• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs roles within teams

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey all

Right basically as part of the scheme I'm on I need to do a management course from CMI (charted managers institute).

I just got the feed back from the first of 3 residental weeks. Its interesting readings. I'll post it at the end.

Basically in my group we had 5 people!

Me - Cameron
James - an assertive and quite agressive leader ExTJ
and 3 other quieter people. 2 IxTPs and an ISxJ.

The problem was that well being ENTP I didn't want such a dominating ExTJ telling me what to do, I found it extremely draining and fustrating so I tried to be more of a leader myself.

The problem with this is that I couldn't be bothered telling people what to do making the decisions and focusing everyone as It too is very draining!

So the question is what role do I take in a team?

To put it into belbin I'm a plant/resource investigator.
But I seem to want to play shaper at times.

So what roles do you ENTPs take in groups?

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Forgot the email!

Hi Cameron

Thank you for your email. I didn't intend to send out individual emails to every student however please note the following from our evaluation of the week.

There appeared to be a lot of 'storming' in your team. This was in part a result of your desire to be leader although James was appointed to this task. From your own feedback you indicate that you and James needed to remember to try and work together in leading instead of against. In fact this should not have been the case. As a member of the team you should have accepted the decision and worked with the team to achieve the outcomes required instead of causing conflict.

Secondly from group feedback it appears that you edited the presentation and removed key information without getting the team's consensus on this first. My observation is that this led to more conflict and a feeling from other members of the team that their input had been disregarded.

In terms of you presentation style I think you tried hard however there were parts of the presentation which were not rehearsed and not particularly coherent. I think had you not edited the content yourself this might have been better.

Generally I would encourage you to consider your role when working in a team (and elsewhere perhaps) and to consider a less conflicting and aggressive approach to communicating with other team members.

I hope you find this information of use.

Best wishes Sara

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well normaly I take on the role of an organizer and I try to uphold a democratic atmosphere in the group, meaning I ask the more quieter people out to get their ideas too. That way I most of the times become naturally the groups leader, tho I am not very assertive at all.

In the work environment so far, it was made pretty clear who is the boss and who is not by the SuperBoss who started the project, so what I am talking about are more like situations in University or from my personal environment.

This year I had a group in a course I had to take again, cause I failed the exam. Last year we had a game in this course in which you take on on a fictional corporation with all its financial numbers and compete in a computer game against 9 other corps, who all start with the same numbers. Last year my team won in the challenge, what was pretty amazing, so this year I had some experience to bring along.

This year then we had a very assertive and agressive person in the group, who took lead automatically but I managed to keep him at bay by outsmarting him. He became quiter then and fit himself more into the group atmosphere, what was good and worked for all of us. So basically speaking to him and discussing with him, why you want to do things this or that way helped. We ssadly didnt win the challenge this year, another team outsmarted us, but we got place 2 :).

So I'ld basically say, try to explain things to a person that cant work in a group, ry to reason with him and if this doesnt work, look for a private conversation with him and explain him whats bugging you. If this doesnt work either, report him to your superiors. If there are no superiors: good luck :)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm usually the idea person and the motivational source. I have more workable ideas in an hour than most people have in their lifetimes. And I can get anyone excited about anything - especially doing all the work for me.

But I can (and have) fit into any other role - the leader down to the grunt - as long as I know that it's only temporary. I am a great leader, and I can also plow through grunt work quickly and efficiently. But if it's long term, I will not survive in either situation and will do my best to brainstorm ways to get out of it while encouraging and manipulating others to execute the plan on my behalf, and making them think it was their own idea. This is what I am best at.

Also, I am a damn good researcher and will leave no stone unturned. Ne makes me see all the angles and Ti is probing as hell. I never get tired of research or of investigation.

Good luck.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well normaly I take on the role of an organizer and I try to uphold a democratic atmosphere in the group, meaning I ask the more quieter people out to get their ideas too. That way I most of the times become naturally the groups leader, tho I am not very assertive at all.

In the work environment so far, it was made pretty clear who is the boss and who is not by the SuperBoss who started the project, so what I am talking about are more like situations in University or from my personal environment.

This year I had a group in a course I had to take again, cause I failed the exam. Last year we had a game in this course in which you take on on a fictional corporation with all its financial numbers and compete in a computer game against 9 other corps, who all start with the same numbers. Last year my team won in the challenge, what was pretty amazing, so this year I had some experience to bring along.

This year then we had a very assertive and agressive person in the group, who took lead automatically but I managed to keep him at bay by outsmarting him. He became quiter then and fit himself more into the group atmosphere, what was good and worked for all of us. So basically speaking to him and discussing with him, why you want to do things this or that way helped. We ssadly didnt win the challenge this year, another team outsmarted us, but we got place 2 :).

