• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The Best Bullshit Detector

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
If either of your attempted jokes were funny, I may have been OK. But in retrospect I see that I wasted my time reading both of your posts only to not even laugh. What a letdown, dude.

:huh:

bLAze

A lack of feelings can also come off as insincere can't it?

Didn't take that into consideration, actually. When I have to open up to somebody, I can come off as insincere even if I am sincere.

Good eye.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
There are different kinds of bullshit detectors. I'm not particularly tuned into a person's emotions, but I'm the most tuned into whether a person's words matches their actions, and also if their behavior seems consistent. That is how my bullshit detector works.

On the other hand my INFJ wife is extremely tuned into a person's emotions, so she can sense when a person is up to something or acting shifty even if she doesn't know exactly why. She tends to trust people who give off a trustworthy vibe, while I trust people when they act consistently. So our bullshit detectors tend to go off in different kinds of situations.
I agree.

For me, I can very easily detect bullshit. I can see through people fairly easily, and I can also read between the lines. It's not like me to call someone on their bullshit though. I'd prefer to find out why they're bullshitting at all, so I let it persist and start digging for answers.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
If either of your attempted jokes were funny, I may have been OK. But in retrospect I see that I wasted my time reading both of your posts only to not even laugh. What a letdown, dude.

Actually, it wasn't meant to be funny. This is a thread for who's the best bullshit detectors, and you're full of it.

Just don't be stereotypical, and I'm fine with you.

bLAze

I agree.

For me, I can very easily detect bullshit. I can see through people fairly easily, and I can also read between the lines. It's not like me to call someone on their bullshit though. I'd prefer to find out why they're bullshitting at all, so I let it persist and start digging for answers.

Don't you think that J's are better bullshit detectors though because we connect the dots? I'm not sure what it's like to be a P so I could be wrong.

Usehername

On a mission
There are different kinds of bullshit detectors. I'm not particularly tuned into a person's emotions, but I'm the most tuned into whether a person's words matches their actions, and also if their behavior seems consistent. That is how my bullshit detector works.

On the other hand my INFJ wife is extremely tuned into a person's emotions, so she can sense when a person is up to something or acting shifty even if she doesn't know exactly why. She tends to trust people who give off a trustworthy vibe, while I trust people when they act consistently. So our bullshit detectors tend to go off in different kinds of situations.

I only view the latter as the bullshit factor skill--the former, sure, NTs do it easily, myself included, but anyone could do this if they focused their attention on it.

Whereas the NF skill... it has an unlearnable factor.

YoungGun2112

MBTI Type
ENTP

Yeah, and they detect it in completely different ways too.

As an ENTP, for me to figure out if someone is full of bullshit or not, I have to converse with them. If I can hear from them what they think, and why they think it, I can quickly piece together their logic in a way that allows me to know if they are full of bullshit or not.

I would assume that an ENTJ does it by how a person carries themselves, or his/her actions.

An NFJ can probably tell if a person is full of it by watching their facial expressions from across the room.

bLAze

Actually, it wasn't meant to be funny. This is a thread for who's the best bullshit detectors, and you're full of it.

Just don't be stereotypical, and I'm fine with you.

I apologize for whatever I may have done. Not worth the conflict.
I tend to get super pissed over forum arguments :)

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
To YoungGun: Yup.

I love those who are full of it and openly admit it. Like a bunch of my ENTP friends.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Don't you think that J's are better bullshit detectors though because we connect the dots? I'm not sure what it's like to be a P so I could be wrong.
NP connects dots as well. In fact, for an ENFP at least, connecting dots is kinda what we do. But I think we're less likely to call people on their errors, their untruths, and their mask in the way a J would. I don't think the typical NFP is nearly as direct with calling people out. Our agenda isn't so much about being "right" about someone, as much as it is "to know" them.

YoungGun2112

MBTI Type
ENTP
NP connects dots as well. In fact, for an ENFP at least, connecting dots is kinda what we do. But I think we're less likely to call people on their errors, their untruths, and their mask in the way a J would. I don't think the typical NFP is nearly as direct with calling people out. Our agenda isn't so much about being "right" about someone, as much as it is "to know" them.

As an ENTP if I know people are full of it, I rarely call them out, unless it is effecting me in a negative manner. Otherwise, I don't care. Most of the time I find it funny.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Which NT type has the best bullshit detector?

By bullshit, I mean any type of deceit. Be it lying, being fake, telling half-truths, leading people on, pretending to be something or someone you are not, secret motives, whatever. Just has to be a form of deceit.

I am thinking ENTJ.

Te seems to be the function that would be most constantly vetting the things going on around the ENTJ, checking facts, going over things in their thoughts. I think ENTP, with Ne, would be extremely strong as well, but they might too often take things people tell them at face value because they so often have a rationale for why something can be the way it was said to be. INTP and INTJ don't see outwardly focused enough to vet people for bullshit. I feel like they would go, "Oh, okay," and then go back to their thoughts.

But all NT types, are probably MUCH stronger at detecting bullshit than other MBTI types.

I think it could be ENTP. Takes one to know one, after all. Also, ENTJ's are often bullshitting. They often have a plan for how they will line everyone up and they keep it to themselves.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think it could be ENTP. Takes one to know one, after all. Also, ENTJ's are often bullshitting. They often have a plan for how they will line everyone up and they keep it to themselves.

Do you have anything more you would like to say?:huh:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
As an ENTP if I know people are full of it, I rarely call them out, unless it is effecting me in a negative manner. Otherwise, I don't care. Most of the time I find it funny.
So in that way, few people would ever really know if you were a good bullshit detector or not. You don't let on.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm just curious. Could you give an example?

My uncle is some big shit in the military. Like you see him on CNN occasionally. I respect his abilities a lot and he is truly impressive, but I have no illusions either. His way of directing and working people is so transparent to me yet everyone else seems to fall in line and really take what he says hook, line and sinker, seemingly without thought. He's a master leader, but I still see a lot of naked ambition and detect the workings of his own program. He is ENTJ. We have an understanding that is unspoken. He purposefully tells me nice things and I pretend to appreciate it, but we both know it's part of his winning hearts and minds program. The same thing he does with everyone he comes into contact with. It works, though.

YoungGun2112

MBTI Type
ENTP

I think it would be interesting to figure out what effect Ne would have on finding out if people are lying or not, if any. I don't know enough about the functions to properly explain. But does anyone want to give it a try?