• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's - Relationships and Acceptance

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP
Greetings NT-Rationals, and Typology users in general. Its safe to say I'm very new here, so to help get myself acquainted with the usual's...I decided to bring up an issue for my personal sake, and for premium discussion.

The Issue being: My (or an) inability to accept potential significant others (or even very close friends) because of the way I think and perceive other people.

Explanation: Being in my second year of college and being more so extroverted, I get my charge from talking to others/living the social scene. Often times a very suitable woman will enter my life, and the odd time this relationship might grow to something more intimate. Yet time and time again, my intuitive thinking always notices the flaws and potential pitfalls the relationship could experience if progressed any further. Being the type that doesn't act on instinct, I'm also hesitant to express anything positive I may feel about her. Sooner or later she thinks I'm not interested and the opportunity is a mile behind me.

So ENTP's or other NT's in general. How can I break past analytical bullshit when it comes to relationships, and learn how to express myself when needed. Does anyone else experience this issue?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Answer is simple: You need a person who has the same emotional intelligence like you have.
Never stop getting to know new people and you will find one.

Captain out

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Greetings NT-Rationals, and Typology users in general. Its safe to say I'm very new here, so to help get myself acquainted with the usual's...I decided to bring up an issue for my personal sake, and for premium discussion.

The Issue being: My (or an) inability to accept potential significant others (or even very close friends) because of the way I think and perceive other people.

Explanation: Being in my second year of college and being more so extroverted, I get my charge from talking to others/living the social scene. Often times a very suitable woman will enter my life, and the odd time this relationship might grow to something more intimate. Yet time and time again, my intuitive thinking always notices the flaws and potential pitfalls the relationship could experience if progressed any further. Being the type that doesn't act on instinct, I'm also hesitant to express anything positive I may feel about her. Sooner or later she thinks I'm not interested and the opportunity is a mile behind me.

So ENTP's or other NT's in general. How can I break past analytical bullshit when it comes to relationships, and learn how to express myself when needed. Does anyone else experience this issue?

1. Communicate via writing
2. Get some friends who can act as your auxiliaries and can translate your special qualities to other people on your behalf.
3. Just stop over analyzing and jump in the pool.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yet time and time again, my intuitive thinking always notices the flaws and potential pitfalls the relationship could experience if progressed any further.

Could you speficy that a bit? It's obvious that you notice some sort of conflict, but without knowing where this conflict is for you, it's a bit hard to come up with a reply that might help you.

Being the type that doesn't act on instinct, I'm also hesitant to express anything positive I may feel about her.

Ha! Instrinct isn't meant to be conscious, it's instinct. In that case the instinct not to do something. Again, some explanation would he helpful. Why exactly do you think you don't tell her?

At first glance, it seems to be some sort of P issue: Fear of closure and restriction. Being the sociable person you are probably makes it even the more difficult for you - having that many options probably makes you question the decisions you've made even more.

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks for the immediate responses :D

flaws and potential pitfalls the relationship could experience

This refers to predictions of her traits/my traits/ or a combination of those interfering. For example: The latest girl I have been involved with is extremely smart and playful which are major qualities I look for, yet unfortunately she has a major self confidence issue and rarely can stand up for herself. So what I would imagine is ruthless guilt trips, the inability to be honest to me, situations in which I would have to risk my neck to save her time and time again.

Why exactly do you think you don't tell her?
I usually don't tell her in fear of it not turning out the way I imagined - my intuitive nature really takes hold here, and unless I made the most competent actions leading up that point, Its hard to face the possible outcome. Another reason is a lot of the times I'm not sure if my feelings are 100% genuine, and I don't want her to get confused and make irrational assumptions/actions (this relates to my over analyzing). Like Synarch said, I should probably quit this habit soon and jump in the pool.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I experienced the same. I met very much girls, but I am really discerning, and so even no relationship starts. At some point I saw so much (possible) problems, that I didn't felt well - and so I lost trust and break it. And of course, if there's no trust, I cannot talk about my feelings. I can force myself to do it, but it's really not easy.

ENTPs are typical problem-solvers and problem-discoverer. Of course they will concentrate more on problems in a relationship than on positive possibilities. But I think, if we keep this fact in mind, we can overcome it. Seeing possiblities rather than problems is (even objectively) the better way.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How can I break past analytical bullshit when it comes to relationships, and learn how to express myself when needed. Does anyone else experience this issue?