So I'ld basically say, try to explain things to a person that cant work in a group, ry to reason with him and if this doesnt work, look for a private conversation with him and explain him whats bugging you. If this doesnt work either, report him to your superiors. If there are no superiors: good luck :)

Good advice :thumbup:

I haven't had to work in teams much, but when I have, I ask whoever I'm working with which part of the assignment they want to do or just split it into sections and assign people to them. If someone else wants to take the lead, I'll let them, but then work semi-independently (I ask a lot of questions :D)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I see you have a power struggle.

Let James be the Boss.

Get your work done on time, and prove your competence.

Do not argue with him until he attacks you first and make accusatiions.

How many supporters do you have?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Let James be the Boss.

Now, *that* is good advice.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP

Let James be the Boss.

Its not really big enough to have supporters.
Theres one team guy who wants everyone to get on and have a laugh who prefers james as he get stuff done and that leaves more time for other fun stuff.

Theres another two guys, one of which goes with what makes sense in a very IxTP way and another who does a similar thing but i'm pretty good mates with.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Now, *that* is good advice.

:yes:

well you have to let him start fights first. Since he is an aggressive and dominanting person, he should attack you someway or another. Then defend yourself and stir up the matter. But never start arguments and provoke fights first, otherwise you will be seen like an usurper and troublemaker.

The important thing is to have patience. Build up your strength and wait for him to show his weakness.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't think that rebelling against your team leader because you didn't like his style was a very good idea.

Are you trying to take over because you don't like to be told what to do, or because you actually feel like he is going to jeopardize the project?

If it's about being told what to do, then simply establish with him and everyone in your group how much freedom you will each have with your individual sections of the work. If you are actually worried he will screw it all up, you have to get everyone together to reassess your goals and break down the work and figure out some overall general plan.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
CJ99

ENTPs hate to be controlled and more so manipulated... you don't know your wannabe ExTJ.... If that x is an S = then you are liable to get drawn into a quagmire of detail you are oncorfortable with - ie can't move on until all the fine points are done deals... the x = N they may play more manipulative games (esp when they don't know you)

In terms of role - I always think ENTPs ought not to try to have a role... because there NxP is quite vague and tryign to push through into one singular identity lacks authenticity - if that makes sense.

However if you can be yourself, people will follow because you are leading from social fusion and thus are a proper leadership.

That said ENTPs are not always the best managers - the presures of delegating and really hearing all opinions. I'd think T types have a particular difficulty when dealing co-operative types... because they want to make functional decisions rather than hippy ones ;)

Every team you go into there is an opportunity to have a different role or possition yourself more

Organising, ideas maker/innovator are natruals, actually makign the touch decisions is not comforting but nessesary

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think that rebelling against your team leader because you didn't like his style was a very good idea.

Are you trying to take over because you don't like to be told what to do, or because you actually feel like he is going to jeopardize the project?

If it's about being told what to do, then simply establish with him and everyone in your group how much freedom you will each have with your individual sections of the work. If you are actually worried he will screw it all up, you have to get everyone together to reassess your goals and break down the work and figure out some overall general plan.

Mixture of both.

He was quite restricting of ideas. Being an ENTP I didn't like having my ideas restricted and I also felt it was bad for the team as when we tried to brainstorm he kept on trying to stop it and go with the first idea that worked rather than actually consiidering all the ideas.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
CJ99

ENTPs hate to be controlled and more so manipulated... you don't know your wannabe ExTJ.... If that x is an S = then you are liable to get drawn into a quagmire of detail you are oncorfortable with - ie can't move on until all the fine points are done deals... the x = N they may play more manipulative games (esp when they don't know you)

Hes probably more N since is an engineering based scheme and he works for the woodgroup and he wasn't that unaccepting of ideas themselves he simple didn't like spending much time on them he grabbed the idea he like and force forward with it before we could all discuss whether we liked it and how we would work it.

Really dominational especially of Ideas - many of which were mine thus what fustrated me.

So it seems ENTPs can play any role as long as they keep themselves from being fustrated so my new question is:

What roles do you guys enjoy the most and find most natural?

Also how do you deal with ExTJs in work situations?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
But ENTPs also can hate doing things alone, especially if the role is not within his zone.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Best roles: creative, idea roles. Sometimes I can even create a plan :shock: I am really good at finding information and piecing it together in a creative, interesting way. I am not always a leader (though I end up like that) but I will not be pushed around.

ExTJ's: They bow down to me. They know I tend to have the better ideas, and if one of them doesn't want to listen, I say look, either you take my idea, which is a hell of a lot better than yours, and boss around the remaining people (if they need to be/they don't care) and leave me alone to do work, which you are impairing by your needless bossing. Got it?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
My experience with ENTPs on a team:

Unless somebody picks up one of your half-cocked ideas and actually does it they lie broken and whimpering on the floor. Or better yet! when it's been raining for a whole week and you see all these worms coming out of the waterlogged ground and you think to your self, geez I hope they make it to the other side of the sidewalk without being squashed. Yeah, it's like that.

:)