User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm asking specific questions -> I'm interested.
    I'm asking general questions -> I'm bored but I want to be polite.
    I'm zoning out -> I'm sorry.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I'm asking specific questions -> I'm interested.
    I'm asking general questions -> I'm bored but I want to be polite.
    I'm zoning out -> I'm sorry.
    Totally this.

I tend to forget about conversations too. Sometimes I'll read a message on facebook, click away, and totally forget I had to reply to it. I walk away from my computer a lot, and forget to put up away messages, etc. Some people get really offended when you don't respond to them right away
    In my defense, I am a terrible person.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    ENTPs- what's a good sign that I'm boring you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    You would be like......
    What ENTPs?
    yeah, they never come into the thread!

(and you must be REAAAAAALY boring if you cannot get at least a throw-away line from a passing ENTP, they get their grubby little paws on everything for at least five seconds before ping-ponging elsewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity
    I'm forever forgetting about conversations I've started online, really totally forgetting, if I don't answer straight away after reading something I generally forget about it for weeks or even months, this covers PMs, wall messages, threads and even my blog. Hell I created a thread a few days ago that people responded to and I read (and found interesting) then forgot to answer...
    a-HA!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENTp

It's important to differ "interested in topic" and "interested in person". That can be a real difference. Some interesting persons I really like have some boring topics and even the people I dislike can hold interesting conversations (when it happens, sympathy is growing).

First: (Des-)Interested in topic

Well, my Fe forces me to stay polite. And I stay polite. If I want to leave a conversation, I try to find some excuse, and sometimes I say directly, that I don't like to talk about that things we are talking about.

But if I am really interested, you will see that. My whole body language tries to consume you and I ask about logical things, I don't understand. Sonmetimes I will ask you about your feelings, but this has a logical backround - I want to see, how you react and behave.

If I am neutral interested, it's just smalltalk, and sometimes I try to talk about some things of me to find a common topic.

Second: (Des-)Interested in person

It's strange. But I can be interested in you as person, but not in the topic we are talking about. Then listening is very hard. If I am interested in you as person, I try to find a way to get a interesting topic with you. You can see it, when I change the topic regularly and ask about more facile things.

And it can happen, that I am really interested in person, but find no common topic. That can make me really sad. You can see this, when I am really quiet, and see it, when my face is turning sad.

Desinterested in person? That's equal. Then it's important, how interesting the topic is.
    ** Upgrading my english **
    Corrections for my language are willingly seen

Enneagram: 7w6

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

If I keep changing the subject or start telling a story I've concluded you might not have anything interesting to say, but I'm giving you a fair chance to think of SOMETHING before wandering off.

If I answer with yes or no, I've probably decided that you're boring, but I'm being polite and not fleeing.

If I make an excuse and wander off, you probably HAVE bored me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post

You don't stick around and talk to people for long or pay their views any respect if they don't interest you, right?

If you talk in S type detail and drone on about some tiny point that has nothign much to do with anything except that is it exists....then there is NOTHING more dull....

If you talk abstract concepts ideas and streach their imagination.

A sure fire sign you are boaring them is when they start makign phone calls while you talk.

If they are doodling or similar they may be really focued on what you are saying.... they are freeing up a different part of there brain by doodling, allowing the ideas easier access into their melting pots.

Obviously if you are dull and unengaging then they may switch off and zone out on you - they may froth at the mouth of fall asleep.

To be honest I have that impact on S types... if I talk too much about intangibles, or maths or interesting stuff, they simply don't get it.... its why I don't like being too close to them.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    If you talk abstract concepts ideas and streach their imagination.
    Yes.

A sure fire sign you are boaring them is when they start makign phone calls while you talk.
    No. This is just rude behaviour, not ENTP related. It's lack-of-manners-related. I will never do this, regardless of how 'boring' the convo is. I'd rather excuse myself first.

To be honest I have that impact on S types... if I talk too much about intangibles, or maths or interesting stuff, they simply don't get it.... its why I don't like being too close to them.
    Two ISTJs I know can run circles around me in how well they understand Math. It's even MORE interesting because the way they will relate it is not ramble about obscure theory, where other Ns seem to even trip over their own feet in explaining (showing they themselves do not really understand). But, these ISTJs teach me in such an elegant and simple way, that it becomes real-life applicable. Clarity.

Dude, you have some issues with S(tereotypes)....noticing a trend of your general posts over time.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I actually think that getting more detailed would be "growing up" in a way for an N.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP

Okay. Is this the difference?

When an N says: "Ss are not interested in maths" he means "Most of the Ss are not interested in maths"
    When an S says: "Ss are not interested in maths" he means "100% of the Ss are not interested in maths"

Really. We intuitives should learn to put this "most of the" or "generally" in front of our general observations.

Especially if we're talking about maths! Maths is the field where you've got to be precise. When you say "circles have a circumference of Pi times their diameter" you actually mean "100% of the circles have a circumference of Pi times their diameter".

Oh yes. Other signs.

I'm explaining things -> I find the subject interesting, I'm trying to find things out myself. I'm using you as a sounding board while I'm trying to help you.
    I'm getting back to a previous topic -> I find previous topic interesting
    I don't react to the squabbles in-between -> I don't find those squabbles interesting.
    I'm not getting all defensive because you called me a crazy ENTP -> I'm a crazy ENTP

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I often get self conscious when I'm talking to ENTPs on the internet or real life around this. I can never tell half the time whether you're really interested in hearing what I have to say.

You don't stick around and talk to people for long or pay their views any respect if they don't interest you, right?

I dunno, it's just a bit weird for me.
    If my responses sound like this:

"Uh huh"
    "haha, yeah"
    "yeah"
    "yeah"
    "uh huh"
    "haha nice"
    "yup"

etc. Or, if I'm making smalltalk with you. I hate smalltalk, and usually only do it to make a forced conversation non-awkward. Basically, if I voluntarily extend the conversation and get into it, I'm not bored. I try and bolt out of a crappy conversation asap.

EDIT: Also, if I initiate contact with you it means I'm not expecting to be bored, which in-turn means you haven't bored me in the past.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.