User Tag List

View Poll Results: IRL, what's your level of expressiveness of your problems/feelings?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • I openly express to nobody, or only if prodded by certain people.

28 45.16%
  • I openly express to a select few close friends &/or family members.

23 37.10%
  • I openly express to most of my friends &/or family.

1 1.61%
  • I openly express to anyone who might offer me some consolation.

3 4.84%
  • I am not INTP, but I want to vote.

7 11.29%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Crap.

I voted before I read the OP, and now I need to provide an explanation upon pain of being rude.

I voted with the OP for the same reasons. I'll add that I' don't think anyone outside my small circle of close friends/family wants to hear how I feel. Most of the time, I don't think my close family and friends want to hear how I feel, and so I'll only open up to them if I absolutely, 100% have to vent or else explode.

Maybe I'm just projecting on others, but I think feelings are a largely irrelevant epiphenomena of rationality, and they ought to be accorded as much attention in thought and discussion as their relevance permits and no more.

Please, if you can't show how your feelings bear on the subject at hand, (e.g. if you don't discuss them you'll explode, thus negating your ability to address the topic--or any topic--at hand), then don't share them with me, and I'll not share mine with you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    ENTP's (and other NT's) seem to want to talk about "science" type stuff more than "feelings".

I'm not a scientist, and I'd rather talk about art than science. But yeah, I'm bad at talking about feelings. It's not that I don't want to. I'm just not good at it. I try to express my feelings with actions.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I dont mind talking about my feelings, especially if it helps me or others. But I tend to keep them to myself when amongst people I dont know well, there have been too many times I've been open to others only to have them use what they have found out agaisnt me.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    INTP

I prefer not to share emotions with others. If I'm having a bad time I'll disappear if at all possible until it's over.
    Unfortunately I have a hard time keeping in touch with my inner state until it's all too late. Like the emotion dial reads 1 or 10, nothing in between.
    That has led to some horribly embarrassing episodes of public crying that I'd rather not remember.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

On a scale of 1 to 10 on openness, I'm probably at 2.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP

I think part of why I don't talk about or share emotions is that I feel that they are largely irrelevant in most contexts. I see people sharing emotions sometimes in ways that I know are strictly manipulative, to get attention or sympathy or even tangible things. I see people sharing emotions to get things to go their way, when it would be better for the group at large to consider everyone, rather than one person's personal feelings on the subject or sad circumstances. I guess in a lot of cases, I don't see why anyone should care about what I happen to be feeling at the time.
    Something Witty

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think one thing here is that I "objectify" my emotions before I reveal them. In other words, while the listeners might still just see them as emotional states attached to my identify (and thus private things that should be uncomfortable to express publicly), what I typically have done is taken them in my head, packaged them up almost as individual entities on their own apart from my own sense of self, and put them out there for review...

I think few people really ever get to see my emotions raw, as they come out. First of all, I just generally am not ever swept away by emotions in the external world; my internal landscape might become tortured and shattered, but externally you will usually see stability unless I trust someone enough personally to bring it up. I almost never lash out in anger, and so the deepest emotions someone might see is tears. Only a few people (the ones I love and trust the most) have ever seen me on an uncontrollable crying jag; I'd rather be alone if I'm that far gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Very few people get to see my raw emotions. And those are generally positive emotions. When I'm feeling something negative, I tend to keep it bottled up until I feel that I've sufficiently analysed it and understood it enough and that it's something worthy of being brought up, especially when it's something related to the other person.
    Wow. I really indentify with this. Maybe this is a enneagram 5 user thing or something (BTW how many of you are?). I know I hate how my raw emotions struggle to free themselves from my control. I guess the controlled slow release of emotions is the way 5s struggle to overcome this.

Very interesting to read all your comments.

MBTI
    SEXY

I just yesterday told a friend of mine I was seriously jealous of somebody. I felt relieved and better able to cope with it after talking about it. But I wouldn't normally do this.
    (removed)

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's not that I have problems opening up to people.

It's that I don't know how to define feelings into proper words. It requires seriously deep thought and consideration in order to say it in the right words, covering all the angles.

It can be a pretty long and ardious task, so I tend not to bother unless I have a reason for it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It's not that I have problems opening up to people.

It's that I don't know how to define feelings into proper words. It requires seriously deep thought and consideration in order to say it in the right words, covering all the angles.

It can be a pretty long and ardious task, so I tend not to bother unless I have a reason for it.
    I agree with these. People seem to expect that I can describe emotions in just a few words. Yet the only stuff I can describe so simply are either just me repeating the words/slightly altering them or things I've spent hours thinking about from all angles. Current emotions are something that I can neither get outside input on nor have hours to choose the correct wording.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil