User Tag List

First 1321222324253373123 Last

Results 221 to 230 of 1568

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

  1. #221
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Has there ever been a point that you could easily test as an J at all? I would have thought it nearly impossible unless you're a specific kind of ENTP, yet I know a dude who I think is misstyped himself as an ENTJ. I always thought there was a big difference between ENTJs and ENTPs... It may just be an E8 thing... maybe...
    I initially tested as INTJ (unless it's a function based test I come out as INTP now), I think this is mostly as I was raised in a strong J house: mother ESFJ, big bro ENTJ and sis INFJ, many of the traits that show themselves in my natural ENTPness were considered negative things that I had to overcome not embrace and work with, when I didn't finish something I started I was "lazy" and when I wanted fun over work I was "immature" and so on, I believed it, that combined with the fact that I often live in a state where my Si has control resulted in testing as INTJ.

    I'm an enneagram 7w8 and the ways I can relate to my big bro are numerous but the main and glaring difference that has always been there is his goals, aspirations and passions are all related to some bigger scheme that fits into his life goals and often relate back to some money making venture. All of which he follows through on, if he doesn't suceed he learns something and continues in a slightly different but related area. He's productive at all times. Me on the other hand, most of my passions have absolutely nothing to do with anything practical, I love getting head first into things like geography, history, sociology, music and sports but not in a way that could generate income and without lasting interest, when I lose interest in one goal my next interest generally has no link to my last one.

  2. #222
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Yeah, you're right, getting things done isn't the criterium for J-ness.
    J = methodical, planning,...
    I've got some J characteristics, but I won't mistake myself for one. I've also got this impression there is a big difference between ENTJ and ENTP, more than eg. between ENTP and INTP; or ENTP and ENFP. The ESTP-ENTP difference also seems a big one to me.
    Maybe it has to do with the functions. The ENTP's NeTi is totally different from the ENTJ's TeNi; while NeTi and TiNe, well, that's just a bit shifting. ENTPs and ENFPs share Ne-dom while ESTPs and ENTPs only share Ti-aux.
    But I'm also biased. I can find myself in the ENTP and the INTP descriptions (with slightly more E), and share some characteristics with the ENFP too. ENTJ? No, that's not me. At all.

    I wonder if there are any ENTPs who lean towards ENTJ (or vice-versa).
    The only one that comes to mind is Cloud on here. I think there's a lot of similarity between ENTP and ESTP really. The biggest difference is that ENTPs can out-drink ESTPs at the university level . I think it's mainly the attitude that's similar, which is often that of an asshole or nice and bright-sparkling positive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I initially tested as INTJ (unless it's a function based test I come out as INTP now), I think this is mostly as I was raised in a strong J house: mother ESFJ, big bro ENTJ and sis INFJ, many of the traits that show themselves in my natural ENTPness were considered negative things that I had to overcome not embrace and work with, when I didn't finish something I started I was "lazy" and when I wanted fun over work I was "immature" and so on, I believed it, that combined with the fact that I often live in a state where my Si has control resulted in testing as INTJ.

    I'm an enneagram 7w8 and the ways I can relate to my big bro are numerous but the main and glaring difference that has always been there is his goals, aspirations and passions are all related to some bigger scheme that fits into his life goals and often relate back to some money making venture. All of which he follows through on, if he doesn't suceed he learns something and continues in a slightly different but related area. He's productive at all times. Me on the other hand, most of my passions have absolutely nothing to do with anything practical, I love getting head first into things like geography, history, sociology, music and sports but not in a way that could generate income and without lasting interest, when I lose interest in one goal my next interest generally has no link to my last one.
    I would have thought that the difference you've described is more related to Sensing. You know, jumping from one interest to another seeminly unrelated interest => an intuitive leap? Percievers however do supposedly tend to be more distractable, even INTPs suddenly drop everything and change careers (albeit after like 5 whole years lol).
    5 3 9

  3. #223
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    lol nobody outdrinks ESTPs, except sometimes ESFPs. Se dominant, come on!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #224
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    lol nobody outdrinks ESTPs, except sometimes ESFPs. Se dominant, come on!
    I don't know if the source of that information was decent, but supposedly ENTPs are more likely to drink too much on campus. That might be because ENTPs are over-representated at Uni though. There may need to be a contest in the near future
    5 3 9

  5. #225
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I would have thought that the difference you've described is more related to Sensing. You know, jumping from one interest to another seeminly unrelated interest => an intuitive leap? Percievers however do supposedly tend to be more distractable, even INTPs suddenly drop everything and change careers (albeit after like 5 whole years lol).
    You mean Se? How so?

