. She loves all kinds of arts and crafts.

She's also very affectionate, and I used to confide in her about personal stuff, while I would confide in my dad about career-related stuff.

She loves that we all get along, and always comments on how lucky we are to have such a great dad. I think that we could probably do more to show her some appreciation, too.

Aw, now I'm missing them. :(

So what did you mean about your mom's brilliant observations of simple things about you and your dad?

PS - I have a theory that being a housewife can make you selfish in some ways, even though having kids forces people to be selfless, especially moms. Moms who are housewives are sometimes a strange combination of selfish and selfless.

There are certain important lessons in life about interacting with people that people who never work with others never learn for themselves. This can be true of housewives for that reason. (My mom has been working since we were teenagers, though, so I'm not referring to her.)

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I'm beginning to think we've got more active female ENTPs on here than male ones.

We should take inventory.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
[MENTION=6202]saslou[/MENTION] :laugh: wow, that sounds like me.

Let's see, if you want to be loving, I would find a way for you to make it so that it is in his overall best interests to listen to you. That is the first thing that comes to mind.

Or do you want a punishing route?

Thanks guys for your suggestions/thought. Punishment is the wrong word i think. I would like for him to look at his actions and realise the consequences could be dire. I don't think he does very well with foresight and empathy/compassion, or maybe he doesn't respect me. I really do hope this is just a phase.

I've just brought him the Satanic Bible book.. Hopefully that will get him thinking about the big picture or distract him from causing a nuisance.

He isn't all bad .. Just his behaviour sometimes is ........

Bloody raging hormones. And i thought girls were bad, hehe.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
1 female here

Liar+Liar+pants.jpg

A

A window to the soul

...So what did you mean about your mom's brilliant observations of simple things about you and your dad?
Interesting post.

A great example is when I was talking to my Dad about how incredible it was for terrorists to fly large jet planes into buildings without any experience in the particular plane.

My Mom interrupts and says,
"It's not like they had to take off on a runway. They hijacked the plane in the air."
Me: Excellent point! But what about a plane much larger than the plane you were trained in; wouldn't it be hard to hit your target? Those guys had to travel hundreds of miles at a high altitude. A higher altitude than they've probably ever flown before, in a plane they've never flown before. I understand they learned the cockpit from a flight manual. It's amazing they pulled it off.
Mom: I've been in a cockpit. It's not hard.
Me: Wow, I never knew. You flew a plane?
Mom: Almost. I was sitting in the pilots lap.
Me & Dad: -speechless, laughs-
Mom: I was 5-years old.
Me & Dad: -laughs, compliments-
-end of debate-

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENTPs, do you think ReflecTcelfeR is an ENTP?

The collective hive of ENTPs generally allows people to pick whatever type they like, live and let live is a way of life. Just don't pick ENTP if you're clearly not! He can be ENFJ if he wants, everyone knows the ENTP camp has better parties though.

There was never anything that stood out to say he was mistyped before, imo. That's the best I can do.

rav3n

The collective hive of ENTPs generally allows people to pick whatever type they like, live and let live is a way of life. Just don't pick ENTP if you're clearly not! He can be ENFJ if he wants, everyone knows the ENTP camp has better parties though.

There was never anything that stood out to say he was mistyped before, imo. That's the best I can do.
A good way to describe ENTPs, like bees buzzing around with no clear pattern to their flight.

p.s. My son's tested as an ENTP. Thought this might amuse you!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
A good way to describe ENTPs, like bees buzzing around with no clear pattern to their flight.

'live and let live' sounds like a clear pattern to me

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

My dad's an ENTJ. It's a...fun...parent-child dynamic. :D

rav3n

'live and let live' sounds like a clear pattern to me
As a consideration, ever notice how Fe manifests when bracketed by Ti and particularly, inferior Si? It appears to manifest more in male ENTPs, than female.

My dad's an ENTJ. It's a...fun...parent-child dynamic. :D
We have a lot of fun! He's awesome, in that he's got an excellent handle on his Fe. We have a mutually respectful agreement, in that he's got wider/greater boundaries/freedoms than any of his friends since he's a very responsible and mature teenager so he's capable of making serious decisions and good choices. But...he knows when he finally hits those boundaries, not to push them, at least very hard. ;)

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
As a consideration, ever notice how Fe manifests when bracketed by Ti and particularly, inferior Si? It appears to manifest more in male ENTPs, than female.

I'd be interested to hear some insights and observations about that.

(As a fish in water, it's difficult to know what we look like from the air above it. ;) )

rav3n

I'd be interested to hear some insights and observations about that.

(As a fish in water, it's difficult to know what we look like from the air above it. ;) )
Fe can manifest as controlling when it comes to what's considered "appropriate" behaviour in others. For some, it's about being politically correct, for others, it's harmonising the environment at any cost.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Fe can manifest as controlling when it comes to what's considered "appropriate" behaviour in others. For some, it's about being politically correct, for others, it's harmonising the environment at any cost.

So like telling people to be nice/ arguing for political correctness? Trying to get people to be nice to each other? Not standing up for oneself?

I don't see many ENTPs do this, so maybe I don't understand your description. What do you mean?

Edit: Or maybe you're referring to our desire to not judge or punish people, the desire to live and let live and allow others a lot of freedom, in situations where you think it is necessary to put up more limitations than that?

rav3n

So like telling people to be nice/ arguing for political correctness? Trying to get people to be nice to each other? Not standing up for oneself?

I don't see many ENTPs do this, so maybe I don't understand your description. What do you mean?

Edit: Or maybe you're referring to our desire to not judge or punish people, the desire to live and let live and allow others a lot of freedom, in situations where you think it is necessary to put up more limitations than that?
Bear in mind that I haven't seen this as prevalent with female ENTPs, moreso with male ENTPs. If there are behaviours that an ENTP feels discordant with, they will manifest controlling behaviours to shut down what they perceive as unacceptable behaviours in others. Fe combined with the inferior Si function (which isn't well controlled), can manifest as controlling behaviour when it views behaviours that are deemed socially unacceptable.

A

A window to the soul

ENTPs, do you think ReflecTcelfeR is an ENTP?

He's probably ENTP. I'd like to rule out NF because he’s not easily offended. His indecisiveness seems clever, as it’s making him a pretty popular guy.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Bear in mind that I haven't seen this as prevalent with female ENTPs, moreso with male ENTPs. If there are behaviours that an ENTP feels discordant with, they will manifest controlling behaviours to shut down what they perceive as unacceptable behaviours in others. Fe combined with the inferior Si function (which isn't well controlled), can manifest as controlling behaviour when it views behaviours that are deemed socially unacceptable.

I can attest to this to a certain extent. Sometimes if I see someone who just doesn't even try to have a modicum of social grace there's a part of me that cringes and just wants to remove the problem by controlling it. For instance, my boss is quite unabashedly racist towards black people, which is bad for business, if not just a really weird thing to be in this day and age. So if someone black walks into the store and she tries to ignore they exist, I try to push her to interact with them as much as possible. It's weird, instead of just living and let living (letting her have her prejudices) as I normally do with people, I feel this almost uncontrollable urge to manipulate the situation because seriously, how would she feel if someone treated her that way?

Anyway, I wonder of that example is along the lines of what you were getting at there.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

That's right. Tho I have reached an age where I dont want to shut down that in others no more. At my age you basically assume every person you meet is an idiot and socially unacceptable and that person has to prove to you that he / she is not. Since the day on which I decided to control life on my own and dont let others control my life to please everybody, I feel much much happier :).

Permabanned
tumblr_llnwkuFsMj1qkogtqo1_400.jpg