I experienced that problem during the early stages of getting to know my now ENTP husband. I would say, just take the risk of expressing feelings. You don't have to express something huge or really deep, but simply showing some attention, e.g. sincere appreciation of the girl and interest and curiosity in her and what her feelings are, will keep it going. It doesn't mean you've committed yourself to anything with her. You can still leave if a real problem comes up.

Being a woman who's been on the receiving end of an ENTP over-analysing – I can tell you that how it made me feel was like he was only thinking about his own interests and issues and whether or not I would be good for him and his life. It came across as very selfish and business-like because he didn't show any feelings or relate to what I was feeling.

That really turned me off and I said early on, this will never work, just when (he told me later) he was getting more interested. When he thought he would lose the opportunity, all these feelings came out and he showed a very caring side I hadn't seen before. That got me interested again and we're now very happily married :)

Apart from that, welcome to the board and hopefully it will be of help to you.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Could you speficy that a bit? It's obvious that you notice some sort of conflict, but without knowing where this conflict is for you, it's a bit hard to come up with a reply that might help you.

Ha! Instrinct isn't meant to be conscious, it's instinct. In that case the instinct not to do something. Again, some explanation would he helpful. Why exactly do you think you don't tell her?

At first glance, it seems to be some sort of P issue: Fear of closure and restriction. Being the sociable person you are probably makes it even the more difficult for you - having that many options probably makes you question the decisions you've made even more.

I love this post. I have always been attracted to INFx for this very reason. I am an ENTP and I have been in a committed relationship with one and it is the best thing ever.

To the Threadstarter:

We need more information to give you better advice. What is your dating history like? Have you dated in the past or been in committed relationships? Were they terrible? My gut instinct tells me that you're really just making excuses for the fact that you're worried about messing up and/or not living up to your own expectations.

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP
Seeing possiblities rather than problems is (even objectively) the better way.
I can see why that is true. Unfortunately, im not the one for taking responsibility for any issues that aren't mine, which might make the process a bit harder. Though I'm going to have to do it, you make a solid point.

Being a woman who's been on the receiving end of an ENTP over-analysing – I can tell you that how it made me feel was like he was only thinking about his own interests and issues and whether or not I would be good for him and his life. It came across as very selfish and business-like because he didn't show any feelings or relate to what I was feeling.
Its good to see what Ive been doing looks like from the outside. I'm going to have to take a third person perspective on this issue, and like you stated, put more time/interest into whats already there. Thanks for the help/welcome :D

We need more information to give you better advice. What is your dating history like? Have you dated in the past or been in committed relationships? Were they terrible? My gut instinct tells me that you're really just making excuses for the fact that you're worried about messing up and/or not living up to your own expectations.
Dating History: Dated 2 girls in highschool - lasted roughly 1-2 months each because of my lack of expression. We had good times, they were very sexual, but a moderate amount of time spent on me and a lack of telling her how I felt ultimately killed them. Yes, they were committed. We both agreed to see each other exclusively. Through most of the deep/intimate moments were spent talking about life/issues/philosophy, and majorly her, rarely me.

By and large, yes, I am making excuses for myself. Its hard to bring up my two past failures (in my books...commitment wise, and emotionally), which both contribute exponentially to my current thought process regarding relationships. (thanks for pointing that out :)). But like what has been stated, time and time again, I have to put more effort into paying attention to them, and If there is any sign of emotional interest (even not if 100% genuine), it should probably be expressed, IF the situation is suitable.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Id definately say this is an ENTP issue, the innability to settle - always finding fault... it's not good, I get the imrpession that always think something better will come along.

I've not found and answer to this, but it does get easier. be careful to keep working at it, because you may go through phases of beign single for a logn while between relationships which then makes the problem bigger.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've not found and answer to this, but it does get easier. be careful to keep working at it, because you may go through phases of beign single for a logn while between relationships which then makes the problem bigger.

I think the answer is to date around and experience a lot. Then you see that there is no such thing as the "perfect" situation. Having a critical nature can make it difficult to appreciate, but once you appreciate each thing by its own merits and develop your own standard for what is important to you, it becomes easier to choose what is best for you and to be present in a relationship.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the answer is to date around and experience a lot. Then you see that there is no such thing as the "perfect" situation. Having a critical nature can make it difficult to appreciate, but once you appreciate each thing by its own merits and develop your own standard for what is important to you, it becomes easier to choose what is best for you and to be present in a relationship.

to be honest in recent years it's not been so much as looking for perfection as lack of sustainability through circumstances such as logistics etc. I am trying the dating thing but it isn't easy where I am right now.

