Am I an ENTP?
I would very much appreciate any input from resident ENTPs, because I’ve been quite confused these past couple of days. After a hell of a lot of research, I think I now know the answer, though I’d like to see what other people think before I come to a definitive conclusion.
I’ll try to keep this as concise as possible but please bear with me – I’m not exactly on top form at the moment due to countless hours of overtime. Do not want.
- After reading up on the Jungian cognitive processes, it has become glaringly obvious that I do not use Fi. Whilst I could (very loosely) identify with the whole ‘filtering through information to gather what is relevant and needed’ a few years back, I can’t now and haven’t been able to for years. What I can identify with is Fe, which sounds far closer to the way I ‘feel’ about the world around me and the people within it. So… an ENFP that doesn’t use Fi. Hmm.
- I can identify more with Ti than Fi. Whilst I can’t agree with it 100%, a lot of it does make sense. For example, the definition I have to hand states that Ti will try to get its point across as clearly and concisely as possible. It is not uncommon for me to pause mid-sentence because a word (or phrase) which I feel would best drive my point home suddenly eludes me. If I cannot recall it within what I deem to be an acceptable amount of time or articulate an equally fitting sentence as a substitute, I’ll simply say “Never mind, it’ll come back to me” and end the conversation. This drives people batshit.
- I seem to ‘get’ things far more quickly than most other people I know. Whilst I am far from a genius, I typically don’t have to work hard to understand new concepts introduced to me. I am also a very theoretical thinker; I spend a great deal of time thinking about all kinds of crazy shit, though it is almost exclusively scientific in nature. Also, I get overly excited when TV shows documenting things like quantum physics get aired
I’m definitely a person that likes to think outside the box.
- Whilst I can and do (rarely) take some things to heart, it is almost always when my beliefs are attacked and, woe betide, ripped apart. Any criticisms levelled at me personally are generally met with objective analysis and acted upon accordingly.
- Although I’ve only ever participated in a few debates, I enjoy nothing more than speculating endlessly about the ‘big picture’ with intelligent friends. We can get lost in conversation for hours. The mental stimulation I derive from such exchanges is so obscenely beneficial to me that I couldn’t even begin to quantify their importance. They define me. I feel I can debate well in person, though I find it hard sat at a computer because there are far too many distractions.
- Whilst I have been a fairly laid back adult, as a child / teenager I was highly competitive and refused to come second at anything. I was always the fastest, the strongest, the loudest, etc. Also, I didn’t take any shit. I was always fighting (and winning).
- I enjoy pushing people’s buttons. I am definitely what you could describe as a troll, though it really is almost exclusively a bit of fun; if someone starts taking offense, I cease and desist... unless I'm not too fond of the person in question, in which case I may persist a little longer.
- I do sometimes avoid confrontation, though if I’m backed into a corner I go balls to the wall and tear shreds off people. I’ve had to cool this down at work, however; a senior manager thought they could one up me last year. Turns they couldn’t and ended up looking rather stupid. Alas, this was apparently not a smart thing to do (bah) and I ended up having a very, very hard 6 months at work. Shitbag.
- Although I very rarely do this, I have been known to absolutely annihilate someone with a few choice words. No exaggerations, no showboating – a genuine observation. The few people I have done this to have stayed out of my life forever. Which is great, because I wasn’t too keen on them.
- Whilst ENFPs seem to be very touchy-feely for the most part, I am fairly uncomfortable with physical touch. People I like can touch me occasionally if they wish, though I would never seek to initiate a physical exchange. Also, people seriously need to keep the fuck out of my personal space, lest they get shouted at and / or slapped.
- I cannot abide stupidity. This will probably sound harsh to most ENFPs, but what the hell – if I deem someone unintelligent (and therefore not at all stimulating), I pretty much outright ignore them. They’re lucky if they receive a monosyllabic response to any questions or statements levelled at me. I might… MIGHT tolerate them for a short while if I’m in an incredibly good mood, but I’d really rather not. Sometimes when such people talk to me I keep myself entertained by imagining how fun it’d be to set them alight whilst they babble on >:3
- I am endlessly curious about the nature of things in general. I am also interested in what other people think of things, just to see how their beliefs stack up against mine. If someone disagrees with me on a certain topic, I challenge their views and try to make them see sense (¬.¬)
- My sense of humour is dark. I laugh at things I really shouldn’t. I say things that provoke incredibly heated responses.
- For me, the whole point in life is understanding just what the hell. Apparently ENFPs are all for peace and that sort of thing. Whilst peace is great and all, I’d much rather unlock the secrets of the Universe.
- My thinking face is so badass, it scares children and small animals. Hell, I even scared myself the first time I caught my reflection whilst deep in thought. Obviously, this is an entirely valid point that adds a huge amount of credibility to my potential T-ness.
- Back to Ti: what I can’t agree with is the whole ‘taking things apart to see how they work’ thing. Now, I may have taken that point too literally; I am very interested in analysing the smaller parts of this wonderful little thing we call “Life” and seeing how the fragments add up to the much bigger whole. I love the Universe and would do anything to gain the ability to unlock its deepest, darkest secrets.
What you won’t find me doing is taking apart mundane shit like electronic or mechanical devices jut for the hell of it. I can do such things with a fair degree of proficiency if the need arises, though I have to admit… if it works when I want it to, whatever.
- Whilst I care very little for the great unclean (you know, those ‘other’ people) I do have a strange empathy for animals. I’d gladly save a bunch of furry, bright eyed assholes over a human I deem unworthy of my time. At least animals can’t offend me with their stupidity; they get away with it because they’re sorta cute.
- It seems that most ENTPs are hyper-intelligent and academically gifted. Whilst I’m more than smart enough to get by, I am far from a genius. Although my school grades were way above average, I did struggle with lot of stuff.
- It also seems that ENTPs have a great deal of self belief. Here’s the thing – I used to. I went through years of having zero self esteem, but I’m now back to feeling fairly badass… and that feeling grows day by day >:3 at present I am a fairly confident individual and I have fair self esteem. As I say though, this grows day by day.
- I am prone to the odd “OMFG, LIFE IS AMAZING!12!1!” Moment here and there. Some days I can definitely be shiny, happy and a bit manic.
- People seem to like me, in spite of the fact that I wind them up endlessly and say things that really, really shouldn’t be said. I tend to get away with a great deal. According to others (I didn’t even ask this, I was told) I’m “Funny, random and smart”.
Potential spanner in the works and also RE: struggling in school – I almost certainly have ADD. It was suggested by a tutor of mine (a Dr of Psychology and also an ADD sufferer) that I get it checked out, and I plan to – after reading up on it and taking a few online tests, I’m pretty much a text book case. This may have thrown me off the scent of being a T due to occasional emotional outbursts (I do occasionally get white-rage and hit shit when provoked) and also my attention span is terrible. Have you got any idea how hard it is for me to sit and type this? I’m so eager to finish I keep twitching and I’m sweating like a pig!
This post isn’t as clear or as concise as I wanted it to be and I’ve doubtless missed a load of points out, but there we have it. What do you think? Am I an ENTP, or am I a slightly miffed ENFP? Perhaps a half arsed, pretty shit ADD suffering ENTP? Any thoughts, questions, troll posts, lolcat pictures, whatever… all welcomed.
I have to admit, I am starting to think I'm a T. We'll see I guess.
[FAKE EDIT] FYI, there is no questioning my E, N or P.