User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default NT family mentors

Fellow NT's,

I'm curious if you have had a parent or grandparent that was kind of a mentor in terms of your maturation as an NT. My grandfather and my father were both INTJ's. My father and I had a very unique bond, but I wasn't nearly as close to my grandfather. But, I look back at times when I was a teenager and had no clue about MBTI and I remember how truly awesome my conversations were with my grandfather. We could talk for hours about this, that, and the other, completely oblivious to what the rest of the family was doing in the other room. We were from 2 different eras - he was old-school and I was a punk teenager who didn't give a flip, but man the conversation sure flowed nicely between us.

I guess if nothing else I'm just having a moment of remembering how cool he really was. Of course the rest of the fam is just as much family as him, but he has a really special place because of that sometimes unexplainable NT connection. Stories? Love to hear them.

/NF moment

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My story is I have no story.

I had no NTs in my family.
    In fact, there is only one N I know of (ENFP)-- a distant cousin, she's my best friend in the family because we "get" each other.

It was hard growing up because I didn't know for sure if I was the abnormal one / "darkchilde" or if I was okay, and I never had anyone to guide me. Everything I learned, I learned through reading; authors and scientists were my "guides."

...I'd be interested in hearing other people's stories, though, if any are out there.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xxxx

Not sure if I had any NT relatives, although my paternal grandfather may be INTP, as may be my father, although I highly doubt it being so in the latter case.

However, I do recall going through a phase of thinking "Is there anyone that can answer why and not feel uncomfortable?"
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Dad - INTP
    Mom - ENTP

I had a very NTP-friendly atmosphere. Pretty permissive. All my "why" questions were answered in depth, mostly from my dad, and they never got annoyed with them, and no point-of-view was ever pushed on me. My dad was like my personal encyclopedia and trivia knowledge database, so we connected a lot on that level, it was kinda like having the internet before the internet came out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Dad - INTP
    Mom - ENTP

I had a very NTP-friendly atmosphere. Pretty permissive. All my "why" questions were answered in depth, mostly from my dad, and they never got annoyed with them, and no point-of-view was ever pushed on me. My dad was like my personal encyclopedia and trivia knowledge database, so we connected a lot on that level, it was kinda like having the internet before the internet came out.
    Nice!! That must have been a very interesting household to be raised in. Was it peaceful or was there fighting? I was raised primarily by 2 SJ's (didn't see INTJ father that much), and there was always head-butting and commotion.

To go further, what did the INTP male/ENTP female dynamic look like? I've wondered if that would work. My ENTP aunt is a hoot and has my utmost respect, but she drives me nuts with "all the ways that she's just like me". It's OK if I'm lazy, but it drives me up a wall in her.

EDIT: Was your communication with your dad the typical INTP-INTP "Ne gone wild"/talk for hours and make each other laugh till hurts, or was it different cuz you lived with him and he was your dad?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Nice!! That must have been a very interesting household to be raised in. Was it peaceful or was there fighting? I was raised primarily by 2 SJ's (didn't see INTJ father that much), and there was always head-butting and commotion.
    No fighting. The only thing that broke the peace was the chaotic P environment. Rushing at the last minute, disorganized. But generally peaceful, my parents never seem to argue for more than 5 minutes at a time.

To go further, what did the INTP male/ENTP female dynamic look like? I've wondered if that would work. My ENTP aunt is a hoot and has my utmost respect, but she drives me nuts with "all the ways that she's just like me". It's OK if I'm lazy, but it drives me up a wall in her.
    Lots of Ne back-and-forths, mostly argumentative in nature, but not angry.

EDIT: Was your communication with your dad the typical INTP-INTP "Ne gone wild"/talk for hours and make each other laugh till hurts, or was it different cuz you lived with him and he was your dad?
    It was more "Ti gone wild" with moments of Ne to ease things up. I think the dad aspect made it different than INTP-INTP peer friendships.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Well I don't know any NTs in my familly tbh though my extended familly isn't very close.
    My mum is an unhealthy ESFJ the now (although my dad hinted it wasn't always so) and my dad welll I thought he was an ESTJ but I'm not so sure anymore.

Only intellectual person in my familly was my grandad who comes across as an ESTJ. Very prejudiced guy and always quite jealious of his older richer and happier sister (who is definatly an N maybe an ENTP!). But underneath the unhealthy obsession with money and the superiority complex that came from being a consultant surgeon, he is a rather brilliant biomedical scientist who always encouraged my intellectualism (especialy down routes that got lots of money!) I don't know his actual type though. Its an interesting relationship especially as he will always engage me but always in a way that makes superior!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My father is an ISTJ. Im not sure what my mother was, maybe INxx. I had little contact with my relatives so I have no idea of their types.

My two sisters and I are all NTs, weird eh?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't have any specific family member like this but many of my close relatives are NT. Both parents, both grandfathers, 2 of my uncles, 2 of my aunts, and a cousin. Then I have another cousin who is xxxx and could probably keep up long conversations with anyone.

MBTI
    ENTP

I come from a dominant N family (big family 11 of us + parents).

Both my parents were NTs, mum ENTP dad INTJ.... 5 N syblings (I think), a mix of T's and F's within that. So lots of NT's around.

Actually it was a debating family, lots of discussions on lots of different subject with various opinions released. I'm putting my ENTP-ness on my mum and by havign constant stimulus as a kid.

Most of my friends however were S types.