    I have lousy-lousy Se, it's quite embarrassing how lousy it is, Ne however is my constant state of mind, that's what I see driving my constant need for new material to hold my interest and as an E7 I want to be constantly in a state of high excitement about life. What I delve into generally has no real life use or practicality though.

    What happens with me is I get excessively interested in something new, indulge in it and attempt to learn every single thing there is to know about it, but get bored with it before I do so cause it's no longer new so I move onto something else that appears shiny and exciting, reverse and repeat. How long I remain interested often depends on how intricate it is. This doesn't mean to suggest that I can't finish anything, just that in my personal-time hobbies I like to keep them new and fresh.

  6. #226
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    You mean Se? How so?

    I have lousy-lousy Se, it's quite embarrassing how lousy it is, Ne however is my constant state of mind, that's what I see driving my constant need for new material to hold my interest and as an E7 I want to be constantly in a state of high excitement about life. What I delve into generally has no real life use or practicality though.

    What happens with me is I get excessively interested in something new, indulge in it and attempt to learn every single thing there is to know about it, but get bored with it before I do so cause it's no longer new so I move onto something else that appears shiny and exciting, reverse and repeat. How long I remain interested often depends on how intricate it is. This doesn't mean to suggest that I can't finish anything, just that in my personal-time hobbies I like to keep them new and fresh.
    Sorry if that wasn't clear enough lol, I think your ENTJ bro might be a sensor, given that his descisions and choices are closely linked together. I'm probably terribly wrong here though, seeing as I don't know the dude

    I've heard that E7 is also a deeply physical type, they like to please the physical senses as much as their minds. I'm really wondering how well this fits in with the whole Intuitive dominant thing??
    5 3 9

  7. #227
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Sorry if that wasn't clear enough lol, I think your ENTJ bro might be a sensor, given that his descisions and choices are closely linked together. I'm probably terribly wrong here though, seeing as I don't know the dude
    Ahh, he's definitely ENTJ, I was focusing on the differences but the similarities we have are numerous, we definitely share the NTness, he's just proficient and has follow through where I don't. We have the same kind of excitable interest in intellectual pursuits that others think we're crazy for, he's pretty abstract and a calculated risk taker. I'm more like my brother than anyone in my family.

    To explain him better: as a kid he had built a pigeon cage and raised hundreds of birds, he soon turned it into a business venture realising it was self sustainable by selling the baby birds to pay for the keep of the rest and make a profit.

    He then got his first car, did it up, sold it for a profit, got another better one and so on. Then it was property, bought low, sold high.

    He had an interest in photography so got proficient then turned it into a business photographing weddings, now many years later he turned it into a EBay hobby importing photography equipment from Asia and selling it at a fair mark-up, which has then lead to another job. It goes on and on, he thinks outside the square and has hundreds of other interests like accounting, law, music and so on that have all taken what I see as hard work in his spare time to become proficient but has then turned around into something that is relevant in one way or another.

    I've heard that E7 is also a deeply physical type, they like to please the physical senses as much as their minds. I'm really wondering how well this fits in with the whole Intuitive dominant thing??
    I often ignore/forget about my senses =/

  8. #228
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    lol nobody outdrinks ESTPs, except sometimes ESFPs. Se dominant, come on!
    Why would we want to?
    I'm the one who remembers everything from the first salary party at work. I can be funny and enjoy such parties without being drunk myself (I've got a Ne). Moreover, watching drunk people is fun in its own. Last but not least, the day after the party you are more alert, awake and productive than your boss.

    To a N, there are always at least two goals accomplished with the same decision.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  9. #229
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Why would we want to?
    I'm the one who remembers everything from the first salary party at work. I can be funny and enjoy such parties without being drunk myself (I've got a Ne). Moreover, watching drunk people is fun in its own. Last but not least, the day after the party you are more alert, awake and productive than your boss.

    To a N, there are always at least two goals accomplished with the same decision.
    I'm going to mark my calendar: Today is the first time I've ever heard a Russian E__P extol the virtues of abstaining from alcohol consumption.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #230
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Russian?... I'm Belgian!
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Ask an ENTP
    By ZNP-TBA in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM
  2. [ENTP] How should an ENTP choose a career?
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 10:37 PM
  4. Ask an ENTP get a nasty answer
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
  5. [ENTP] A few problems being an ENTP has caused
    By YoungGun2112 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO