• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Are female ENTPs less "extroverted"?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't mean "do female ENTPs have less capacity for Ne?"

I simply mean, do female ENTPs come across as more introverted, particularly in new groups? I've realized, via my Fe and Si, that my bold behavior and intellect is less accepted in certain social contexts. Females are "supposed" to be "kind-hearted" and "emotional" and, well, "girly", and my whacky ENTPness just won't allow that!

I've found that I'll often clam up in new groups while I'm still getting a grasp on what will be acceptable behavior, especially if I need to make a good impression on that new group, for whatever reason. I put up a lot more filters, and I just kind of keep my crazy thoughts to myself until I've figured out what will mesh well.

Any other female ENTPs empathize with this, or am I just using my gender as an excuse for my initial lameness when meeting new people?

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I like conversation, but I don't talk much without a reason. And I am kind but not in a typically girlish way.

My biggest problem is with being misinterpreted. A lot of people don't get my sense of humor, and I can be awkward and randomly blunt and other things.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dunno that female ENTPs are less extroverted, as in loud, social, chatty etc, than male ENTPs as I'm not a male ENTP, I do relate to what you wrote though.

I feel as though I've repressed a lot of my inherent behaviour because it's not socially acceptable for a female. What I've experienced my whole life is this:
- Do something that isn't feminine but is totally me; get pushed down by others.
- Do something that is considered feminine but isn't me; get praised.

People have good intensions but what it means is I'm encouraged and supported when I'm not myself, this means a lot of the time I smile politely and just do what others expect a gal to do even though I know it's not me, it results in me being quieter particularly around new people who haven't yet shown me if they would accept the real me or want to see the socially acceptable me.

Over the years I've become more and more aware of doing this and more aware of the little innocent things others say to me that suggest the real me isn't acceptable and stopped myself from presenting the image they want to see, but there's still a lot of things I do such as put up a guard and socially accepted image until I get to know someone.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I like conversation, but I don't talk much without a reason. And I am kind but not in a typically girlish way.

My biggest problem is with being misinterpreted. A lot of people don't get my sense of humor, and I can be awkward and randomly blunt and other things.

Yeah, I guess I feel the same way. I'm kind too. I'm polite, courteous, and helpful, but I'm not unconditionally sympathetic.

I also agree with the whole being misinterpreted thing. It's so awkward when you make a joke/remark that makes sense to you but all you hear in return is the chirping of crickets.

But do you feel like your humor and behaviour is less acceptable in typical social contexts because you are a woman? Do you think you'd be less introverted some times if you were a man and/or do you think it's more "acceptable" for men to be intelligent, witty, bold, and blunt?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I feel as though I've repressed a lot of my inherent behaviour because it's not socially acceptable for a female. What I've experienced my whole life is this:
- Do something that isn't feminine but is totally me; get pushed down by others.
- Do something that is considered feminine but isn't me; get praised.

People have good intensions but what it means is I'm encouraged and supported when I'm not myself, this means a lot of the time I smile politely and just do what others expect a gal to do even though I know it's not me, it results in me being quieter particularly around new people who haven't yet shown me if they would accept the real me or want to see the socially acceptable me.

Over the years I've become more and more aware of doing this and more aware of the little innocent things others say to me that suggest the real me isn't acceptable and stopped myself from presenting the image they want to see, but there's still a lot of things I do such as put up a guard and socially accepted image until I get to know someone.

I agree with all that, fo sho. I've kind of had to develop the capacity for "gossip" and listening to "drama" just so I can somewhat get along with most women. I guess I just turn on the Fe when I'm uncertain about how well my Ne/Ti will mesh with new people.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
But do you feel like your humor and behaviour is less acceptable in typical social contexts because you are a woman?

YES.

Do you think you'd be less introverted some times if you were a man

Probably not. I'm extroverted in the MBTI sense of needing a connection to externalities, but I'm not loud and swinging from person to person. Anyone with no knowledge of MBTI would either say I'm an ambivert or a mild introvert. I've always been that way, and I don't think being a guy would change that. But it would change my resentment over ...

and/or do you think it's more "acceptable" for men to be intelligent, witty, bold, and blunt?

YES.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Isn't ENTP supposed to be kind of an introverted extrovert anyway?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Probably not. I'm extroverted in the MBTI sense of needing a connection to externalities, but I'm not loud and swinging from person to person. Anyone with no knowledge of MBTI would either say I'm an ambivert or a mild introvert. I've always been that way, and I don't think being a guy would change that.

Yeah, I don't associate bombastic and overly chatty with extroverted. Social interaction comes natural for extroverts, while introverts have to put forth a bit more effort to be engage with people. That doesn't mean that all extroverts are always talking though.

Golly, don't use such big letters, misses! You're not a guy, so that kind of bold overkill is simply not acceptable. Next time you use size 4 font, please make sure you have a penis installed first, k?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's the same with male feelers. It's awkward for us to be ourselves.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Next to an introvert, I can look extroverted. But I look introverted next to every extrovert I know. They just talk and talk.

Ah, yes. Me too, me too. But next to male ENTPs, I still appear mildly introverted. Thus the gender correlation.

Isn't ENTP supposed to be kind of an introverted extrovert anyway?

So I've heard.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
After saying something I wasn't "supposed to say," I get the look. I can't describe it, but I've seen it so many times. Then I'm just like oh god, here we go again. :rolli:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
In all female xNTPs I've observed outside of this forum, I've been more inclined to type them as Is, although that roughly mirrors my results for male xNTPs. The women tend to be particularly defiant to stereotypes and use whatever wits they have with them to combat these stereotypes. They also tend to restrain themselves a bit in front of a professional group, especially one that doesn't fully appeal to their interests beyond their physical needs, but they live for a debate when they can get one.

I wouldn't mind there being a few more of those women around.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
In all female xNTPs I've observed outside of this forum, I've been more inclined to type them as Is, although that roughly mirrors my results for male xNTPs. The women tend to be particularly defiant to stereotypes and use whatever wits they have with them to combat these stereotypes. They also tend to restrain themselves a bit in front of a professional group, especially one that doesn't fully appeal to their interests beyond their physical needs, but they live for a debate when they can get one.

I wouldn't mind there being a few more of those women around.

I think most honorable men would have to agree :yes:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
YES! Story of half of my social life.

*goes to reconsider type*

Aw, well maybe we'll let you in the club. You can't really reconsider your gender though, so you'll never be *quite* as cool as us (short of some rather expensive operations)...

But yes, there is such thing as an introverted E. It's all about what comes natural to you, what you prefer. Do you thrive off of logical analysis and making things logically consistent, or do you thrive off of nonsensical connections, forming patterns from your outer world, and using these patterns/connections as a form of creative expression?

I've always thought that being an I, especially an INTP, made one particularly adverse to seeking social interactions, but perhaps if there can be an "introverted" ENTP, there can also be an "extroverted" INTP. Who knows...