• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP's and relationships

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ditto.
infps can be critical, thoughtful + objective. Look around the board! I know one just like the one described: analytical and cool about other stuff and feeley monster about his relationships.
intjs are known to crazy with the Fi.

Right, and so can I. So can anyone, but its a major part of his personality. I guess you would have to know him, and reading the type stuff he's not an INFP. He's not 100% sure an INTP, (though I think he probably is), but INFP is ruled out completely.
I've considered intp, istp, intj, and isfp for him. (and infp for a short while after this whole thing started, but that was smothered quickly by the rest of the picture.) Reading type descriptions, more than likely an INTP. The information here is not enough to type him with.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(I would do a start to finish case study on this guy to show his type and the path of this relationship, but I think the solution is still going to be the same. Boundaries and remaining friends for now!)

Well, actually, I just realized in our conversations, he gave me enough information to take the test for him. This is what I got. (assuming he was truthful in everything he told me. Yea, he's a raging introvert. Makes me feel like a superextravert in comparison. )

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
100 12 62 67

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Wow, he's almost an S.

Oh yeah, and here's a third option to whomever posted that long ass post on the 6th page.

3. You could choose to love him indiscriminately and make sure that he knows it. He'll be flabbergasted and will either back off or reciprocate.

You don't need to be truly sincere with number 3. Just remember all of the other how to date an INTP threads. Directness helps.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Wow, he's almost an S.

Oh yeah, and here's a third option to whomever posted that long ass post on the 6th page.

3. You could choose to love him indiscriminately and make sure that he knows it. He'll be flabbergasted and will either back off or reciprocate.

You don't need to be truly sincere with number 3. Just remember all of the other how to date an INTP threads. Directness helps.

What, are you trying to imply that he might be an ISTP instead? :p

To OP: If you decided that he is ISTP, and if after you have identified the problem for him he did not try to fix it, then you can be reasonably sure that he does not care about you at all, regardless of what other "cues" he might give. When there is a problem is when the love of an ISTP shines the brightest.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What, are you trying to imply that he might be an ISTP instead? :p

To OP: If you decided that he is ISTP, and if after you have identified the problem for him he did not try to fix it, then you can be reasonably sure that he does not care about you at all, regardless of what other "cues" he might give. When there is a problem is when the love of an ISTP shines the brightest.

No, I don't think he's an ISTP, i'm pretty sure he's an INTP. I was just throwing other options out that i've thought of.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, he's almost an S.

I think i've been pretty direct. I don't love him, so that wouldn't work for either of us. I don't know him well enough. (I'm still trying to work through my last guy, actually. He knows that, too.) He knows it all. He knows my whole story. He knows I like him and just don't want to lie or play games. He knows I wouldn't mind a relationship but don't need one either. He knows I don't want anything confusing. He knows I enjoy spending time with him, but want to protect my own feelings, etc. He knows that if I want to start dating later than I will not hesitate to do so if nothing changes.

So maybe he's insecure about all this.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
No, I don't think he's an ISTP, i'm pretty sure he's an INTP. I was just throwing other options out that i've thought of.

But why though? Supposedly the difference between INTP and ISTP is mostly internal. I'm not sure what information you have access to, but I would think it'd be hard to distinguish between the two by observation.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But why though? Supposedly the difference between INTP and ISTP is mostly internal. I'm not sure what information you have access to, but I would think it'd be hard to distinguish between the two by observation.

He has that wacky indefinite way of talking, nothing is ever final, everything is always up for debate. He's got a lot of ideas. He's unobservant. His sense of humor is out there. (Well, so is mine so I try not to go on that too much.)

(I always thought the difference was obvious! I also try to type more by the entire type description rather than single dichotomies.)

And well, actually this thread wasn't really questioning his type so much as his actions...

Actually I think a few people have already hit the nail on the head with that. Jennifer and Spamtar and a few others in the beginning said things that he pretty much already told me. Except they said it in a more linear way (and it was an outside perspective. Shout out to Misty Mountain Rose for taking the words out of my mouth, too :) )

Maybe if I have an IM conversation with him I'll throw it up for an example later.

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is making me gush and I've only read the first page :)

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
He has that wacky indefinite way of talking, nothing is ever final, everything is always up for debate. He's got a lot of ideas. He's unobservant. His sense of humor is out there. (Well, so is mine so I try not to go on that too much.)

