• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] The ENTP advice thread

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
O wise and great ENTPs,

How doth I become verbally quick?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You have to procrastinate your procastination.
By doing so you for one fulfill your need to procrastinate and second get the task done that you want to do.
Works for me. Sometimes.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can I get an ENTP to change themselves? They annoy me.

Put them in an elevator with a highly religious, mentally unstable ISFJ for 4 hours.

Qre:us

Put them in an elevator with a highly religious, mentally unstable ISFJ for 4 hours.

Isn't that like putting two healthy ENTPs together? Are you sure this will work?

It might lead to bunny magic and then spawns and spawns of little ENTPs. This would not be a good thing.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP

Is the elevator a relativistic one? Or the one of our university, which halts if you put your foot somewhere and starts to move if you withdraw it, making everybody panic with exception of the ENTP who has found out about this glitch the first time in the elevator?

Pray for the ISFJ. If he doesn't come out dead, he will come out converted. Hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

If it's a perfectly normal elevator, however... the chances are more even.

Do pray for the ISFJ, though.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I imagine the elevator + ENTP/ISFJ thing is how Tom Cruise got someone to carry out his baby :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd like to answer on Matthew's question in green: "If a deaf INFP falls into the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Yes. A sound is a wave consisting of moving air molecules. Doesn't matter if there is someone able to measure it or not.
Reality lasts even if nobody believes in it.

Other questions?

PS. It would be nice to make this into a thread similar to 'ask an ESTJ'. However, as I'm not an ESTJ, I'll probably not as consistent and reliable. However, if all ENTPs on this forum help out, I'm quite confident the mean of our answers would be quite reliable.
Let's strive to ESTJ standards! (and fail, of course, but that doesn't make the intention worthless)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You have to remember that all consistent and reliable answers are relative aswell

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Stop thinking about it so much.

By that, I mean don't worry about the logical consistency of what you're actually talking about, just the logical consistency of the next thing you say with the one you just previously said. It all eventually connects, anyway.

You have to procrastinate your procastination.
By doing so you for one fulfill your need to procrastinate and second get the task done that you want to do.
Works for me. Sometimes.

Only way I ever get errands done.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Procrastination can get ugly.

I took on the motto: sieze the moment; satisfy the future.

I think of this whenever I'd rather think up a new name for a granola bar than study for a test or read daily assignments. I also apply it to my principles in a way.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
How do you transform dreams and vague plans into real aims?

And how do you get yourself on the way reaching 'em?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't do this alone.
I have around 95% P and need someone J'ish to funnel my ideas and create a goal out of it.
If the road to go there seems to be fun and exciting chances that I finish are at least 60%.
If I really dive into it chances of completion are 100% and it might be possibly achieved in half the time that was planned for.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP

Depends.
I have two sorts of interests.
1) The recurring ones. If you make a graph out of them, they look like a sinusoid.
2) The short-lived passions. A graph of them would look like a sharp gaussian.

If I get a crazy idea that takes a LOT of work, I bounce it around in my head for a while before I try to realize it. I would make some sketches or preparations, but nothing too time-consuming.
After a while, I can tell which category of interest the crazy idea belongs to.
If it's in a recurring interest, I start right away.

If the crazy idea connects with a short-lived passion, I either abandon it or I chip it down to a plan which is feasible in a short amount of time.

This doesn't work always, but it does help! Let me give some examples.

1) Writing. I've written a novel. I'm writing a second one. I've been working on it, on-and-off, for two years now. Both "writing" and the story are recurring.

2) The Christmas present I made for my husband. My first idea would take a very long time and I knew right away I'd lose interest in it. I let it mull around in my head for a while, not consciously thinking about it, and after a while it has spawn 1000 new ideas. One of them met my requirements: easy enough to make, not too much work, husband will probably appreciate it,... I've made the present in under two hours.

3) The Halloween comic I've posted on this forum. I know my MBTI interest will not last. I was NOT going to draw it, because I didn't want to commit my time to something I would probably lose interest in. But then people asked me to draw. I've got positive reactions. That helps, too.

I guess in function language it would read something like this.
Let Ne run wild but don't listen - just get on with your boring day-to-day work to keep your environment happy.
Let Ti select the feasible ideas.
This works well, until Fe shows up. If Fe gets triggered by compliments it will side with Ne and no amount of reason will stop them!

yenom

Alexander the Terrible

What dreams do you have?

draw a goal map and a problems map. A goal map is like a mind map where you list all the goals you want to reach. Write down the ten biggest obstacles that is stoping you from reaching them and write down what you can do to conquer them.

Tell yourself to do something everyday that can help you reach that goal, and just do it.