User Tag List

First 234561454104 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Whoa, settle down there, buddy, I was just kidding
    Don't worry. I just wanted to get this clear. Sometimes I've got this feeling I've got to battle against the stereotype image of "ENTP = cool but useless". Actually, I guess lots of people on this forum either battle against the stereotypical image of their type, or just go with the flow and use their type as excuse for their behaviour. I just want to make clear I'm of the first kind.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You dont kid with girls, even if they try to live up to some imaginary standards called entp set up by society for them
    I'm trying to live up to *ESTJ* standards of reliability (*), at least on this thread! But all the while answering like an ENTP would do, of course, otherwise this thread is pretty pointless.

(*) Yes, I'm ambitious

More questions?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Strange.
    Life was suddenly much more interesting when this guy was around. When I heard he had a girlfriend, I felt despair. When I realised I *misheard* it (because of some similar sounding words in Dutch), all was well again.
    We were friends and shared some interests. I felt at ease with him, but when I was alone, I was scared I've done or said something stupid and made myself less desirable.
    The first time I realised I had actually fallen in love with him, it was because someone asked me 'if he was my lover'. No, he was just a friend - but the word connected and enhanced every thought and feeling I had about him.
    Thank you. That made it very clear for me. You are lucky to have found and married your love.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Don't worry. I just wanted to get this clear. Sometimes I've got this feeling I've got to battle against the stereotype image of "ENTP = cool but useless". Actually, I guess lots of people on this forum either battle against the stereotypical image of their type, or just go with the flow and use their type as excuse for their behaviour. I just want to make clear I'm of the first kind.
    I've never thought of it as "cool, but useless". More like "inconsistent, but there when it's important".

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I've never thought of it as "cool, but useless". More like "inconsistent, but there when it's important".
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'm trying to live up to *ESTJ* standards of reliability (*), at least on this thread! But all the while answering like an ENTP would do, of course, otherwise this thread is pretty pointless.

(*) Yes, I'm ambitious

More questions?
    Aw

Well, since this thread was, I'm honored and surprised to say, inspired by the one I started, I might as well ask a question too!

What inspires you ENTPs to do things so differently? Is it that you trust your own judgment more than you trust the system? That you get bored with the "traditional" route? Because one of my very good friends, who is an ENTP, makes a point of doing everything the opposite way of what you'd expect. (Plus, being an ESTJ, I can't relate to that sort of behavior very well... )
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    What inspires you ENTPs to do things so differently? Is it that you trust your own judgment more than you trust the system? That you get bored with the "traditional" route? Because one of my very good friends, who is an ENTP, makes a point of doing everything the opposite way of what you'd expect. (Plus, being an ESTJ, I can't relate to that sort of behavior very well... )
    To keep us, and you...on our toes.

It's always Swan Lake, 24/7, in our minds (including the tutus).

Don't think you can be the nut cracker. All who tries, fails.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Aw

Well, since this thread was, I'm honored and surprised to say, inspired by the one I started, I might as well ask a question too!

The important part is the goal. How you get there is ultimately irrelevant as long as it gets done, right? You don't learn anything by attacking a problem from the same angle every time.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Aw

Hahaha, this is hilarious to me.

I don't do things differently because honestly I don't know what different is. I don't go around comparing myself to everyone else. I have no idea what normal is because I seriously don't pay attention to most things around me. If someone asks me how to bake a cake, I would just attempt to bake one using things that logically make sense. It wouldn't even occur to me to look in a cookbook. I would try and fail and try again until I got it right. When I build Ikea furniture, I have to look at the picture of what the end result is going to be and I figure it out from there - I literally cannot follow the instructions. It's like my brain shuts down just imagining the tediousness of it all.

I guess what I'm saying is that other people's experiences generally mean nothing to me. I have to see it for myself in order to believe it. Doing something because "that's the way it's done" literally makes no sense to me at all. I want to try it a million other ways, just to be sure it's right for me. But maybe that's just me, I don't know.

The real question is why do SJs do everything the same?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Aw

I'll try to explain this in a way that makes sense based on what I know from ESTJ's. I believe an ESTJ would get a really good feeling from accomplishing goals. It good be a small good feeling like crossing things off of a list, or a really good feeling like getting your diploma after years of study and hard work. An ESTJ feels good about accomplishing goals, and more importantly is very good at accomplishing goals, because ESTJ's tend to use the most prudent accepted method. Doing this will make achievements easier and more efficient.

Now the ENTP perspective. An ENTP's good feeling comes from imagination rather than efficiency and reasoning. When an ENTP wants to accomplish a goal they'll imagine a way that they think it should be done, and then privately reason to themselves to figure if their brainstorm makes sense and has a chance of working. So when an ENTP wants to do anything the first place he goes is his imagination. That's why we tend to do things differently. Our first instinct is just to dream up our own way of doing it instead of finding out what the accepted way is. (And even if we do know the accepted way that is boring, because it didn't come from our imagination.) Whenever we ENTP's get something to work based on our imagination it's a really good feeling, just like the feeling an ESTJ gets from accomplishing a goal that took a lot of time and energy.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

^^very good post.