• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP's sleeping needs...

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay, my dear INTP boyfriend needs his sleep. If he doesn't, he gets in a most desperate state. :sleeping:

I'm blaming his desperate need for sleep on his constant thinking abilities. :thinking: His extreme thinking zaps the energy right out of him. :coffee:

My youngest son (20), also a dear INTP, can sleep 12+ hours if I let him. I can blame it on his being on a computer 12+ hours a day, though (playing online strategy games). :doh:

Thankfully, I do like to sleep, but I don't need it... not like they do.

Any other INTPs out there that experiences this to this extreme?

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
I like to get about 8 hours a night, but usually survive on 6 or 7.

When my mind is particuarly active or when I am working on a project that I am really excited about I find that I need much less sleep. When it's finally over I will need a few nights of good solid sleep to recharge sufficiently.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey is this an INTP thing? Both my INTP friends do like their naps -- but one has been diagnosed with a straight up sleeping disorder (almost narcoleptic, sometimes she'll fall asleep and it is extremely difficult to wake her up). And the other has pretty bad insomnia.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it might be an IN_P thing, possibly even an I__P thing. I've heard of INFP's needing similar amounts of sleep. On the other hand, this could be type independent, and we're seeing connections where none exist.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, my dear INTP boyfriend needs his sleep. If he doesn't, he gets in a most desperate state. :sleeping:

I'm blaming his desperate need for sleep on his constant thinking abilities. :thinking: His extreme thinking zaps the energy right out of him. :coffee:

My youngest son (20), also a dear INTP, can sleep 12+ hours if I let him. I can blame it on his being on a computer 12+ hours a day, though (playing online strategy games). :doh:

Thankfully, I do like to sleep, but I don't need it... not like they do.

After coffee, I go to sleep after midnight.
Usually I have a REM sleep of sixteen minutes.
The bed clothes and the pillows are on the floor.
I remake the bed.
I remake the coffee.
I read five pages of one of my favourite books.
I slumber.
I sleep 46 minutes.
Alpha Beta Gamma?
My shrink says Beta.
What does he know about sleep?

I remake some coffee.
I go to the terrace to spot stars. If it is cloudy I go back to bed.
I have another REM for another sixteen minutes.
If I am lucky I shift to Alpha.. Beta.. Gamma.. not in this order as the Austrian idiot claims though.
If I am not lucky I go out to haunt the environment.

It does not always depend on the moon.. there may be some other factors involved.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think it might be an IN_P thing, possibly even an I__P thing. I've heard of INFP's needing similar amounts of sleep. On the other hand, this could be type independent, and we're seeing connections where none exist.

I'm sort of inclined to think it's a combination of thinking and introversion. When I was in my 'teens I needed 10 hours or so in order to simply not feel like a zombie all day. To this day 8 is my minimum, 9 my preference.

(Obviously this is just a thought of mine with no scientific basis whatsoever, so get those grains of salt out.)

Edit: I don't mean thinking in the Jungian/MBTI sense. The INFPs I've known have been very deep thinkers.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP

I typically run on about 3 hours or less. After particularly stressful events or illness, I might up that number to 5 hours, but usually only for a night or two. I tend to doze in little bursts, rather than sleep for uninterrupted intervals.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well between Rivercrow and Wildcat, my theory's been shot to hell...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For the last two years, I sleep about 5-6 hours a night max. On occasion, I have only had 4.

This is partly not my choice -- I have just had emotional anxiety and have trouble committing to sleep -- and I would like to sleep more if I could.

It has definitely had an impact on my thinking ability, but I also can maintain a level of functionality that I don't see in others who go so long without sleep. Most of them seem to be able to go without much sleep for a few days, and then their bodies shut down and they have to sleep and make up the time.

ygolo

My termites win
For the past two weeks I have been running on an average of 3 hours, but that is because I got 6 hours of sleep the last two days.

At some point, I will crash and will need to sleep a long time (I've slept for 24 hours before, with my roommate trying to wake me up by kicking me).

I really like getting 8-12 hours of sleep, however.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
I know someone a lot like this.:whistling:

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
ISFP boyfriend sleeps nearly twelve hours every day--more than anyone I have ever heard of.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I go to bed at 10:30, get up at 6:30. I am tired for the rest of the day. I go to bed at 1 am, get up at 9 am. I am perfectly awake, and don't need an alarm. :huh:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would generalise the theory that Is likely are prone to sleeping more (this is indirectly related to Introverts being prone to depression and despressed states of mind where sleep is a natural outcome). I would also hazard a guess that I--Ps are prone to this the most.

I used to sleep a lot and I still would like to - however, I've had problems sleeping all my life so I'm probably not typical in that regard.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've slept 12 hours straight out of the hospital, can't sleep that long these days...

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
Depends what's going on in my life. In school my bigger projects were usually completed in marathon sessions where I'd go two or three days on only occasional 45-minute naps, working all through the night and next day.

What's weird is that ever since I graduated I occasionally still pull all-nighters even if I have nothing to do. I just don't feel like sleeping. For a while last fall I was sleeping 12-15 hours, every other night.

Under more normal circumstances, though, yeah, 10 hours is the minimum to really feel comfortably rested. But I struggle with insomnia, so getting actual, deep, healthy sleep can be a problem in and of itself.

Keoren

MBTI Type
INtP
I can easily sleep ~12 hours a night if not interrupted. If it was up to me to guess, I'd say it's my I__P in the works. N might also play a slight role in this with my tendency to keep on slipping back to sleep or atleast staying in a half awake-half sleeping mode despite waking up several times already. I just start going through ideas in my head and *poof* - asleep.

My ideal rhythm would be going to sleep at around 4-6 AM and waking up at around 3-6 PM.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I was just wondering if there was a connection... it seems that I was barking up the wrong tree since there are varying amount of answers here.

My INTP boyfriend also needs sleep to recharge for about 20-minutes during the day just so he can process better for the afternoon.

But I guess I could, too, though! :smile: