User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Default ENTPs roles within teams

Hey all

Right basically as part of the scheme I'm on I need to do a management course from CMI (charted managers institute).

I just got the feed back from the first of 3 residental weeks. Its interesting readings. I'll post it at the end.

Basically in my group we had 5 people!

Me - Cameron
    James - an assertive and quite agressive leader ExTJ
    and 3 other quieter people. 2 IxTPs and an ISxJ.

The problem was that well being ENTP I didn't want such a dominating ExTJ telling me what to do, I found it extremely draining and fustrating so I tried to be more of a leader myself.

The problem with this is that I couldn't be bothered telling people what to do making the decisions and focusing everyone as It too is very draining!

So the question is what role do I take in a team?

To put it into belbin I'm a plant/resource investigator.
    But I seem to want to play shaper at times.

So what roles do you ENTPs take in groups?
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Forgot the email!

Hi Cameron

Thank you for your email. I didn't intend to send out individual emails to every student however please note the following from our evaluation of the week.

There appeared to be a lot of 'storming' in your team. This was in part a result of your desire to be leader although James was appointed to this task. From your own feedback you indicate that you and James needed to remember to try and work together in leading instead of against. In fact this should not have been the case. As a member of the team you should have accepted the decision and worked with the team to achieve the outcomes required instead of causing conflict.

Secondly from group feedback it appears that you edited the presentation and removed key information without getting the team's consensus on this first. My observation is that this led to more conflict and a feeling from other members of the team that their input had been disregarded.

In terms of you presentation style I think you tried hard however there were parts of the presentation which were not rehearsed and not particularly coherent. I think had you not edited the content yourself this might have been better.

Generally I would encourage you to consider your role when working in a team (and elsewhere perhaps) and to consider a less conflicting and aggressive approach to communicating with other team members.

I hope you find this information of use.

Best wishes Sara

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well normaly I take on the role of an organizer and I try to uphold a democratic atmosphere in the group, meaning I ask the more quieter people out to get their ideas too. That way I most of the times become naturally the groups leader, tho I am not very assertive at all.

In the work environment so far, it was made pretty clear who is the boss and who is not by the SuperBoss who started the project, so what I am talking about are more like situations in University or from my personal environment.

This year I had a group in a course I had to take again, cause I failed the exam. Last year we had a game in this course in which you take on on a fictional corporation with all its financial numbers and compete in a computer game against 9 other corps, who all start with the same numbers. Last year my team won in the challenge, what was pretty amazing, so this year I had some experience to bring along.

This year then we had a very assertive and agressive person in the group, who took lead automatically but I managed to keep him at bay by outsmarting him. He became quiter then and fit himself more into the group atmosphere, what was good and worked for all of us. So basically speaking to him and discussing with him, why you want to do things this or that way helped. We ssadly didnt win the challenge this year, another team outsmarted us, but we got place 2 .

So I'ld basically say, try to explain things to a person that cant work in a group, ry to reason with him and if this doesnt work, look for a private conversation with him and explain him whats bugging you. If this doesnt work either, report him to your superiors. If there are no superiors: good luck
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm usually the idea person and the motivational source. I have more workable ideas in an hour than most people have in their lifetimes. And I can get anyone excited about anything - especially doing all the work for me.

But I can (and have) fit into any other role - the leader down to the grunt - as long as I know that it's only temporary. I am a great leader, and I can also plow through grunt work quickly and efficiently. But if it's long term, I will not survive in either situation and will do my best to brainstorm ways to get out of it while encouraging and manipulating others to execute the plan on my behalf, and making them think it was their own idea. This is what I am best at.

Also, I am a damn good researcher and will leave no stone unturned. Ne makes me see all the angles and Ti is probing as hell. I never get tired of research or of investigation.

Good luck.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Well normaly I take on the role of an organizer and I try to uphold a democratic atmosphere in the group, meaning I ask the more quieter people out to get their ideas too. That way I most of the times become naturally the groups leader, tho I am not very assertive at all.

In the work environment so far, it was made pretty clear who is the boss and who is not by the SuperBoss who started the project, so what I am talking about are more like situations in University or from my personal environment.

This year I had a group in a course I had to take again, cause I failed the exam. Last year we had a game in this course in which you take on on a fictional corporation with all its financial numbers and compete in a computer game against 9 other corps, who all start with the same numbers. Last year my team won in the challenge, what was pretty amazing, so this year I had some experience to bring along.

This year then we had a very assertive and agressive person in the group, who took lead automatically but I managed to keep him at bay by outsmarting him. He became quiter then and fit himself more into the group atmosphere, what was good and worked for all of us. So basically speaking to him and discussing with him, why you want to do things this or that way helped. We ssadly didnt win the challenge this year, another team outsmarted us, but we got place 2 .

So I'ld basically say, try to explain things to a person that cant work in a group, ry to reason with him and if this doesnt work, look for a private conversation with him and explain him whats bugging you. If this doesnt work either, report him to your superiors. If there are no superiors: good luck
    Good advice

I haven't had to work in teams much, but when I have, I ask whoever I'm working with which part of the assignment they want to do or just split it into sections and assign people to them. If someone else wants to take the lead, I'll let them, but then work semi-independently (I ask a lot of questions )
    5 3 9

I see you have a power struggle.

Let James be the Boss.

Get your work done on time, and prove your competence.

Do not argue with him until he attacks you first and make accusatiions.

How many supporters do you have?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post

Let James be the Boss.

Now, *that* is good advice.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post

Let James be the Boss.

Its not really big enough to have supporters.
    Theres one team guy who wants everyone to get on and have a laugh who prefers james as he get stuff done and that leaves more time for other fun stuff.

Theres another two guys, one of which goes with what makes sense in a very IxTP way and another who does a similar thing but i'm pretty good mates with.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Now, *that* is good advice.

well you have to let him start fights first. Since he is an aggressive and dominanting person, he should attack you someway or another. Then defend yourself and stir up the matter. But never start arguments and provoke fights first, otherwise you will be seen like an usurper and troublemaker.

The important thing is to have patience. Build up your strength and wait for him to show his weakness.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't think that rebelling against your team leader because you didn't like his style was a very good idea.

Are you trying to take over because you don't like to be told what to do, or because you actually feel like he is going to jeopardize the project?

If it's about being told what to do, then simply establish with him and everyone in your group how much freedom you will each have with your individual sections of the work. If you are actually worried he will screw it all up, you have to get everyone together to reassess your goals and break down the work and figure out some overall general plan.