User Tag List

First 3341424344455393143 Last

Results 421 to 430 of 1568

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

  1. #421
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    I think you'll find it's spelled standard.

    And no, we do not. At least not always. To quote the great psychiatrist Gag Halfrunt: "Vell, ENTP's just zese guys, you know?"
    (removed)

  2. #422
    Senior Member StrawMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misia View Post
    do you always need to be in the control of the situation? do you often end up having power struggles with people around you? is it a double standard?
    My basic mode is that I don't need to be in control, if anyone else doesn't try to control me. If it seems that someone tries to influence me in the way I don't like, there might be some kind of power struggle for educational reasons to the other person. Some boundaries have to be set, mostly in humorous way.

    Depends what you mean by being in control of the situation though? I would assume that a lot of ENTPs are quite talkative and active in social situations. Sometimes I also like to say shocking and a little bit outrageous things to stimulate the convo. I know, I'm a kid sometimes.

  3. #423
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misia View Post
    do you always need to be in the control of the situation? do you often end up having power struggles with people around you? is it a double standard?
    Well you dont end in power struggles when everyone is dead around you. Was that the question ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #424
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misia View Post
    How do you get to know an ENTP without getting manipulated, deceived, hurt (or pregnant) in the process?
    I've been hanging out this summer with him from time to time, and there is a connection, but sometimes he just annoys the hell out of me with his puppet master attitude. Now I wouldn't even bother if he wasn't so clever and fascinating, but putting up with his crap just drives me away.
    Does a particular strategy work for you? We usually meet at a bar so no one-on-one deep discussions and I have about an hour before he gets distracted and flies away.
    Be upfront. We can't handle hints. If you want to get to know him better:
    - be fascinating and clever yourself. Don't keep on listening and asking questions and being interested in him. Sure, ENTPs like attention, but if you just flatter them, they will think you are boring. We need a sparring partner in our debates. We want some input from you too. Remember our primary means of connecting to the world is through Ne, the abstract idea gatherer. We want your ideas so we can elaborate on them or argue them. If we criticize your ideas, we don't want to hurt you. On the contrary. We're interested.
    - probably this doesn't work for every ENTP, but I'm "a Sensor when it comes to Feeling": I hate abstract discussions about emotions and ideals. I like simple emotions which I can understand and know the reason of. I'm a woman and things like "I feel like... I don't know, but... just leave it alone, it's okay" scare the hell out of me. I prefer "I'm angry with you because you promised to do this and you didn't do it."

    Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    Is an ENTP likely to be subtle or up front?
    For example, the passive facebook status -- is that directed at someone in particular, or is it more likely that they really are just making a broad statement?
    Not interested in facebook right now? As I don't get hints myself, I'm not likely to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misia View Post
    It feels like I'm asking for dating advice based on random facts but that's not really the point of the idea.
    To sum it up, do you always need to be in the control of the situation? do you often end up having power struggles with people around you? is it a double standard?
    In control - yes, a little bit. Mostly I need to understand everything and everyone. Difficult concepts are a challenge (if you want to keep the ENTP, provide plenty of those). Difficult feelings are a horror (because they are not logical.)
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  5. #425
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    ENTPs -

    Do you generally learn better by reading about and researching things, or by interacting with them?
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  6. #426
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    ENTPs -

    Do you generally learn better by reading about and researching things, or by interacting with them?
    Depends on what "things" are. I have to conceptualise and see something in a bigger picture before I can fully comprehend it, seeing something in practice tends to show that easily but if there is a lot of depth to it then researching may be the better option. I am a compulsive researcher.

  7. #427
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Indeed, depends. Also depends what sort of interaction.
    Debating is one of my favourite means of building up abstract knowledge and opinions. Teaching and being taught trump reading and seeking things out for myself.
    Hands-on experience only works when I also understand how it works... yes I'm an N. Cooking is interesting because it's chemistry. Cleaning is boring because you don't create anything. When I clean, the only thing to look at is dirt which means work. When I cook, I look at the olive oil losing viscosity when it's heated, I smell the promise of good food...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  8. #428
    "Everything in its place" fill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    753
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misia View Post
    To sum it up, do you always need to be in the control of the situation? do you often end up having power struggles with people around you? is it a double standard?
    I like to be in control, but if someone else is dead set on leading, I'm okay with it because a). I won't be held accountable for failure if someone else messes up, and b). I have less of a work load, which I'm okay with as I get more free time to do what I please with.

    Relationship wise? I can't answer that question, really. I don't act in any way "ENTP"-like in a relationship. I'm actually nice, serious, dedicated, and not a complete ass, which usually scares my partner into leaving, which scares me into leaving potential long-term partners by leaving before they can leave me. In other words, when it comes to relationships, I'm scared by my own shadow.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

  9. #429
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    When an ENTP says they don't want to be committed yet but they talk about having kids with you, a future with you, and where you both will travel together.... What does this mean?

  10. #430
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    They aren't committed yet but they still enjoy hypothesising about a future together.

    Take their comment about not being committed seriously - I interpret "not wanting to be committed" as not being committed for the simple reason that making that comment means they would likely be holding back, or considering other possibilities.

    Trusting emotions in the moment is something I'm wary of. For that reason I attempt to pick my words carefully and try to be as honest as I can in how I reflect my inner thoughts and feelings, in the moment however I may be overcome with positive, loving feelings towards the person I'm with, or get caught up in future possibilities. In the past that has lead to saying things I shouldn't have as they gave someone a concrete image of where I was at that was simply me going with the moment. It takes time for me to understand where these feelings came from, it can take a long time to understand if they are genuine or are they more selfish as in "I love how you feel about me" kinda way. Until I fully grasp that I will be somewhat uncommitted, loyal but uncommitted.

    That said being able to see a future together is a good thing.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Ask an ENTP
    By ZNP-TBA in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM
  2. [ENTP] How should an ENTP choose a career?
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 10:37 PM
  4. Ask an ENTP get a nasty answer
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
  5. [ENTP] A few problems being an ENTP has caused
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO