• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Distance between ENTP and ENTP

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
There is a strange situation I am in now.

I (male) met a girl, in a working situation, and I saw her one time per week. Early I recognized, she is ENTP (broad gestics, talking much about herself, just a few questions to others, sometimes shy, sometimes open, problems with planning of time, trys to compete me, and so on). The first conversation was very cool and unreserved, but even as we saw much similarities, it was nearly impossible to go deeper.

The more often we meet, the more casual were the conversation. At the last time we couldn't talk anything. I found no starting point. That's strange, has anyone here experienced something like that?

I can better connect to those, who are unfamiliar to me than to a girl, that is very familiar. Strange. There was another ENTP-girl last year, the same happened. She competes me often, I refused and after some time the conversations don't go deeper. ENTP-males are similar, but not so extreme, it seems that I can connect easier to them (I meet them in job situations, a fundament for talking about aims and plans).

Well, question is: How to build deeper rapport with ENTPs?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
forget the competition, and start talkign about interesting subjects....

Your ENTP women may also be ENFPs... they are very similar in many ways.

It sounds like they loose interest, hence they simply saunter off again. If you want to hold my attention I need to be kept engaged in something interesting.

YoungGun2112

MBTI Type
ENTP
I might possibly be able to offer some insight as I have almost gone there with an ENTP woman, to the point we were heavily flirting and spending a lot of time together and considering dating each other. But in the end, it didn't work and I called it off. Here is why:

It was a ton of fun to spend time with her. Our Ne went crazy with one another and we made all sorts of hilarious and intelligent jokes that only the other really, truly got. The neither of us had rules of limits so when we got together we pushed things as far as the other suggested in all walks of life. Activities. Conversations. Yes, sexually too. If one of us made a sexual, flirty reference to the other, the second would immediately try to one-up the first with something even sexier to the point that we were peeling clothes off in thirty seconds.

Conversation was great too, because we could both make random references to something totally unrelated to the subject we were talking about and the other always knew what we meant. Even if the rest of the world didn't. And it allowed us to engage in a conversation cover farting in church, to politics, to economics, to the way certain genders drive, on and on, in only fifteen minutes. It was very fun and mind stimulating.

She enjoyed mind stimulation, as did I, so through our dialogue or what we did we could have some very refreshing and enlightening conversations. Or maybe just go to an education museum or something and absorb all there was to absorb or be amazed. Go to a Quentin Tarantino movie and after wards talks about thirteen different themes we each saw in the movie and why we saw them and each go wtf at the insight.

Our interests were nearly the same, in that we were interested in everything, so we could do almost anything together and be entertained and have fun together.

This was refreshing in that they are experiences I have not had in other relationships. Quite often going to do something we both wanted to do, have sex when the NF was going through a bad mood swing for two weeks at a time, and have that random and witty conversation with a person who was uninteresting, not stimulating, or wanted to cuddle instead and say cheesy-retarded love things back and forth could be trying.

But the ultimate failing in the relationship was this: The neither of us could back down.

If we had an argument about something that ran deep enough into us both it mattered, we would argue until we were blue, not for the sake of solving the problem but only for the sake of being heard and getting our point across to the other so that we could be "right." If we were happy and getting along and talking it could randomly at any moment turn into a barbed half-debate over the smallest things as we would constantly have to one-up the others valuable insight to the argument, to the point we were both frustrated at not winning yet and bitter at the other. This happening enough times could be wearing on the relationship. If it happened with other types, especially feeling types, they would realize what was going on and back down or approach the other in a way that made them feel good about things once again. But neither of us wanted to do that and we became more rivals than partners. I felt no sense of peace with her, as we were constantly and randomly at the knife's edge with the other, and it caused quite a lot of insecurity in the relationship from both sides and made it unhealthy.

Is that to say it could not work? Nope. It certainly could. I do not want to rain on your parade and make you feel as if things are hopeless. Two well developed, mature, and socially aware ENTPs could very easily have a very healthy and long lasting relationship if they only tone down the bullshit and focus on what makes the relationship awesome. The orgasms and crazy fun times of Ne that happens between the two ENTPs, and the thoughtful, intelligent insights that can happen through Ti makes two ENTPS a dynamic that you will not find from any other type, and a very good dynamic at that. It is a dynamic in which you feel that the person opposite you is the only other person in the entire world that is like you and truly gets you. As long as you can both be mature enough to understand where the weaknesses in the relationship lie and work not to one-up the other, it will work.

T

ThatGirl

When I was an ENTP I never experienced this dynamic. ENTPs and I could speak for hours on end for years at a time.

Then again I realized I was a J, so I guess this post is irrelevant.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I (male) met a girl, in a working situation, and I saw her one time per week. Early I recognized, she is ENTP (broad gestics, talking much about herself, just a few questions to others, sometimes shy, sometimes open, problems with planning of time, trys to compete me, and so on). The first conversation was very cool and unreserved, but even as we saw much similarities, it was nearly impossible to go deeper.

The more often we meet, the more casual were the conversation. At the last time we couldn't talk anything. I found no starting point. That's strange, has anyone here experienced something like that?

I can better connect to those, who are unfamiliar to me than to a girl, that is very familiar. Strange. There was another ENTP-girl last year, the same happened. She competes me often, I refused and after some time the conversations don't go deeper. ENTP-males are similar, but not so extreme, it seems that I can connect easier to them (I meet them in job situations, a fundament for talking about aims and plans).

She may be an ENFP as was mentioned. The difference can be hard to pick sometimes.

The other option is you are too similar. Much of our interest comes from seeing something new and different that we don't understand. If she always draws the same conclusions as you or sees things in the same way, you eventually end up in agreement. From there you have little to offer the other except companionship.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
When I was an ENTP I never experienced this dynamic. ENTPs and I could speak for hours on end for years at a time.

Then again I realized I was a J, so I guess this post is irrelevant.

LOL I'm SO pleased you pointed that out... I spend days chatting with an ENTJ collegue and we hardly draw breath it's such a good chat... I do like to chat with ENTPs too but sometimes the weirdness gets in the way

L

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
But the ultimate failing in the relationship was this: The neither of us could back down.

Huge shame with this... sounds like it was an awsome connection, if you'd been a bit maturer it may have worked out in a big way

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Thanks at you all!

It sounds like they loose interest, hence they simply saunter off again. If you want to hold my attention I need to be kept engaged in something interesting.

Maybe that's it. The conversation breaks early, themes I put in had not the effect I wished they would do. What about you? When your interest is gone, what can take it back?

The idea with the ENFP is interesting. I often thought about being an ENFP for myself. I thought, my feeling approach to life was just the active Fe. Maybe I'm wrong. But I would definitely say, she is T. She is really competitive, in working situations, where we worked together she tried to lead it and was sometimes a little bit ruthless. I don't see any searching for harmony NFs typically have. But: Is there a good test, I can set?

@YoungGun:
Thanks for the story, it's good to imagine, how it can work, and how it should work.

In working situations she sometimes seems reserved, the contact to the work-mates is small and reduced to work-situations. In the pauses she's just reading something, but really gets active, if someone is talking to her. I know this from my own situation, some months ago. How can I interprete it?

There's an fact, which could be important to know more about possible reactions: My own role in the group is the funny, warm, talkative and open-minded guy. Attention from others are there. How is the reaction of a female ENTP, when a male ENTP has more influence? Adoration or antipathy? Offensiveness oder defensiveness?

And is there any strategy to open the contact again? Maybe strange idea: What about telling her the interest directly? And another strange idea: What about telling her about herself, about the situation, that ENTPs sometimes gets very introverted and reserved in group situations?

Bah, too much questions :jew:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks at you all!

Maybe that's it. The conversation breaks early, themes I put in had not the effect I wished they would do. What about you? When your interest is gone, what can take it back?

The idea with the ENFP is interesting. I often thought about being an ENFP for myself. I thought, my feeling approach to life was just the active Fe. Maybe I'm wrong. But I would definitely say, she is T. She is really competitive, in working situations, where we worked together she tried to lead it and was sometimes a little bit ruthless. I don't see any searching for harmony NFs typically have. But: Is there a good test, I can set?
:

For me keeping topics fresh is about beign genuiney interested in something, I don't like oober geeky things, but interesting enough to hold my attention. I usually have a few subjects of itnerest going on at once. Right now I'm into Visual literacy and semiotics (although the latter isn't doing it for me right now), slow cooking, and thinking about thinking, the art of thought and what/how it all happens.

As for ENFP - the one I used to work with is nuts about being competivite, and can be a little ruthless. The key test I think is to figure out if end decisions are made with feeling or thought... talk to her about how previous relationships have finished... T types wont stay in a relationship they don't see ending in marraige/commitment. F types seem to ahve bigger issues about spliting up. I really do think the differenece between ENTP/FP is that last bit of decision making, F's use the heart T's use the head

twisugly

MBTI Type
gfdg
Enneagram
fgch

INTxs are viewed as wild-hairs and treated as such, although they provide the technical backbone for corporate enterprises.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do you have deeper discussions with woman, who are not entp ?

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP

This sounds a bit more ENFP to me. Not that I'm a representative for all female ENTPs, but I don't really talk about myself all that much unless people ask. At least in terms of personal things - if you ask me for advice on something I could go on and on and on for awhile about my experience and different methods you could do or take. I think I saw a description of ENTP's somewhere, where it said something like "Ask an ENTP for a way to make tea, and they'll not only tell you 20 different ways to make it, along with their 3 favorite methods, but different places to buy tea and what different kinds of tea are like, and what time of the day you should drink it at, and different experiences they had with the tea..." and so on.

I also love to ask questions. I like bouncing ideas off other people. I like getting opinions from all different views. It helps me come up with a better opinion of my own, and gives me different things to consider, etc etc etc

I only know of one other "for sure" ENTP (he took the test)...and we did quite well with insulting each other. Being friends was incredibly effortless, we watched a lot of the same movies, listened to similar music. We also had the exact same relationship issues and could talk about that. But absolutely ZERO chemistry. Although personally for me, I don't find myself having tons of chemistry with other NTs. I love them as friends, but in terms of anything "more", NFs are where it's at. :D

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
When I hang out with other ENTPs, there is nothing left to say. It's boring.

me: hey, I loved that film
other: me too
me: I was impressed by the...
other: ...low key lighting?
me: Yeah. And the...
other: set design?
me: yeah. (crickets)
other: The other day I came up with an idea about turbojets.
me: Oh, you mean about using a helium compressor?
other: yeah. (crickets)

then dead silence as we stare at each other blankly.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
+1
My best friend is an entp, and sometimes we have really cool talks but it's like, exchanging data with somebody who's coded the same way as I am, I enjoy difference, not similarity.

So yeah, I love the guy and I'd do anything for him. But yeah, no chemistry (as in reaction) but just compatibility.It's sort of a 'safe place' and i'm not a huge fan oif safe places

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Do you have deeper discussions with woman, who are not entp ?

Yeah, often. Especially with ENFJs, INFPs and INTPs. I think, there's much more stuff to talk about. Sometimes I am very direct in my questions, the ENTPs avoid, what others would talk about. It's complicated, I react on same way. Maybe we conditioned each other not to ask. Refusal is taken very personally.

@jenocyde:
Yeah, that were some experiences in past. Agreement kills discussion, and discussion would be fun.

@bowie & thinkerbell:
Thanks for the insight. She seems to be ENTP.

How do you think about the rest?

In working situations she sometimes seems reserved, the contact to the work-mates is small and reduced to work-situations. In the pauses she's just reading something, but really gets active, if someone is talking to her. I know this from my own situation, some months ago. How can I interprete it?

There's an fact, which could be important to know more about possible reactions: My own role in the group is the funny, warm, talkative and open-minded guy. Attention from others are there. How is the reaction of a female ENTP, when a male ENTP has more influence? Adoration or antipathy? Offensiveness oder defensiveness?

And is there any strategy to open the contact again? Maybe strange idea: What about telling her the interest directly? And another strange idea: What about telling her about herself, about the situation, that ENTPs sometimes gets very introverted and reserved in group situations?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Okay, maybe some cool interesting facts. First I hope it's over now. Second I know, she's ENFP. That was a misconception of mine, thinking she is ENTP, because I believed, that just ENTPs don't see, how their actions affect the world. Truely it's the same with ENFPs.

Well, we took a MBTI-test (in a terrible german language, buah :doh: ) in a seminar, I talked to her, asking which type she was, ENFP, saying, that I thought, it was another. Quick break. Later, on the way home she asked, what I thought, I said ENTP, and explained, what I recognized: The strong competition. Her answer: It wasn't in her conscience, and she said about herself, that she isn't sensitive enough to see that.

Now the most facts are clear. For example, that average ENFPs are really not so empathic I thought. And that all the things, which challenged my Fe, are meaningless and unimportant. The last conversation brought the rapport, I searched. And maybe now that's the end of the unfortunate situation, my mind works with since the first meeting.

Thank you for advices. The next ENTP comes cerntainly ;)

And, reflecting this: Maybe INFJs are really better than ENFPs :D

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
When I hang out with other ENTPs, there is nothing left to say. It's boring.

me: hey, I loved that film
other: me too
me: I was impressed by the...
other: ...low key lighting?
me: Yeah. And the...
other: set design?
me: yeah. (crickets)
other: The other day I came up with an idea about turbojets.
me: Oh, you mean about using a helium compressor?
other: yeah. (crickets)

then dead silence as we stare at each other blankly.

Yeah. Me too. I agree. (crickets)

Now the most facts are clear. For example, that average ENFPs are really not so empathic I thought. And that all the things, which challenged my Fe, are meaningless and unimportant. The last conversation brought the rapport, I searched. And maybe now that's the end of the unfortunate situation, my mind works with since the first meeting.

Thank you for advices. The next ENTP comes cerntainly ;)

And, reflecting this: Maybe INFJs are really better than ENFPs :D

I think ENFP's are often pretty narcissistic. Sorta like ENTP's. The saving grace, I think, of the ENTP is they are likely less subjective.

TheLazyAnarchist

MBTI Type
ENTP
In regards to the apparently "very delicate" situation that occurs between two ENTP's when they meet and become socially active, I am not sure whether I am stoked or sad in the fact that I (as far as I know) have never developed a relationship with an another ENTP.

Yes, I have been introduced and briefly struck up conversation with the odd ENTP...but much like the OP, there is this strange sense of (for lack of a better term) "white lying" happening or malicious deceit. We both appear to be rather genuine and interested in the conversation, but it really all seems false..as If we were both aware of how we socially maintained ourselves. --- IF we happen to toss back Ni conversations and ideas, they would often get so zany and competitive in the sense that we were throwing witty comebacks at each others witty comebacks, that our friends (usually the ones that introduced us to each other) would get weirded out and back off. That's usually where the relationship would die.

Or it could be that I am socially retarded. Who knows =]