User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    You should learn to take note of empirical evidence that someone is joking.

And no, you're the one with an obsession. I only have to keep bringing it up because you never seem to take anything seriously without it.
    Tell me I did not just read this.
    What a goofball.

Of course I knew you were kidding.
    I was ALSO kidding you back by accusing you of being obsessed with empirical evidence, since I know you hate empiricism!

Sarcasm goes right over your head, like the rockets red glare.
    The bombs bursting in fucking air.

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

MBTI
    ISTP

As many of you correctly show that this question can be branched out in many directions, but many of these strike me as unimportant because the fundamental subject is found in behavior and motivation, not semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Everyone internally agrees about everything. They just don't know it because they express themselves through different means.
    I believe this is moving towards the crux of the issue!

We share a common reality and truth, that is why something like the scientific method can function. Knowledge is what one knows about this common reality, and intelligence is the manner by which one knows anything.

Humanity as a whole seeks to increase our tribal knowledge. The greatest contributors to this are often those who are the most intelligent, so we place value on intelligence because from intelligence we expect to receive knowledge. It is somewhat of a fallacy because intelligent people are not omniscient and it is not intelligence but the possible byproducts of it that is valuable.

The offense of pseudo-intellectualism is that, whether highly intelligent or not, the focus is on what one stands to gain through appearing intelligent at all times. Because the person appears intelligent we assume they are conveying knowledge and they become valuable to us. Their goal is to become valuable to others whether they are of actual value to us or not.

Truth is contingent on integrity. In my opinion, the irony of the pseudo-intellectual is what makes them the worst offender of cheaters and deceivers. Our intelligence is a manner we can refine, but knowledge still remains the important product. Considering that, we should convey our relative level of knowledge to others as accurately as we can, this prevents us from replacing greater amounts of knowledge with lesser amounts that simply seem like more. Unfortunately it can be difficult to know relatively how little we know, but we should at least start with a concern for such accountability, no?

For those that have asked, the benefit of discussing this is to understand a problem, become more aware of it in ourselves and others, and attempt to refrain. Lots of interesting points, thank you for the input that has been given (and any yet to come) I will certainly ponder this further.

MBTI
    ENTP

I do not think that you have enough knowledge on pseudo-intellectualism to make these assumptions about these so called pseudo-intellectuals. Wouldn't you just be a pseudo-intellectual talking about pseudo-intellectuals then? Knowledge about any given subject is possibly boundless, the only thing needed, in this case, is more. How does one know if they have enough knowledge on a subject to be able to speak about it intellectually? If knowledge can continuously be obtained, and we cannot talk about a topic unless we have every single piece of information possible on this topic, then there would be no intellectualism at all, since nobody would talk.
    If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by redsox44344 View Post
    I do not think that you have enough knowledge on pseudo-intellectualism to make these assumptions about these so called pseudo-intellectuals. Wouldn't you just be a pseudo-intellectual talking about pseudo-intellectuals then? Knowledge about any given subject is possibly boundless, the only thing needed, in this case, is more.
    It is not complicated, just consider what one stands to gain by appearing intelligent and the consequences to everyone else. Whether I "know what I'm talking about" or not is irrelevant because any of you can understand this.

On a side note, will boundless knowledge make any of it true? Maybe we need less of the same thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Pseudo-intellectualism is commonplace, not restricted to any specific type. Of note, however, is that NTs who aren't actually very smart are especially prone to Pseudo-intellectualism, at least in my experiences.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Consequences? Even if one has limited knowledge in a subject, there is still a chance that they have a piece of information that you do not. Whether they misrepresent everything else on the subject, doesn't that mean that the person still intellectually presented a piece of information true and not thought about previously? Therefore, they are consequently positively, rather than negatively contributing to the discussion.

MBTI
    ISTP

Consequences? Even if one has limited knowledge in a subject, there is still a chance that they have a piece of information that you do not. Whether they misrepresent everything else on the subject, doesn't that mean that the person still intellectually presented a piece of information true and not thought about previously? Therefore, they are consequently positively, rather than negatively contributing to the discussion.
    I see. You won't mind if I give you a $20 and all my credit card debt then, it's all I have to give you.

I apologize, ignore me... I can't help but tease sometimes. Reminds me of a story--would you want to eat a cookie made from a batch with just a tiny bit of dog shit mixed in?

MBTI
    ENTP

touché. However, we are talking about information, not banking. While the point you make has merit, without these small pieces of truth within large blocks of misinterpretation, we would have never figured out some of the smallest but most important problems and discoveries in history. At times, the most radical sounding thing will actually be the truth.

MBTI
    ISTP

touché. However, we are talking about information, not banking. While the point you make has merit, without these small pieces of truth within large blocks of misinterpretation, we would have never figured out some of the smallest but most important problems and discoveries in history. At times, the most radical sounding thing will actually be the truth.
    I can't disagree with that!

I suffer from the engineer's burden... "it could be better!"

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Why would anyone admit to being a PI? I'm confused.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.