(I always thought the difference was obvious!)

Bold parts are Ti traits. ISTPs and INTPs do differ in the way they derive ideas, one through intuition and the other through senses, but then again how they reach their conclusion only themselves know.

Underlined part I need clarification, is this matter related to feelings? If it is so, then it is a feature of inferior Fe. Otherwise, both ISTP and INTP are suppose to be precise in speech, and always makes sense.

As to being unobservant, You need to figure out whether he is truly oblivious, in which case he may likely be INTP, or he is pretending to be oblivious, in which case he may likely be ISTP.

I don't normally associate humor with types personally.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bold parts are Ti traits. ISTPs and INTPs do differ in the way they derive ideas, one through intuition and the other through senses, but then again how they reach their conclusion only themselves know.

Underlined part I need clarification, is this matter related to feelings? If it is so, then it is a feature of inferior Fe. Otherwise, both ISTP and INTP are suppose to be precise in speech, and always makes sense.

Italicized part you need to clarify. I don't know how but you need to figure out whether he is truly oblivious, in which case he may likely be INTP, or he is pretending to be oblivious, in which case he may likely be ISTP.

I don't normally associate humor with types personally.

The INTP type description fits better than ISTP.
I don't know how else to describe it.
If you think that he's an ISTP based on what you've read, then you are welcome to put your advice in as well, since I don't really want to spend the time walking through the descriptions and giving examples to convince you otherwise.

(I'm really looking for practical advice based on his actions more than trying to prove how I arrived at his type. If others think he's an INFP, ISTP, xxxx, whatever, based on only what i've said, they are also welcome to input! There. I should have myself covered here.)

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know how else to describe it.
If you think that he's an ISTP based on what you've read, then you are welcome to put your advice in as well, since I don't really want to spend the time walking through the descriptions and giving examples to convince you otherwise.

This is your problem. Not mine. I find the type descriptions biased personally. I much prefer building understanding though the functions.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is your problem. Not mine. I find the type descriptions biased personally. I much prefer building understanding though the functions.

Well, its like I said, if you're bursting with advice for dealing with this in an ISTP, go for it! Can still be insightful whatever his type is.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Well, its like I said, if you're bursting with advice for dealing with this in an ISTP, go for it! Can still be insightful whatever his type is.

My next advice is re-read stuff you missed from previous posts.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My next advice is re-read stuff you missed from previous posts.

No, I got it, I think.

If I decided that he's an ISTP, then I can be reasonably sure that he doesn't care at all. If there's a problem he would have fixed it by now.

And that my examples were ones of Ti and not Ti plus Ne.

and that I need to ask myself more questions before typing him. He may be an ISTP.

Thanks!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How old is this guy?

He's young. He's only 23 going on 15. ;)
Wait.
That makes me feel a little creepy.
okay he's 23 going on 19.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Wait.

400px-Chris_hansen_watchingyou.jpg

He sounds pretty immature, find an older guy, the male brain doesn't fully develop until 25. Though we are giant babies for life in many ways.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Wait.

Creep creep creeepin! :p

I'd offer myself as a viable replacement INTP, but alas, it shall not be. If you still want to work it out with that other INTP, I'd suggest trying to be as open as possible when you think he's misreading you. Be upfront and very clear about whatever your intentions and feelings are so that he actually understands and doesn't have to jump to conclusions. Unfortunately for us, it we get to the point where we feel like we have to second guess your intentions, I've found that the relationship is already on the downhill slope. Trust for INTPs means A LOT, and if it begins to wane in any part of their mind then it needs to be corrected promptly or it will continue to be a growing thorn in the relationship.

Sometimes our social ineptitude and strong Ti leads us to false conclusions about the people we love, and their intentions. In this depressing world full of unscrupulous characters, we sometimes get carried away with the possibilities floating in our minds (...paranoia) and fail to see the true nature of those close to us. Just tell him you love him, and tell him to stop acting that we because it annoys you and puts a strain on the relationship. Tell him not to worry so much.

And if that doesn't work then... :hi: ;) .

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Type description can feel like it fits someone really well, especially when looking two types with near same functions. You should look at functions seperatly what fits better on him.

Extraverted iNtuiting
vs
Extraverted Sensing

intp and istp use these both, but stronger function shows stronger and more often. you can see if someone is sensor or intuitive quite easilly when you know what your looking for.