User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Are female ENTPs less "extroverted"?

I don't mean "do female ENTPs have less capacity for Ne?"

I simply mean, do female ENTPs come across as more introverted, particularly in new groups? I've realized, via my Fe and Si, that my bold behavior and intellect is less accepted in certain social contexts. Females are "supposed" to be "kind-hearted" and "emotional" and, well, "girly", and my whacky ENTPness just won't allow that!

I've found that I'll often clam up in new groups while I'm still getting a grasp on what will be acceptable behavior, especially if I need to make a good impression on that new group, for whatever reason. I put up a lot more filters, and I just kind of keep my crazy thoughts to myself until I've figured out what will mesh well.

Any other female ENTPs empathize with this, or am I just using my gender as an excuse for my initial lameness when meeting new people?
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I like conversation, but I don't talk much without a reason. And I am kind but not in a typically girlish way.

My biggest problem is with being misinterpreted. A lot of people don't get my sense of humor, and I can be awkward and randomly blunt and other things.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I dunno that female ENTPs are less extroverted, as in loud, social, chatty etc, than male ENTPs as I'm not a male ENTP, I do relate to what you wrote though.

I feel as though I've repressed a lot of my inherent behaviour because it's not socially acceptable for a female. What I've experienced my whole life is this:
    - Do something that isn't feminine but is totally me; get pushed down by others.
    - Do something that is considered feminine but isn't me; get praised.

People have good intensions but what it means is I'm encouraged and supported when I'm not myself, this means a lot of the time I smile politely and just do what others expect a gal to do even though I know it's not me, it results in me being quieter particularly around new people who haven't yet shown me if they would accept the real me or want to see the socially acceptable me.

Over the years I've become more and more aware of doing this and more aware of the little innocent things others say to me that suggest the real me isn't acceptable and stopped myself from presenting the image they want to see, but there's still a lot of things I do such as put up a guard and socially accepted image until I get to know someone.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I like conversation, but I don't talk much without a reason. And I am kind but not in a typically girlish way.

My biggest problem is with being misinterpreted. A lot of people don't get my sense of humor, and I can be awkward and randomly blunt and other things.
    Yeah, I guess I feel the same way. I'm kind too. I'm polite, courteous, and helpful, but I'm not unconditionally sympathetic.

I also agree with the whole being misinterpreted thing. It's so awkward when you make a joke/remark that makes sense to you but all you hear in return is the chirping of crickets.

But do you feel like your humor and behaviour is less acceptable in typical social contexts because you are a woman? Do you think you'd be less introverted some times if you were a man and/or do you think it's more "acceptable" for men to be intelligent, witty, bold, and blunt?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I feel as though I've repressed a lot of my inherent behaviour because it's not socially acceptable for a female. What I've experienced my whole life is this:
    - Do something that isn't feminine but is totally me; get pushed down by others.
    - Do something that is considered feminine but isn't me; get praised.

People have good intensions but what it means is I'm encouraged and supported when I'm not myself, this means a lot of the time I smile politely and just do what others expect a gal to do even though I know it's not me, it results in me being quieter particularly around new people who haven't yet shown me if they would accept the real me or want to see the socially acceptable me.

Over the years I've become more and more aware of doing this and more aware of the little innocent things others say to me that suggest the real me isn't acceptable and stopped myself from presenting the image they want to see, but there's still a lot of things I do such as put up a guard and socially accepted image until I get to know someone.
    I agree with all that, fo sho. I've kind of had to develop the capacity for "gossip" and listening to "drama" just so I can somewhat get along with most women. I guess I just turn on the Fe when I'm uncertain about how well my Ne/Ti will mesh with new people.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    But do you feel like your humor and behaviour is less acceptable in typical social contexts because you are a woman?
    YES.

Do you think you'd be less introverted some times if you were a man
    Probably not. I'm extroverted in the MBTI sense of needing a connection to externalities, but I'm not loud and swinging from person to person. Anyone with no knowledge of MBTI would either say I'm an ambivert or a mild introvert. I've always been that way, and I don't think being a guy would change that. But it would change my resentment over ...

and/or do you think it's more "acceptable" for men to be intelligent, witty, bold, and blunt?
    YES.

I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Isn't ENTP supposed to be kind of an introverted extrovert anyway?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Isn't ENTP supposed to be kind of an introverted extrovert anyway?

Next to an introvert, I can look extroverted. But I look introverted next to every extrovert I know. They just talk and talk.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Probably not. I'm extroverted in the MBTI sense of needing a connection to externalities, but I'm not loud and swinging from person to person. Anyone with no knowledge of MBTI would either say I'm an ambivert or a mild introvert. I've always been that way, and I don't think being a guy would change that.
    Yeah, I don't associate bombastic and overly chatty with extroverted. Social interaction comes natural for extroverts, while introverts have to put forth a bit more effort to be engage with people. That doesn't mean that all extroverts are always talking though.

YES.

Golly, don't use such big letters, misses! You're not a guy, so that kind of bold overkill is simply not acceptable. Next time you use size 4 font, please make sure you have a penis installed first, k?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's the same with male feelers. It's awkward for us to be ourselves.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)