• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT family mentors

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Fellow NT's,

I'm curious if you have had a parent or grandparent that was kind of a mentor in terms of your maturation as an NT. My grandfather and my father were both INTJ's. My father and I had a very unique bond, but I wasn't nearly as close to my grandfather. But, I look back at times when I was a teenager and had no clue about MBTI and I remember how truly awesome my conversations were with my grandfather. We could talk for hours about this, that, and the other, completely oblivious to what the rest of the family was doing in the other room. We were from 2 different eras - he was old-school and I was a punk teenager who didn't give a flip, but man the conversation sure flowed nicely between us.

I guess if nothing else I'm just having a moment of remembering how cool he really was. Of course the rest of the fam is just as much family as him, but he has a really special place because of that sometimes unexplainable NT connection. Stories? Love to hear them.

/NF moment

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My story is I have no story.

I had no NTs in my family.
In fact, there is only one N I know of (ENFP)-- a distant cousin, she's my best friend in the family because we "get" each other.

It was hard growing up because I didn't know for sure if I was the abnormal one / "darkchilde" or if I was okay, and I never had anyone to guide me. Everything I learned, I learned through reading; authors and scientists were my "guides."

...I'd be interested in hearing other people's stories, though, if any are out there.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Not sure if I had any NT relatives, although my paternal grandfather may be INTP, as may be my father, although I highly doubt it being so in the latter case.

However, I do recall going through a phase of thinking "Is there anyone that can answer why and not feel uncomfortable?"

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Dad - INTP
Mom - ENTP

I had a very NTP-friendly atmosphere. Pretty permissive. All my "why" questions were answered in depth, mostly from my dad, and they never got annoyed with them, and no point-of-view was ever pushed on me. My dad was like my personal encyclopedia and trivia knowledge database, so we connected a lot on that level, it was kinda like having the internet before the internet came out.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dad - INTP
Mom - ENTP

I had a very NTP-friendly atmosphere. Pretty permissive. All my "why" questions were answered in depth, mostly from my dad, and they never got annoyed with them, and no point-of-view was ever pushed on me. My dad was like my personal encyclopedia and trivia knowledge database, so we connected a lot on that level, it was kinda like having the internet before the internet came out.

Nice!! That must have been a very interesting household to be raised in. Was it peaceful or was there fighting? I was raised primarily by 2 SJ's (didn't see INTJ father that much), and there was always head-butting and commotion.

To go further, what did the INTP male/ENTP female dynamic look like? I've wondered if that would work. My ENTP aunt is a hoot and has my utmost respect, but she drives me nuts with "all the ways that she's just like me". It's OK if I'm lazy, but it drives me up a wall in her.

EDIT: Was your communication with your dad the typical INTP-INTP "Ne gone wild"/talk for hours and make each other laugh till hurts, or was it different cuz you lived with him and he was your dad?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Nice!! That must have been a very interesting household to be raised in. Was it peaceful or was there fighting? I was raised primarily by 2 SJ's (didn't see INTJ father that much), and there was always head-butting and commotion.

No fighting. The only thing that broke the peace was the chaotic P environment. Rushing at the last minute, disorganized. But generally peaceful, my parents never seem to argue for more than 5 minutes at a time.

To go further, what did the INTP male/ENTP female dynamic look like? I've wondered if that would work. My ENTP aunt is a hoot and has my utmost respect, but she drives me nuts with "all the ways that she's just like me". It's OK if I'm lazy, but it drives me up a wall in her.

Lots of Ne back-and-forths, mostly argumentative in nature, but not angry.

EDIT: Was your communication with your dad the typical INTP-INTP "Ne gone wild"/talk for hours and make each other laugh till hurts, or was it different cuz you lived with him and he was your dad?

It was more "Ti gone wild" with moments of Ne to ease things up. I think the dad aspect made it different than INTP-INTP peer friendships.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well I don't know any NTs in my familly tbh though my extended familly isn't very close.
My mum is an unhealthy ESFJ the now (although my dad hinted it wasn't always so) and my dad welll I thought he was an ESTJ but I'm not so sure anymore.

Only intellectual person in my familly was my grandad who comes across as an ESTJ. Very prejudiced guy and always quite jealious of his older richer and happier sister (who is definatly an N maybe an ENTP!). But underneath the unhealthy obsession with money and the superiority complex that came from being a consultant surgeon, he is a rather brilliant biomedical scientist who always encouraged my intellectualism (especialy down routes that got lots of money!) I don't know his actual type though. Its an interesting relationship especially as he will always engage me but always in a way that makes superior!

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My father is an ISTJ. Im not sure what my mother was, maybe INxx. I had little contact with my relatives so I have no idea of their types.

My two sisters and I are all NTs, weird eh?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't have any specific family member like this but many of my close relatives are NT. Both parents, both grandfathers, 2 of my uncles, 2 of my aunts, and a cousin. Then I have another cousin who is xxxx and could probably keep up long conversations with anyone.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I come from a dominant N family (big family 11 of us + parents).

Both my parents were NTs, mum ENTP dad INTJ.... 5 N syblings (I think), a mix of T's and F's within that. So lots of NT's around.

Actually it was a debating family, lots of discussions on lots of different subject with various opinions released. I'm putting my ENTP-ness on my mum and by havign constant stimulus as a kid.

Most of my friends however were S types.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
My granddad was probably an NT. He taught me about atoms and stuff! It's kind of cool knowing rather advanced chemistry and physics when you're still in primary school and it did spark my interest in science and philosophy. I only saw him about twice a year though, so I don't consider him to be a 'mentor' in my life, just an influence. He past away a little over a year ago.

I think my uncle is an NT as well, a chemist in profession and an amateur astronomer. He gave some quite interesting lectures on how elements heavier than Helium were formed in stars and came to earth. But he lives even further away and I saw him even less then my granddad in my youth.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wish I had an NT mentor. My parents are both Ss and that was pretty much my only family around growing up.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My NT father was the furthest thing from being a mentor.

The only thing he possibly did to "mentor" me was force/facilitate me to be more rational, to the extent that he found, discredited and crushed all the idealistic and "irrational" tendencies of mine *almost* out of me.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Loved my family.

INTJ dad and I could nerd out about shit together. These days we love talking money together.

Hated my peer group for the most part. Growing up ENTJ isn't easy.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
My NT father was the furthest thing from being a mentor.

The only thing he possibly did to "mentor" me was force/facilitate me to be more rational, to the extent that he found, discredited and crushed all the idealistic and "irrational" tendencies of mine *almost* out of me.

I had the opposite problem, I think. My father is off and on rational/irrational (I'm thinking maybe ISTP) so I never knew what to expect, probably causing me to be a more cautious, secretive, contingency planner than I would have been otherwise.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Loved my family.

INTJ dad and I could nerd out about shit together. These days we love talking money together.

Hated my peer group for the most part. Growing up ENTJ isn't easy.
Pooooooor you!!! :rolleyes:

I had the opposite problem, I think. My father is off and on rational/irrational (I'm thinking maybe ISTP) so I never knew what to expect, probably causing me to be a more cautious, secretive, contingency planner than I would have been otherwise.
I think you came out pretty damn great, so...

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Fellow NT's,

I'm curious if you have had a parent or grandparent that was kind of a mentor in terms of your maturation as an NT. My grandfather and my father were both INTJ's. My father and I had a very unique bond, but I wasn't nearly as close to my grandfather. But, I look back at times when I was a teenager and had no clue about MBTI and I remember how truly awesome my conversations were with my grandfather. We could talk for hours about this, that, and the other, completely oblivious to what the rest of the family was doing in the other room. We were from 2 different eras - he was old-school and I was a punk teenager who didn't give a flip, but man the conversation sure flowed nicely between us.

I guess if nothing else I'm just having a moment of remembering how cool he really was. Of course the rest of the fam is just as much family as him, but he has a really special place because of that sometimes unexplainable NT connection. Stories? Love to hear them.

/NF moment

Aw, that's sweet :)

My dad is probably the closest thing I ever had to that. He's also INTJ. Growing up we had kind of a cool dynamic in that he knows a little bit about a lot of things and I always wanted to learn just about anything, so he would teach me about history, guns, sewing, what have you. Even now that I'm older I always take a passive stance in conversations and think of him as a mentor, because if I don't we get along like an immovable object and an unstoppable force :p