MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Question!

What do you ENTP's think about ISFJ's?
    I haven't head much about this pairing.. but IRL.. I know 3 OLDER male ENTP's (all over 45) that have been married to ISFJ's since their late twenties/early thirties. The pairing seems to work out really well! Ofcourse they are extremely different.. but they are all very happy and claim they couldn't be with anyone else. What do you think abotu that?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Question!

I haven't head much about this pairing.. but IRL.. I know 3 OLDER male ENTP's (all over 45) that have been married to ISFJ's since their late twenties/early thirties. The pairing seems to work out really well! Ofcourse they are extremely different.. but they are all very happy and claim they couldn't be with anyone else. What do you think abotu that?
    I find ISFJs to be a little too traditional and rigid for my taste but to each his own.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    OK, since you asked: (I'm sure this has been asked before, but there are 50 pages to look through)
    Actually it hasn't been asked before
    Could I be an ENTP? Given a balance on I/E, what are some clues to look for?Being a weird sort of INTP, my type has been under question a lot. But I think that if I switch it to something that's a little less common on the forum, there won't be as much as that. Functionwise though, the only other type that makes sense is ENTP. I'm rather ambiverted on some measures of I/E, and Ti and Ne show up pretty close to equal. And it's not as much about turning me to the extravert side, it's about seeing if I was really in an introvert disguise all along and I am part of your club
    That's of course possible... Well, I'm quite I/E balanced, too, and tests place me in the INTP category almost as often as in the ENTP...
    Most ENTPs aren't good at traditional socializing (smalltalk, being together for the sake of being together, remembering the details of other people's lives), actually, so mistaking yourself for an I is quite common.
    Clues: 1) ENTPs get unproductive and grumpy when left alone for too long. They need other people as sounding board and external pressure. Even traditional socializing, while they don't like it, can get them on track again.
    2) About theories: do you understand them first and discuss about them later? Or do you discuss about them first and understand them later (with the help of the discussion)?

Of course, it's also very well possible you're borderline E/I.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Question!
    Why not? I don't think type can predict whether things work out or not. Differences are okay if you accept them from each other. I know of an ENTP-ESFJ pair who will celebrate their 40th anniversary next month :-) I don't know if that would be the case if the ESFJ wasn't allowed to go playing cards each week and if the ENTP wasn't allowed to preside some school boards. The ESFJ can't understand what's interesting about school boards, the ENTP can't understand what's interesting about playing cards, but they allow each other to enjoy something they think is boring.

Now I need to get into my head that if my ESTJ watches sports, it does NOT necessarily mean he's bored and should rather use his free time for creative endeavours...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Not much, with that lack of explanation and attitude

I'm looking for clues (serious or not) from what you know about you
    Haha...sorry. I just didn't know what you wanted.

I still don't know how to answer your question. It's pretty vague. Tamske scratched the surface a bit. Um...look through posts made/answered/derailed by ENTPs and see if you resonate with them, I guess. Or look at type descriptions.

I will say this: I'm not extraverted in the people sense, but more in the idea and object sense. I'm not really all that interested in people dynamics and people interaction, but I DO need external stimulus to feel all balanced and stuff. If I'm alone for too long doing in the same place I get all squirrely. I gotta get out. I gotta see my friends. I gotta do something.

Anyway, was this kinda what you were looking for?

MBTI
    ENTP

ENTPs are not necessarily social extraverts.
    ENTPs need external stimulation, same with ENFPs. It means that they need more experiencing than processing. And I believe this is the main difference between ENTP and INTP, INTPs will process things more, and experiment less, and they won't bounce form one idea to another that much, they will analize things more profoundly. The ENTP can't because, while analizing, the need for stimulation will appear again...so the cycle will restart, and the previous thing will be semi abandoned. But this is how they process information.
    Another difference is that ENTPs like being the center of attention...acting like some sort of comediants INTPs don't do that as much...also, ENTPs would TALK ALL DAY LONG about what interests them, while INTPs won't talk THAT much...
    While the INTP will process an idea, an ENTP will say it to everyone on the face of earth, looking for random feedback (stimulation). I don't think INTPs will do that as much.

This is the best explanation I can give for now.

And because of this dynamic, ENTPs need INTPs, and INTPs need ENTPs.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Actually it hasn't been asked before

That's of course possible... Well, I'm quite I/E balanced, too, and tests place me in the INTP category almost as often as in the ENTP...
    Most ENTPs aren't good at traditional socializing (smalltalk, being together for the sake of being together, remembering the details of other people's lives), actually, so mistaking yourself for an I is quite common.
    Interesting…

Clues: 1) ENTPs get unproductive and grumpy when left alone for too long. They need other people as sounding board and external pressure. Even traditional socializing, while they don't like it, can get them on track again.
    I do this sometimes. And I often need to rely on people to get me back on track, though I am very reluctant to do so. This was particularly evident in group work the other day. It was frustrating because I desired so much to idea-collaborate with the group, but since the people understood the assignment way better than I did, I feared they would just tell me the answer and then I wouldn't be able to analyze the problem myself.

