User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    SEXY

My granddad was probably an NT. He taught me about atoms and stuff! It's kind of cool knowing rather advanced chemistry and physics when you're still in primary school and it did spark my interest in science and philosophy. I only saw him about twice a year though, so I don't consider him to be a 'mentor' in my life, just an influence. He past away a little over a year ago.

I think my uncle is an NT as well, a chemist in profession and an amateur astronomer. He gave some quite interesting lectures on how elements heavier than Helium were formed in stars and came to earth. But he lives even further away and I saw him even less then my granddad in my youth.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTJ

I wish I had an NT mentor. My parents are both Ss and that was pretty much my only family around growing up.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My NT father was the furthest thing from being a mentor.

The only thing he possibly did to "mentor" me was force/facilitate me to be more rational, to the extent that he found, discredited and crushed all the idealistic and "irrational" tendencies of mine *almost* out of me.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Loved my family.

INTJ dad and I could nerd out about shit together. These days we love talking money together.

Hated my peer group for the most part. Growing up ENTJ isn't easy.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    My NT father was the furthest thing from being a mentor.

The only thing he possibly did to "mentor" me was force/facilitate me to be more rational, to the extent that he found, discredited and crushed all the idealistic and "irrational" tendencies of mine *almost* out of me.
    I had the opposite problem, I think. My father is off and on rational/irrational (I'm thinking maybe ISTP) so I never knew what to expect, probably causing me to be a more cautious, secretive, contingency planner than I would have been otherwise.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Loved my family.

INTJ dad and I could nerd out about shit together. These days we love talking money together.

Hated my peer group for the most part. Growing up ENTJ isn't easy.
    Pooooooor you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I had the opposite problem, I think. My father is off and on rational/irrational (I'm thinking maybe ISTP) so I never knew what to expect, probably causing me to be a more cautious, secretive, contingency planner than I would have been otherwise.
    I think you came out pretty damn great, so...
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Fellow NT's,

I'm curious if you have had a parent or grandparent that was kind of a mentor in terms of your maturation as an NT. My grandfather and my father were both INTJ's. My father and I had a very unique bond, but I wasn't nearly as close to my grandfather. But, I look back at times when I was a teenager and had no clue about MBTI and I remember how truly awesome my conversations were with my grandfather. We could talk for hours about this, that, and the other, completely oblivious to what the rest of the family was doing in the other room. We were from 2 different eras - he was old-school and I was a punk teenager who didn't give a flip, but man the conversation sure flowed nicely between us.

I guess if nothing else I'm just having a moment of remembering how cool he really was. Of course the rest of the fam is just as much family as him, but he has a really special place because of that sometimes unexplainable NT connection. Stories? Love to hear them.

/NF moment
    Aw, that's sweet

My dad is probably the closest thing I ever had to that. He's also INTJ. Growing up we had kind of a cool dynamic in that he knows a little bit about a lot of things and I always wanted to learn just about anything, so he would teach me about history, guns, sewing, what have you. Even now that I'm older I always take a passive stance in conversations and think of him as a mentor, because if I don't we get along like an immovable object and an unstoppable force :P
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"