• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs roles within teams

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
So it seems ENTPs can play any role as long as they keep themselves from being fustrated so my new question is:

What roles do you guys enjoy the most and find most natural?

Also how do you deal with ExTJs in work situations?

yes your dude sounds ENTJ, I get on with them to be honest... so not sure maybe he is an S type... listen to his langauge - is it full of analogies and metaphores, does he think outcome/big picture? That will give you a steer... if he is an NT you are likely to eventually get on... but ENTJs take time to trust, much more so than ENTP's.

My natuaral role is not a manager but an enthusiastic coash person on the side... unfortunately in my career I'm now nearly always manager or leader... which suits me too but sometimes it means me focusing on stuff I'm not totally into.

I enjoy the creative things...

Leader is a funny thing, even before my career was established I would be a social leader, which could be distructive at times - encourging naughtiness. I'm a better manager if I park managment in favour of just being me and leading.

I LOATE being managed by incompotence... or having to report into incompotence.

I really don't do well with SJ's it bothers me greatly tat you can't get them to focus on big details - I work with abstracts and they can be most resistance to taking risks because they can't get it... they don't get it for 6 months or so 6 months of total hell while they readjust. ESTJ's are better and ISTJ - if either of them can own that they are not compotent life gets a lot simpler... but for an SJ that is like owning that they are an axe murderer.

Workin with ENTJ - fight to begin with, get the power dynamics out the way then it really becomes plain sailing. The ENTJ is likely to be sussing out if you are worthy of their time (they are oober dissmissive). Chances are if you are ideas man, you are very close to beign respected, once you have their respect they are pretty loyal and will seek you out as a thinking buddy.

good luck, it can be painful to get into the zone of being accepted

Lis

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My experience with ENTPs on a team:

Unless somebody picks up one of your half-cocked ideas and actually does it they lie broken and whimpering on the floor.
:)

^ This.

ExTJs can be unecessarily dismissive of potentially good ideas but ENTPs can also get too sidetracked with random impractical ideas. If he was appointed team leader, then it is his job to make sure the project moves forward and doesn't get stuck in a brainstorming phase, I highly doubt he is just trying to insult/control you. I think you can really improve your situation if you just lose that perspective.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Had an interesting discussion with one of the professional development instructors at college recently about this, indirectly of course, but it basically went that we (or at least I) am there to provide the conflict in a group. To point out bad ideas, to challange assumptions, to force change and make things better. Without one of those around, a group will generally fail badly because noone is willing to say when they're doing something stupid, or doesn't realize it. Those that mindlessly follow orders, or try to make everyone happy, or are blindly leading, don't see their faults, and are doomed to continue them until shown whot's wrong and how to fix it.

I'm not sure how accurate it is for all entp's, but it's probably similar for most.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I don't get lost in my head, so fantasizing about worms would never happen. That may apply to a more introverted sort. I admit that it would be a fleeting thought, though. :wink:

A lot of my ideas are half-baked, for sure, but that's because I spit them out as soon as they cross my mind. They aren't fully formed yet. And the sheer volume of ideas brings the ratio of half-baked ones down to a level that compares with any other type. You might have 2 ideas and one could be shitty. But I would have 10 and 4 would be shitty - so you notice mine more than yours.

My ESTJ bff most often defers to me whenever it comes to planning something or making a decision. She might know how to structure things well, but she trusts that I have done all the research and mental testing about the issue that she hasn't done, so she trusts me implicitly. She has often said that I am the only one she defers to and when we went traveling overseas together, she made not one plan - not even the countries we would visit. I made it happen without planning it in advance and she, the ESTJ, was relaxed enough to trust and follow. My point is that ENTPs aren't just daydreaming flakes.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
*Raise dead thread spell* *slaps himself for getting so fantasy geeky*

I recently read a MBTI article on types that are good in the facilitator role. Its said ESFPs, ESFJs, ENFPs and ENTPs filled this best and upon looking at the role of a facilitator found that that role was one I have played before and that I enjoyed.

Any other ENTPs have experience playing this role!

Week 2 of my management course is just after christmas so I'm trying to find a role to delibratly play - drawing on my stage experience to focu myself playing a role!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I facilitate, which is OK except where it's slow going, where there is temptation to fill in the blanks a no go for facilitation

Enjoy your course :D

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my crossfit classes I hope working hard motivates teammates. I don't break for long and often am concerned if others find me perhaps a bit out of sync because I'll start doing the drills.. I'm highly motivated and don't want to loiter if I feel pent-up energy.

Just as a suggestion doing things or gesturing others in supportive ways might benefit others. If I sense another struggling, often I speak to them something like "You Got This!!!. Your enthusiasm can give others that xtra drive to push through their goal.

So I imagine one role is being a leader using the strengths you have, also strike or move when you feel 'hot' or 'on your game' and build on what you see are your potentials or strengths!

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
In my crossfit classes I hope working hard motivates teammates. I don't break for long and often am concerned if others find me perhaps a bit out of sync because I'll start doing the drills.. I'm highly motivated and don't want to loiter if I feel pent-up energy.

Just as a suggestion doing things or gesturing others in supportive ways might benefit others. If I sense another struggling, often I speak to them something like "You Got This!!!. Your enthusiasm can give others that xtra drive to push through their goal.

So I imagine one role is being a leader using the strengths you have, also strike or move when you feel 'hot' or 'on your game' and build on what you see are your potentials or strengths!
necrophilia.jpg

chalky_lemon

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
I'm in business school and we have a lot of classes where we work in groups. There's always an SJ that does all the bullshit I would never want to do: being responsible for sending out the team e-mails, scheduling times for us to meet, being organized, being the one who actually turns the stuff in, the one who gathers the materials. So in this person's head, and for all practical purposes, s/he is the "leader" of the group.

I am always the one that comes up with the idea for the project. I'm always the one that is diplomatic and brings up issues people don't want to discuss. For Example "Well, [quiet person A] brought up that this might not work, because blah blah blah, what do you think we should do about this, team?"

Also, I bring a lively environment to group meetings, and am probably the asshole that gets everyone off task. Oh well.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Master of "what if's" and epic plans that end up going more so to the rest of the group once the initial thrill is gone, naturally.