2) About theories: do you understand them first and discuss about them later? Or do you discuss about them first and understand them later (with the help of the discussion)?
    I am sort of in-between on this... I would need to consider this further.

Of course, it's also very well possible you're borderline E/I.
    ‘tis starting to appear that way…

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Um...look through posts made/answered/derailed by ENTPs and see if you resonate with them, I guess. Or look at type descriptions.
    I have done this, but I’ll do this some more.

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    I will say this: I'm not extraverted in the people sense, but more in the idea and object sense. I'm not really all that interested in people dynamics and people interaction, but I DO need external stimulus to feel all balanced and stuff. If I'm alone for too long doing in the same place I get all squirrely. I gotta get out. I gotta see my friends. I gotta do something.
    Anyway, was this kinda what you were looking for?
    Yes. And I am relating to this. Wow, this is looking a whole lot more plausible…

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    ENTPs need external stimulation, same with ENFPs. It means that they need more experiencing than processing. And I believe this is the main difference between ENTP and INTP, INTPs will process things more, and experiment less, and they won't bounce form one idea to another that much, they will analize things more profoundly. The ENTP can't because, while analizing, the need for stimulation will appear again...so the cycle will restart, and the previous thing will be semi abandoned. But this is how they process information.
    In this regard, I am very much in between the two.

Another difference is that ENTPs like being the center of attention...acting like some sort of comediants INTPs don't do that as much...
    This is something that I often do not relate to in the INTP profile. I like being comfortable being the center of attention sometimes, even if I am sometimes very awkward with it.

also, ENTPs would TALK ALL DAY LONG about what interests them, while INTPs won't talk THAT much...
    Talking all day along about what interests me is as a possibility, but it’s also very out-there because I rarely talk at all.

While the INTP will process an idea, an ENTP will say it to everyone on the face of earth, looking for random feedback (stimulation). I don't think INTPs will do that as much.
    I am in-between on this as well.

This is the best explanation I can give for now.
    And because of this dynamic, ENTPs need INTPs, and INTPs need ENTPs.
    Excellent explanations from everyone here =)

It has actually led me to a much cooler perspective on this… part of which is my last post here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1507329

Strong evidence of this dynamic at least, if I was correctly typed all along =P

But also it has led me to this question: is it common for an ENTP to look very introverted when chronically understimulated?

The main reason why I have thought that I could not be ENTP is that, from what I’ve seen so far, they have this “energy” about them that I could only dream of matching. And I assumed that this energy difference is what made me of the introverted variety. But perhaps this is just what happens when one is introverted in the layman’s sense but not in the typological sense and the extraverted functions (Ne in particular) are kind of starved.

Does this make any sense?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Shorthand:

INTPs do not often question if they're ENTP. If you think you're INTP and question if you're ENTP, you probably are.
    ENTPs frequently question if they're INTPs If you think you're ENTP and question if you're INTP, you probably aren't.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

But also it has led me to this question: is it common for an ENTP to look very introverted when chronically understimulated?

The main reason why I have thought that I could not be ENTP is that, from what I’ve seen so far, they have this “energy” about them that I could only dream of matching. And I assumed that this energy difference is what made me of the introverted variety. But perhaps this is just what happens when one is introverted in the layman’s sense but not in the typological sense and the extraverted functions (Ne in particular) are kind of starved.
    When stressed or depressed ENTPs tend to internalise, which results in further stress and depression as the lack of bounce off other people is draining. Lack of energy is a killer for me, I know it's there but due to dietary issues it's not seen often. If anyone irl were to type me based on dichotomies not functions they would call me an Introvert.

I'm an ENTP 7w8 sp/so and not many people would call me energetic. Enthusiastic when excited yes, energetic not so much.

MBTI
    ENTP

ENTPs are more reactive than INTPs, because of their need for stimulation, INTPs observe stuff more, while ENTPs interact.

Who knows these things...maybe you're in the middle...

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I'm an ENTP 7w8 sp/so and not many people would call me energetic. Enthusiastic when excited yes, energetic not so much.
    Me too. People have actually said that to me.

I'm usually excited when I meet new people...so I was more talkative when I met them, but with time I'd be less and less energetic...because we'd go out everyday.