User Tag List

Thread: NT Values

MBTI
    ENTP

Default NT Values

So I was thinking about how Fi is virtually non-existant in my general personality, and figuring this is not a good thing. For a start, as proteanmix pointed out, in a roundabout way, my lack of Fi and only weak Fe are what cause constant problems between myself and more sensitive folk.

So I got to thinking about Fi and what's about. I keep hearing the word 'values' bandied about, and TBH, most of my life I've not had a clue what it means. When people talk about these 'values', I find myself sitting quietly in a corner and thinking (but not saying, for fear of being chased by an angry, pitchfork wielding mob), "But... I don't value these things... I couldn't care less about these things..."

And so I tried to think about some things that I do value. Things I value in people, such as constancy - yes, that's the big one, I can't be doing with people whose behaviour towards me changes according to criteria that, to me, seem quite arbitrary - constancy (again, did I mention that I like constancy in people?). And integrity and sincerity. And directness, and assertiveness. In fact, I even love to see a good temper on a person

And things I value in the world, such as faith, and the endless cycles of history-and-forever, things that have stood the test of time (it's my inferior coming out there, heh), France (more specifically Normandy), good leadership, courage and progress.

The only way I could figure out that I value these things, and thereby get some clue as to what my values are, was to think of things that piss me off, and then try to figure out why.

So I invite the NT's here to tell me what they value in this life. What are your values? And if you like, tell me about some of the standard or normal values in your society that you disagree with, and why
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, I'm not implying that any dichotomy exists, I'm just asking NT's what they value... Many of my values overlap with those of most of society, but also there are places where 'we' diverge. I'm just interested in seeing where these places are for other NT's
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    ENTJ

My values? Honesty, competence, justice, directness, going against the grain for a good reason, expertise, standing up for your rights, authenticity, rationality, genuineness, integrity, loyalty, efficiency, independence, scientific method, etc.

I value rationality, strength, will, honesty, courage, integrity, flexibility, and honor. And probably a few more things like that. Stuff like compassion, empathy, and mercy are things that I don't even really think about, but it's not like I'm cold and brutal. I just approach things a bit differently. My contribution to mankind is not made up of hugs and kisses, but I still love the world and all of it's people.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Honesty
    Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    honesty
    Hm, could you expand on that? Do you see any distinction between different types of honesty, and/or value some more than others?

For example, I'd tend to be careful about calling honesty a value of mine, because there are certain types of dishonesty that I really don't mind at all and consider all kinda fair in the scheme of love and war.

I value people being honest about who they are, and where I stand with them. But as for whether they tell white lies, or fiddle taxes, or whatever, I really don't care.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I value respect, genuineness, intelligence, people with heart behind their actions instead of doing things because they're obliged to, sincerity, Real Talk instead of Superficial Talk, people who learn for the sake of learning, people who stick to their guns when they believe something, people who are open-minded enough to listen and hear others out without rejecting thoughts from the beginning.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Hm, could you expand on that? Do you see any distinction between different types of honesty, and/or value some more than others?

For example, I'd tend to be careful about calling honesty a value of mine, because there are certain types of dishonesty that I really don't mind at all and consider all kinda fair in the scheme of love and war.

I value people being honest about who they are, and where I stand with them. But as for whether they tell white lies, or fiddle taxes, or whatever, I really don't care.
    Nice call. Well, I agree that being dishonest is sometimes necessary and sometimes harmless. I don't like it when people lie just because they're afraid of what people will think of them if they speak the truth. (Not that you should go around saying all kinds of rediculous things that will get you into trouble, but you know what I mean.) That's the kind of honesty I respect. If more is at stake, then by all means, do whatever is necessary. I also don't like cheaters. If you're only cheating yourself, or if you're cheating a system that you believe is actually cheating you, then that's fine, I guess. The kind of honesty here that I respect is sort of like "No, it wasn't Rachel...I smoked your last cigarette while you were napping." or "Ah! Your tennis ball was inbounds by an inch! Nice one! You win."

The ability to admit to your mistakes, take responsiblity for your actions, and play fair. (Within reason, of course. I hope I don't really have to say that...)

I think you might be interested in the following:

http://www.16types.com/pdf/FSDA_Sample_Report.pdf

Not sure if you've come across this, but it's a sample report for a cognitive function test that seems to exist only in theory (seriously, if you figure out where I can actually take the thing, let me know).

It goes by levels of function development and gives an overview of what each looks like at various strengths.

I'm a lot like you when it comes to values and found the Fi section especially relevant.

Tell me what you think.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    You better lie if your life depends on it.

I tell the truth as far as it only concerns my opinions about *topics* and not what I think about other people or what they did. I try not to get into other people's business. Giving your true opinion about others can be negative for them, and telling others what they did is whistleblowing. I'll lie about things I know about other people. If someone asks me if X, did Y, I'll lie. I might tell x that you he needs to say the truth but won't do it for him. What you do is your problem, not mine.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Interesting about the honesty thing.

My INTP friend has no qualms about lying in social situations to get her out of having to have a superfical 'chit-chat' with a stranger. However, between friends, when it comes to asking her more direct (personal?) questions, she may try and avoid the question, but she won't lie.