I do agree, I'm actually pretty snuggly in a relationship and less ENTP liked than a lot of people I think.... I just take a long time between relationships.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, I think ENTP's are pretty soft-hearted for their inner circle.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
yes i totally agree. i keep walls up for non inners. i'm not too concious of being super crical in recent history, but was picky and still filter out heavily before i endulge

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just recently entered a relationship with an ENFP. While I could sit and list the things that are positive about the relationship, the thing that has mattered to me most is the fact that I can't see an end to the relationship (which is good, in my eyes) and that I don't have any doubts. I see plenty of flaws in him. In the past, these flaws might have been deal breakers, but now in retrospect I think I was using flaws as a way to "prove" to myself that that person wasn't relationship material.

Keep meeting people, you'll see the difference when you meet someone that'll fit with you.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I also think this is a general ENTP issue. I've dated a lot in the past and the result is that I can pick up on certain things relatively quickly. I hate to say it but the truth is many people have lots of baggage, and it comes down to which baggage fits with mine.. for me it isn't so much about the other person having flaws but it depends on what those specific flaws are.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just recently entered a relationship with an ENFP. While I could sit and list the things that are positive about the relationship, the thing that has mattered to me most is the fact that I can't see an end to the relationship (which is good, in my eyes) and that I don't have any doubts. I see plenty of flaws in him. In the past, these flaws might have been deal breakers, but now in retrospect I think I was using flaws as a way to "prove" to myself that that person wasn't relationship material.

Keep meeting people, you'll see the difference when you meet someone that'll fit with you.

This thread really offers some valuable insight.
To me, it's really food for thought because, to tell the truth, this is about as much the opposite of me as it can get. When I'm in love, I virtually don't see any flaws at all. I believe my INFP badge is duly earned :) However, it sometimes takes years before I even consider to pursue a relationship because eligible girls are few and far between. Add that to a rather introverted personality, and you get about as many dates a year as there are prongs in a fork (alright, maybe not that few, but I had to get that simile off my chest). It's said that INFPs (maybe NFs in general) are looking for their 'soulmates' - maybe that's piling it on a bit thick, but it goes in the right direction.
The reason I am posting this in the NT forum: Try to see the person not as a sum of some general character traits. Idiosyncrasies, good and bad, are tantamount to the personality, but only in their entirety. I guess my conception of personality is a very holistic one, but hey - that's what you get from an intuitive "feeler" ;) (it's like a bucket of barf - everything sticks together somehow).
I'm about to post some advice that might help you to empathize, but it's already late over here, and I still have to think it through.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
^I think the thing is, Ne allows us to see many things at once. I think many ENTPs can see the parts and the whole simultaneously and are pretty good at understanding several possibilities that can happen based on that Ne+Ti analysis. It's not like we turn this off when the subject we analyzing just so happens to be a potential romance.

This is up for debate but I think that ENTPs are probably one of the only types who are able to see people and situations for exactly what they are. This is what makes us awesome problem solvers and process improvers. This is also what makes us seem picky and seeking perfection. It's not so much that we are searching for a certain ideal, it's just that we can usually tell very quickly what will NOT work. So maybe what it takes other types 3 months to learn about a partner and their relationship, we can learn in 3 dates.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's not so much that we are searching for a certain ideal, it's just that we can usually tell very quickly what will NOT work. So maybe what it takes other types 3 months to learn about a partner and their relationship, we can learn in 3 dates.

I agree with this, especially the bolded part. I'm not so sure about being the only type that can see things for what they are, but I think as ENTPs we certainly have the ability.

I sort of feel like most people look at each other and see mirrors or masks, while we see windows. If that makes any sense ;)

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

Well I can't really comment on romantic relationships being about experienced in that as an 8 year old but I can relate to the part about noticing my friends flaws. At times its great because It means I know where draw the line and tell them there out of order but at others it makes me disengage with them a lot, best example is my parents I find it so hard to get on with them because their flaws are so obvious to me same with many friends! Not sure what we can do about it though!