User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Why are INTs so... NICE?

You know, it recently occurred to me that I've actually very rarely had an INTx say something rude or blunt to me. I mean, occasionally, yes, but not more often than Fs, who seem equally likely to lash out at me.

I tend to assume that they would be more willing to, but often they aren't.

What's more, it seems like while they aren't very overtly expressive, they tend to go out of their way to offer advice, information, explanations, or other kinds of help with something. Even in situations where I wouldn't have bothered or thought it wasn't really my responsibility.

In fact, much of their frustration with people seems to stem from their perception that people are "demanding too much" from them, when it's actually their own sense of obligation and helpfulness that makes them feel pressured to do all of these things.

Am I just imagining this, or am I onto something?

we're only humouring you, and only because it causes us less grief to act nice and play along (instead of just telling you to fuck off and leave us alone GAWD)

Strategy trumps feelings
    Hello

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    we're only humouring you, and only because it causes us less grief to act nice and play along (instead of just telling you to fuck off and leave us alone GAWD)

Strategy trumps feelings

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

It's because the majority of us think we are more intelligent than everyone else and would like to show it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post

Strategy trumps feelings
    Ah. Well, it doesn't matter if you really feel it or not, I appreciate your observing it. Sometimes, it's an act for me as well, depending on the situation.

Fi users might disagree, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    It's because the majority of us think we are more intelligent than everyone else and would like to show it.
    How does this facilitate showing it?

Come to think of it, if you're so sure you're more intelligent than everyone else, why do you care what stupid people think about your intelligence?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Yup. Then again, I enjoy their bluntness.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESFJ

I had a friend .. well kind of .. It was just strange and he was the nice.
    He would listen to what i had to say but rarely reply and if he did, it would be one word replies .. Confident, rarely swore and would basically get his head down at work and be in charge. On our cigarette breaks we would stand near me and again listen but rarely actually partaked in the conversation.

However on one work-do night out, we all crawled back to the pub and people starting drifting home so there was only 3 of us left. I was tipsy .. OK drunk and made my excuses to leave .. He turned round to me and said .. Don't leave, get a another drink you F**king slag .. I was so gobsmacked that 1, he had swore and 2, he was soooo rude. I just walked away.

He never apologised for that comment.

So yeah .. Thay can be very nice .. Maybe INT's, alcohol and me don't go well together.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You shouldn't push us too far.

INTs usually just withdraw or avoid, it's best not to get entangled.
    P's don't like to commit to anything either.
    There's also a big picture sense at play, plus the natural detachment which reduces overtly emotion-driven behavior. And I know for me I see where people are coming from and try to make allowance for their way of thinking and why they might hold to a particular thought, out of fairness.

But if you catch someone in the wrong context, or you violate a core principle (such as continued ignorance or unwillingness to learn), you could catch a bullet between the eyes.

(At least afterward you can expect the situation to go right back to neutral, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200
    In fact, much of their frustration with people seems to stem from their perception that people are "demanding too much" from them, when it's actually their own sense of obligation and helpfulness that makes them feel pressured to do all of these things.
    Conceptually, for INTP's, that an inferior Fe for you, coupled with a potentially weak personal ego. The ego is not tuned into what it desires (from a feelings perspective), it can only determine what it should 'rationally want'; hence, it can't stand up for itself in matters involving personal preference or desire; hence, when someone else requests something, the INTP has a lot of trouble saying 'no' outright, especially because saying 'no' might create bad will and later conflict that will impose on one's freedom even moreso. So it's easier to comply, but it's not done willingly.

I remember so many times not wanting to do what someone wanted but feeling like I had "no rational reason" to say no, so now I had no choice... but i was resentful over it because I tried very hard not to request anything from others and I felt like they were being unfair. It was easier just to stay away from people.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    How does this facilitate showing it?
    Being nice
    ??????????
    Show off intelligence

Twas just one conclusion of a possible many. Don't take it with too much seriousness.
    Come to think of it, if you're so sure you're more intelligent than everyone else, why do you care what stupid people think about your intelligence?
    Never said I was. Just saying it's what the majority of the ignorant INTs think. I'd think it is because these INTs have to live with 'stupid people'.

There's no good reason to be mean.