User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Default ENTP- did you destroy things?

As children, were you nearly incapable of respecting the goods and property of others? Did you improve? Ever?

I'm currently trying to decide whether I should just go ahead and start a bail fund for my child. It's a good thing this kid is so freaking brilliant...perhaps developing into something insanely famous, so as to repay me for all my trouble? Seriously. Experiements involving deodorant, paper, chewing gum and her sibling's hair? So well-intentioned. And so diabolic.

But, really...all exasperation and exaggeration aside, what were you like as children? (fwiw, I actually like my kiddo quite a lot. )
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    As children, were you nearly incapable of respecting the goods and property of others? Did you improve? Ever?

I'm currently trying to decide whether I should just go ahead and start a bail fund for my child. It's a good thing this kid is so freaking brilliant...perhaps developing into something insanely famous, so as to repay me for all my trouble? Seriously. Experiements involving deodorant, paper, chewing gum and her sister's hair? So well-intentioned. And so diabolic.
    Yeah, you're going to want to go ahead and open a savings account. It's obligatory if you intend to responsibly manage your money and remain debt-free. I'm predicting a torched golf field, a car dissassembled and strewn about a parking lot, and a swimming pool filled with a mixture of jello and cooked pasta, among other things.

In all seriousness, as a child I was the exact same way. It's not that I was purposefully destructive. My curiosity just got in the way of actively having compassion for other people's things, and I didn't really even think about the negative consequences of my actions. I was just satiating my curious spirit and having fun. I remember several instances in which my disregard for my things and/or other people's things really got me into trouble. However, upon learning that I inadvertantly brought a level of disharmony into someone else's world, I became slightly guilt-ridden, and I was more cognizant of the same kinds of mistakes in the future. Just tell your ENTP child (in a nice way, of course) that while you understand that he/she has a curious spirit, that spirit should not be filled at the expense of others. Don't be mean about it though. If you are mean, your little ENTP minion is going to continue with his/her whims to spite you, ultimately exacerbating the problem.

MBTI
    ENTP

ah open the account, but more importantly teach the kid to manage money, ENTPs sulk at it... I still do :o

As for being distructive, you know I can't rememeber being actively distructive, but then I ws theyounges tof 11 kids so there was always plenty of junk around to fix... I used to be really good at fixing stuff.. I also like to make stuff out of wood, even now I still sulk with wood but I loved nailign stuff together, I'm excellent in metal though - was the top of my year out fo 300 students.

I had a freakish childhood, my elder bros once bought a car back as scrap and let us young ones take it appart (sounds destructive but it was bought for the purposes)... it was way cool.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

thanks! Good to hear, and makes a lot of sense...the little ENTP in question tends to look at me with complete confusion when I seem irritated at the latest brilliant attempt at invention, and then glibly offers some crazy money making scheme in order to repay me once I explain my frustration. I usually agree, nod solemnly, and then shut the door and bust a lung laughing. If my mind was half as creative and free, I'd totally take over the world myself.

Tink- I knew I was in for a ride when my kiddo completely dismantled a bunk bed set with a screwdriver at the age of 4.5. How cool that your brothers got you a car to dismantle! Not freakish...just really, really awesome.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ENTP

....and then glibly offers some crazy money making scheme in order to repay me once I explain my frustration. I usually agree, nod solemnly, and then shut the door and bust a lung laughing. D
    Don't diss the crazy money making scheme....

I had a soap making racket
    sellign flowers from the garden
    at least 100 kids jobs (delivering papers, local distribution, dish washing etc)
    I also ran my own cheese cake making racket.... My mum use to take a cut for overheads... Nifty earner that one

MBTI
    ENTP

Tink- I knew I was in for a ride when my kiddo completely dismantled a bunk bed set with a screwdriver at the age of 4.5. How cool that your brothers got you a car to dismantle! Not freakish...just really, really awesome.
    LOL I grew up in a house where dismantelling beds on house guests was normal... usually late teen early 20's irish cousins over to be charmed by their scottish relatives.

They would dismantel the bed and hide it aound the room.

Bless his cotton socks, your wee one is just trying to figure out how things work... sadly in an age of micro chips it's not as mecanical as it use to be.... a lot more fun...

MBTI
    ENTP

uh yeah I was destructive. The bathroom was one of my favorite places when I was a teeny tiny kid lol. All those lotions and soaps and makeup and clearners to make stuff out of. My daughter is an enxp I think and she does much of the same.

Don't worry, it gets better. Slowly they learn that its not very nice to just do stuff with other peoples things, that they should at least ask first.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh, remember me. Looked back it is funny, I was really ruthless, destroying plastic basins, pots, toys of others and of mine, and terrorising my teachers.

Then, as I got more and more isolated because of this, it stopped, and I developed some Fe to respect the world of others. I was 14, when the destruction stopped, and 17, when the respect (angst!) for others reached a level, that wasn't healthy.

I cannot give any advise than to let your child drive in real trouble. ENTPs are clever enough to learn about it.
    ** Upgrading my english **
    Corrections for my language are willingly seen

Enneagram: 7w6

MBTI
    ENTP

I felt a pure shot of nostalgia up the butt with this thread, I just had to make an account.
    I was infamous for being that one child in which parents would refrain when their sons/daughters invited me over. On numerous occasions I have dissasembled and reorganized half of my friends houses to better resemble fortresses, thus things breaking.

Its our nature to constantly want to elaborate and concieve new ideas and test them. To the idea of this problem getting better? I acquired an anarchist's cookbook when I was 16, safe to say ill be this way for a long time. For better or for worse

Lol, I was one of those kids that could fix a broken vcr tape by unscrewing the plastic,
    cutting away the damaged part of the film, fixing it with something like quick-dry nail p-
    olish and clear tape, and putting it back together. Now, I can restore a computer ent-
    irely without looking at instructions by following the f-key menus on the start up screen.

ENTJ