User Tag List

First 4595135143144145146147155 Last

Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1568

Thread: Ask an ENTP!

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Don't worry, A, I'll still play along. That other thread was getting stuffy, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    You guys actually like it when someone keeps you at a distance? Watches you with hawk eyes (but still engages you, though with a ten foot pole at the very least)
    No. I used to do this when I was perpetually suspicious of others' intentions. Much of this came from an emotional disconnect, along with the inability to recognize trust not only as an abstract concept, but an emotion itself.

..and is this preferable at first, before you get to know the person?
    I prefer to be somewhat detached while trying to understand a person's intentions. Someone trying to be your best friend right away is a big red flag for me.

And for that matter, do you even enjoy that someone looks at you with a certain amount of...distrust at first?
    I don't like it, but I expect it, especially living in this country.

Lastly, is this how you yourself deal with new people you meet?
    My intention as of late has been to give people the benefit of the doubt until they do something that makes me uncomfortable somehow. Trying to analyze everyone's angle and motivation is one thing, but it's ultimately counterproductive. If I'm uncomfortable, it's a sign that my unconscious mind is picking up on something, and that is worth investigating.

What is with enjoying the animosity that goes on and is that what your bantering is based on and what you relish?
    I wouldn't say the animosity is enjoyable, as much as it is comfortable. It is something I'm familiar with, and have plenty of experience engaging in, for better and for worse. On the other hand, explaining my feelings and accepting criticism have been uncomfortable for me, largely as a result of family environment.

The pleasure in banter largely stems from being able to look at a given conversation from a completely different angle. You take something that a person has given you, shift it just slightly, and return it to them so they can appreciate it in a way they may not have realized before. When done gently, this can be a wonderful way of sharing with the other person. On the other hand, it can become destructive sarcasm very easily.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Don't worry, A, I'll still play along. That other thread was getting stuffy, anyway
    I appreciate that a lot, actually. Ironically, it was my little banter session with @phobik about tossing him over the cliff in the NT cliff thread that spawned this thread

No. I used to do this when I was perpetually suspicious of others' intentions. Much of this came from an emotional disconnect, along with the inability to recognize trust not only as an abstract concept, but an emotion itself.
    Interesting. I wonder if that is something that other ENTPs relate to.
    I prefer to be somewhat detached while trying to understand a person's intentions. Someone trying to be your best friend right away is a big red flag for me.

I don't like it, but I expect it, especially living in this country.
    The reason I asked this is because ENTPs, and to certain extend, NTs, seem more comfortable with jabbing each other, than they are with..well, bonding and sweet gestures. They seem to enjoy the aloofness, and play with the other person. Somethign I recognize, coz I do that same Ne-dance with others, but it seems to consist of different moves than mine :P

For instance, just now in the other thread, I said Id toss ENTPs off the cliff. @phobik decided to pick up on that and play with it. And well..he seemed to ehm, appreciate it more when I didn't show him mercy, so he could use his full Fe-guilttripping bag on me.
    It was kinda fun..I do know phobes a bit, so I was able to play along, but it seems weird to me, that he would enjoy it more that I would actually play along as a callous bitch, instead of..hugging it out, as such

it almost felt like a kind of bonding...though I aint sure how far one can take this

My intention as of late has been to give people the benefit of the doubt until they do something that makes me uncomfortable somehow. Trying to analyze everyone's angle and motivation is one thing, but it's ultimately counterproductive. If I'm uncomfortable, it's a sign that my unconscious mind is picking up on something, and that is worth investigating.
    Nice to see that. So before you would automatically wonder if they were up to no good?

I wouldn't say the animosity is enjoyable, as much as it is comfortable. It is something I'm familiar with, and have plenty of experience engaging in, for better and for worse. On the other hand, explaining my feelings and accepting criticism have been uncomfortable for me, largely as a result of family environment.

The pleasure in banter largely stems from being able to look at a given conversation from a completely different angle. You take something that a person has given you, shift it just slightly, and return it to them so they can appreciate it in a way they may not have realized before. When done gently, this can be a wonderful way of sharing with the other person. On the other hand, it can become destructive sarcasm very easily.
    So it isnt as much that the jabbing is more fun..its that ehm, you are more experienced and more comfortable with it? The switching angle thing I get, as I do that myself and I do love the irony it produces. So the combination leads to...intellectual games? So when, how and why does it become destructive sarcasm, and how do you slip there easily?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Well that was productive.
    yeah... poor ama.
    she kinda just got torn apart. all three, right in a row.
    sorry, doll.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    yeah... poor ama.
    she kinda just got torn apart. all three, right in a row.
    sorry, doll.
    ...see, anyone but you would get a shoe thrown at their head for that one *lol*
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Default Clarification is overdue

I appreciate that a lot, actually. Ironically, it was my little banter session with @phobik about tossing him over the cliff in the NT cliff thread that spawned this thread

For instance, just now in the other thread, I said Id toss ENTPs off the cliff. @phobik decided to pick up on that and play with it. And well..he seemed to ehm, appreciate it more when I didn't show him mercy, so he could use his full Fe-guilttripping bag on me.
    It was kinda fun..I do know phobes a bit, so I was able to play along, but it seems weird to me, that he would enjoy it more that I would actually play along as a callous bitch, instead of..hugging it out, as such

it almost felt like a kind of bonding...though I aint sure how far one can take this
    Okay, it seems I have to clean up this mess, since apparently I helped creating it.

@bold: Where is any evidence to support this other than inside your head, by the way in which you choose to attribute meaning to the data that you're perceiving?

To clarify on what was going on from my perspective: after I picked up to play with, like you said, you choose to go in a the specific direction that you then assume as being my/ENTP's preference. Do you see what you did there? Can you say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias?

So, you're the one who actually choose the direction of the play, and sure it was fun banter & watnot, no harm done - except for the misunderstanding going inside your head :P

What Fe really did was accommodate your choice of play, for the grater good, as, like pointed above it was all in good fun and harmless, not because it was some masochistic preference.

Hopefully this will help clarifying, this and perhaps other interactions you or anyone can relate to.
    Last edited by phobik; 08-08-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typos
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

...I made this thread because I did want to confirm the suspicion I had. I did state 'it seemed', didnt I? Great, so I got it wrong. Perhaps you would like to part take in this thread and help me figure it out? If not..I ll understand. Dont worry about cleaning up the mess that is this thread. Ill take care of it

Oh and you jumped to conclusions with regards to the misunderstanding in my head. So, you have a similar situation in your head going on. I made the thread to confirm...not coz I was convinced I was right
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

...I made this thread because I did want to confirm the suspicion I had. I did state 'it seemed', didnt I? Great, so I got it wrong. Perhaps you would like to part take in this thread and help me figure it out? If not..I ll understand. Dont worry about cleaning up the mess that is this thread. Ill take care of it

Oh and you jumped to conclusions with regards to the misunderstanding in my head. So, you have a similar situation in your head going on. I made the thread to confirm...not coz I was convinced I was right
    is there more?
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    is there more?
    Nope. Feel free to leave.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Nope. Feel free to leave.
    Used, abused and discarded. I see how it is.
    Last edited by phobik; 08-08-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: fixit
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Used and abused. I see how it is.
    More Fe guilttripping and bantering *confused*

...@onemoretime : translation plz?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★