User Tag List

123 Last

A592

Post Types more likely to research their type?

Ever since discovering that I'm an INTJ, I've been researching it a lot and been involved in the different forums.
    My friends also did the test, but they seem uninterested in learning about themselves further.
    Are some types more likely to research their type and discover more about it?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't know the answer to that, but I have noticed that (in my experience at least) F types can be more resistant to personality typing systems because they value the unique in themselves and other people. They don't like to feel that they can be "pegged". It's true you can't put an individual in a category and any theoretical system will have its limits. Some people just prefer a more hands-on and direct approach to learning about people and things.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd say it was a broader issue than this... I used to be a member of the Astrological Lodge of London - astrology like MBTI is a tool to help you understand yourself and the world around you...

N types were rife within the organisation and also on this board.

I personally beleive that N types look at things quiet different and have a wider intellectual spere that they need to explore (opinion not nessesarily fact), hence the reasons N's are trying harder to understand the world around them and themselves. N types mature later because of this because they need to grow into their brains and make choices about how they apply this wider more expansive perspectives...

Lis

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I don't know the answer to that, but I have noticed that (in my experience at least) F types can be more resistant to personality typing systems because they value the unique in themselves and other people. They don't like to feel that they can be "pegged". It's true you can't put an individual in a category and any theoretical system will have its limits. Some people just prefer a more hands-on and direct approach to learning about people and things.
    Lol .. I was looking for answers as i would like to be pegged and because i can't, i got so frustrated with this .. Now i don't bother putting to much emphesis on it. There are some nice people here, i just concentrate on that.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Just look on this forum, it's about 80% INXXs.

Taking a step back and trying to understand your personality is kind of an N activity. You're not "living in the moment" when you're reflecting about personality and psychology in general.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Just look on this forum, it's about 80% INXXs.

Taking a step back and trying to understand your personality is kind of an N activity. You're not "living in the moment" when you're reflecting about personality and psychology in general.
    Yep. I've seen the same kind of thing on other message boards. You can also see this trend if you have a look at message boards devoted to one personality type. Over the years, I've heard of plenty of INxx ones, a few ENxx boards, the odd ISxx one, and never a single ESxx message board.

The field of psychology in general tends to attract Ns quite a bit more than Ss. Posting on an online board is generally more attractive to Is than Es. Put the two together and you get an INxx majority on boards like this, even though IN types are least common in the general population. (Difficulties fitting in with others might also encourage more INxx people to explore why, and wind up looking at MBTI as an explanation).

Of course all this is very general, we do have at least a few people of every type here.

MBTI
    INFP

I've mostly seen a toss up. With some people you just can't get them interested, others take it seriously like me. I've seen some of what Gerbah was talking about. Others just plain don't care it seems (even in the face of having been described impeccably), and this apparently includes NTs for some baffling reason. I thought NTs loved understanding the world around them, and especially systems. Perhaps I just didn't give them enough of a sample to get their mental tastebuds watering so that they'd seek out their own research. Dunno.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If the general public realized the general utility of understanding MBTI.

All types would be represented here in equal measure.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Yep. I've seen the same kind of thing on other message boards. You can also see this trend if you have a look at message boards devoted to one personality type. Over the years, I've heard of plenty of INxx ones, a few ENxx boards, the odd ISxx one, and never a single ESxx message board.

The field of psychology in general tends to attract Ns quite a bit more than Ss. Posting on an online board is generally more attractive to Is than Es. Put the two together and you get an INxx majority on boards like this, even though IN types are least common in the general population. (Difficulties fitting in with others might also encourage more INxx people to explore why, and wind up looking at MBTI as an explanation).

Of course all this is very general, we do have at least a few people of every type here.
    Excellent observations here. Dead on, I think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If the general public realized the general utility of understanding MBTI.

All types would be represented here in equal measure.
    The general public either has no idea or poo-poos it like horoscopes and fortune cookies.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.