User Tag List

First 1220212223243272122 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

MBTI
    ENTP

With the risk of repeating myself... not all ENTPs are the same. I've given that advice because it did work on me. Just try picture an ES-95%T-J trying to teach how to love to an ENTP
    It might help Nyx's friend. That's why I posted it. Maybe other people have other ideas about it. That's why they are very welcome to post theirs.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ENTP

Trying to revive my thread...

I recently read a column about "multitasking" and "boredness". It made me think about the old "bored ENTP" discussion. I'll quote:
    "Boredness is caused by the inability to concentrate on one thing at a time." If that's true, there is no wonder why the ENTPs are bored!
    I can see the reasoning behind it. You're bored by one thing, because you're already longing for the next one, and by the time the next activity comes along you've already thought it through and it isn't new and interesting any more, making you bored with second activity and longing towards a third...

But to me, being bored is also not enjoying yourself. I can very well concentrate on one thing (if it's complex enough, like teaching) and be not bored at all. There are also times when I'm bored out of my skull.
    But. There are times I'm not concentrating on one thing and I'm not bored either. Eg. I'm grocery shopping and my mind wanders about, inventing snippets of lessons and stories and I know, even if I forget them, they will come back when I need them. When I don't have to concentrate on the task I'm doing, I usually enjoy myself and don't long for tomorrow.

I'm only bored when the task is not challenging enough to be able to concentrate on it, and yet I can't let my mind wander around either. Eg. composing exams (I have to concentrate and it isn't complex), attending a boring lecture...

To me, the quote is false... there is always something new to learn. Right now, I'm trying to understand constructive 3D geometry.

MBTI
    ENTP

But to me, being bored is also not enjoying yourself. I can very well concentrate on one thing (if it's complex enough, like teaching) and be not bored at all. There are also times when I'm bored out of my skull.
    Yup, I feel you there. I took my LAST history course of my college career, should have received a B+ in the course, but didn't do the reading responses. Why? They are a waste of time in my mind. i did the reading, I participated in class, hell I answered most of the questions the professor wasn't looking for. But instead I will end up with a C- because I hardly did any. High school was much worse, I already knew most of the subjects taught so I would zone out or read all day long. It was not unheard of for my teachers to catch me reading a novel during the course of a school day.

Video games do the same. The only constant game I can play and not get bored are RTS or RTT games. I hate hate hate FPS. They are carbon copies of each other, to me there is no difference between left 4 dead and modern warfare 2, so why waste money on it? I designed a few of my own games via C++ that are very chaotic and ridiculously fun (also simple designs).

But interesting thing is when I get bored, something clicks on upstairs that entertains me. Photography, computer project, girlfriend's homework, mathematics: there is something to entertain me. Right now I'm figuring out methods to incorporate fractals into functionary designs.

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

I don't think I've ever met an ENTP in real life. Where are they??? I know they're like, 1% of the population, but so is my type, and I've known 2 others. Where are the ENTPs?
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

In my bed
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

How J can you be? And if you can be really J like, are you still crazy and fun?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP

I can get things done, even in advance, if I really need to. I can make a very methodical plan for something when I need to, when I'm interested in it or when I want to prove myself. I can still be crazy and fun. Cleaning the house doesn't stop you from singing random songs.

I absolutely hate "doing nothing and talking/complaining about real, existing things you can't change".
    I don't like "work and talking about the work you're doing" Well I *am* cleaning now, why do we have to *talk* about cleaning, too?
    I absolutely love "work and in the meantime discuss about theories/ literature/ banter and joke/ ..."
    Yesterday, I've done dishes together with another teacher at school, and he asked me to explain the connection between quantum mechanics and relativity theory!
    At another point yesterday I was standing with some other teachers, doing no work and discussing about how jobs were assigned to teachers. Now THAT's boring and, in my book, totally useless. (Well, it's not, as it gives the appearance of work being done, in contrast to the dishes example above, where real work is being done but it doesn't appear to be serious...)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I can get things done, even in advance, if I really need to. I can make a very methodical plan for something when I need to, when I'm interested in it or when I want to prove myself. I can still be crazy and fun. Cleaning the house doesn't stop you from singing random songs.

I absolutely hate "doing nothing and talking/complaining about real, existing things you can't change".
    I don't like "work and talking about the work you're doing" Well I *am* cleaning now, why do we have to *talk* about cleaning, too?
    I absolutely love "work and in the meantime discuss about theories/ literature/ banter and joke/ ..."
    Yesterday, I've done dishes together with another teacher at school, and he asked me to explain the connection between quantum mechanics and relativity theory!
    At another point yesterday I was standing with some other teachers, doing no work and discussing about how jobs were assigned to teachers. Now THAT's boring and, in my book, totally useless. (Well, it's not, as it gives the appearance of work being done, in contrast to the dishes example above, where real work is being done but it doesn't appear to be serious...)
    I thought J and getting things done were two different things? I guess they might correlate in some way.

Has there ever been a point that you could easily test as an J at all? I would have thought it nearly impossible unless you're a specific kind of ENTP, yet I know a dude who I think is misstyped himself as an ENTJ. I always thought there was a big difference between ENTJs and ENTPs... It may just be an E8 thing... maybe...
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, you're right, getting things done isn't the criterium for J-ness.
    J = methodical, planning,...
    I've got some J characteristics, but I won't mistake myself for one. I've also got this impression there is a big difference between ENTJ and ENTP, more than eg. between ENTP and INTP; or ENTP and ENFP. The ESTP-ENTP difference also seems a big one to me.
    Maybe it has to do with the functions. The ENTP's NeTi is totally different from the ENTJ's TeNi; while NeTi and TiNe, well, that's just a bit shifting. ENTPs and ENFPs share Ne-dom while ESTPs and ENTPs only share Ti-aux.
    But I'm also biased. I can find myself in the ENTP and the INTP descriptions (with slightly more E), and share some characteristics with the ENFP too. ENTJ? No, that's not me. At all.

I wonder if there are any ENTPs who lean towards ENTJ (or vice-versa).

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't get ENTJ's. They seem plodding rather than plotting.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."