User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTJ Temper

MBTI
    INTJ

Default INTJ Temper

I'm curious about the INTJs out there if you have a short fuse or not. I seem to remember some members referencing it before. I used to lose it quite easily when I was younger until one day apathy crept up on me and I just started thinking "eh...it's just not worth even getting upset about." Although, I think I've gotten significantly more stable/balanced in every regard as I've gotten older...almost uncomfortably so. I could probably count on one hand how many times I've really lost it in the past like...10 years. Input?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

Same story of my life. As a child I used to get very angry very easily (at least in front of my family members, not outside the house). I used to even be physically aggressive with my siblings. But as I've gotten older, I've become calmer, and show anger very rarely (in front of anyone). The last time I got angry in front of someone was 5 months ago, whereas I used to get angry like every 2 days or so. It's strange how much I've changed.

This makes me wonder if I was always an INTJ. Maybe my personality type changed from something else to INTJ, or I was always an INTJ and INTJs are just easily angered when they're children. Any thoughts?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would be very afraid to see you guys lose your tempers, very, very afraid.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

My INTJ brother has terrible composure. It's easy to get him to start yelling and pounding things.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Pounding, I could quasi-tolerate, but yelling?!?!

Especially from an NTJ, no thanks!!!

:/
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Does anyone remember a scene in Harry Potter 3, where creatures called Dementors arrived on the train and the lights went off, and ice started to spread across the train windows.. and the people felt awful, depressed, shaking at the encounter?
    Well, thats what INTJ temper feels like to me.
    I have a wonderful freind who is very typically INTJ,,..and only once in 5 years did I push him to have an outburst.
    He didnt raise his voice, didnt shout, rant, or throw stuff,.. but he just seemed to waft this icy blast of cold cold anger my way,..and said a few choice, psychologically damaging words,... then left. I was left feeling really sort of traumatised, shaky, cold, and very very upset and tearful that I'd been the focus of the liqiud nitrogen blast.
    I wanted to apologise for bringing him to that point, even though in the argument I was right,.. but the feeling his loss of control gave me was like the Earths axis had tilted a bit... very un nerving.
    Dont ever want to experience that again.

So, to sum up, IME.. INTJ temper is icy, controlled, focused and deadly.
    This was an older INTJ though, so he may have got past the pounding things stage.
    G. x

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm thinking about the idea that our temper has to do with loss of control, which would explain why it's more severe when we are younger and as we get older we are more adept at maintaining control, even in the most stressful situations. I think this is why we can scare people when we lose it. We are normally so calm but there's just a point where our mind has no idea what to do. It just knows that whatever it's doing isn't working, so it does the opposite. Our catastrophe mode is obvious, just like how many outgoing types will withdraw when they get that angry.

EDIT: In regards to the above post, I think it depends on what causes us to lose our temper. If it's icy, that means that I still feel like I'm in control, but I'm checking whoever pissed me off.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I was also kind of an angry, sensitive kid. Now I'm pretty hard to get really riled up, but occasionally something genuinely irks me and I'll yell about it until the other person essentially gives up and rolls over.

The rest of the time that I may appear to be angry I'm just caught up in debate or something.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I usually don't get a temper unless someone is trying to talk over my voice when they know I'm right. Or when the other person is clearly not understanding the main issue that I'm talking about and keeps changing the subject. Or when people make plans and back out at the last minute. Other than that though, I'm pretty calm.

If I'm stressed and feel like the other person isn't listening, I yell...a LOT (mostly about how they don't know what they're talking about). When I'm somewhat calm and not too worried about the argument, that's when the "cold anger" comes in. After 2-3 minutes, I just retreat to my room thinking that people just don't know what they're talking about.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My experience is backwards from yours, Meta--I think it's a gender roles thing, though. I didn't express anger until I was older, I went through a stage of expressing it after bottling it up, and quickly learned and perfected the icy Harry Potter technique mentioned above.

The exception would be when my week has been going bad AND I'm very tired or PMSsy--I'm liable to take small things quite personally, and then if the other person tells me it's no big deal I just might dissolve into tears and tell them how angry they've made me, lol. This has risen with my Fi usage, and toned down even in the last year as I've learned to deal with my feelings better for an NT.

I'm exceptionally strong at the icy thing, though. Only to be used in justified situations.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis